PDA

View Full Version : SPIN OFF: Riding in PJs? And I don't mean saddles!

tidy rabbit
Dec. 4, 2009, 10:12 PM
Have some respect for the damn sport!

Would you show up for cheer leading or soccer or marching band in your PJs? Where's the dignity?

:eek:

MHM
Dec. 4, 2009, 10:17 PM
Maybe I'm getting old, but the whole concept of wearing PJs in public is beyond me. Get up, get dressed, THEN leave the house.

billiebob
Dec. 4, 2009, 10:36 PM
OK, I was cold last night. So I wore my beloved Irideon supplex leggings to bed. Then I wore them under some workout pants to ride/work in today. Technically, I rode in my pajamas. :D

However, the big flannel pj pants (or the like) in public just aren't my style either!

AmandaandTuff
Dec. 4, 2009, 10:45 PM
A lot of kids at band camp actually wear PJ bottoms for practice.

I wore PJ bottoms over my breeches once to warm up a difficult horse, didn't want to get my breeches muddy from the other horses in the wet warm up ring.

dghunter
Dec. 4, 2009, 10:50 PM
I used to wear pajamas to school all the time. Now I try to keep it to sweatpants or jeans. But I wear pajamas to shows all the time to cover my breeches and keep them clean. Have never ridden in them though as I would they think they would be slippery?

lizathenag
Dec. 4, 2009, 10:50 PM
I way prefer girls in PJs than their underwear or short shorts!

WishIWereRiding
Dec. 4, 2009, 10:51 PM
I can't stand it! Keep the PJs at home.

BayRuth
Dec. 4, 2009, 10:56 PM
Tell me- why is riding in pajamas /SO/ much worse than riding in breeches? yeah, it looks cleaner. But what's the BIG deal in wearing pajamas?

And I get you wanting to look nice in lessons- I only wear pajamas when I'm hacking (riding out), or when I'm alone. I agree, many people look like they just rolled out of bed, but you know, I at least brush my hair.. and when you've got to muck stalls, do other laborious things, well why ruin your best polo? There's no point.

Riding in pajamas (in my opinion) is fine. It's not much different than riding in breeches.

allybox
Dec. 4, 2009, 10:56 PM
I once saw a girl warmup at a show in bright pink plaid pj pants and a half unbuttoned sleeveless show shirt. She did attempt to put her hair in her helmet, but it was done messily and just added to the "look". My trainer and I were horrified! :eek:

Whoever above suggested that pj pants should be slippery was right because when it started to rain she promptly slipped right out of the tack.

^Wish that wasn't a true story! It was a pretty big show too :no:

theroanypony
Dec. 4, 2009, 11:10 PM
Seeing as I'm usually falling asleep on my horse, PJ's might be a great idea...:lol:

ETA; oh wow, just read this whole thread.. Didn't realize it was a serious subject. I've never seen anyone ride in pjs. Wow. Whats the point?

eventingismylife
Dec. 5, 2009, 12:02 AM
I dont understand how people think that breeches and pj pants are pretty much the same thing.... Breeches are form fitting riding "pants", while 99% of all pj pants are baggy and hard to work in. They can/are easily a hazard.I totally get the whole sweat pants over your breeches at a show- I do that all the time. But I dont ride in them even in warm up. I take them off. Also people wont respect you or take you seriously, thats the gosh awful truth of it all.

magicteetango
Dec. 5, 2009, 12:25 AM
I'm a pretty casual girl but PJ pants are too loose. They can easily get wrapped around your stirrup or stuck in the iron (this sounds silly, but it could happen). Maybe I've ridden too many jerk horses but I'm worst case scenario.

I generally ride in jeans, but my snow pants are looking pretty appetizing for this winter =)

RugBug
Dec. 5, 2009, 12:59 AM
I read about riding in PJs on the other thread and my first reaction was :eek: and then "that must hurt like hell!" Can you imagine the saddle sores? I doubt you can be using your leg correctly if you're not getting saddle sores in loosely fitting, thin-materialed "pants."

I'm not old to wear PJs pants as coveralls for show clothes, but I do understand the kids doing that. I probably would've done it at that age. I can tell you, however, that as a parent, my kid WOULD NOT be wearing PJs to school unless they were in college and deciding for themselves. 'Course I grew up with a mother who didn't allow me to wear jeans to school until middle school and shorts until I was in high school. Something about respect and all that jazz.

hb
Dec. 5, 2009, 01:15 AM
I can tell you, however, that as a parent, my kid WOULD NOT be wearing PJs to school unless they were in college and deciding for themselves.

Unless they rolled up the PJs, stuffed them in their backpack, and changed at school!

klmck63
Dec. 5, 2009, 02:16 AM
Unless they rolled up the PJs, stuffed them in their backpack, and changed at school!

But then what's the point?? Isn't the whole idea to not have to get dressed in the morning? :lol: I hope it isn't for fashion!

I have worn pj's in public on two occasions:

As coveralls while mucking stalls at shows when I forgot sweats. (plain blackwatch plaid ones)

On pj day at school where we were excused form uniforms if and only if we wore pajamas... :lol: I'll admit it was comfortable. But I changed from the pjs I slept in to a new set to go to school in... :lol:

Defying Logic
Dec. 5, 2009, 02:22 AM
I rode in pjs in a class at a show once. Of course, it was a costume class and my horse was dressed as a bed, so...:lol:

fordtraktor
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:35 AM
Can't say I've ever seen anyone ride in PJs -- crazy. But I pretty much only ride in yoga pants. They are just as nice as most "schooling" breeches, plus I can stop by the grocery store on the way home in comfort and comparative style.

WendellsGirl
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:23 AM
I have a student who you will see in PJ bottoms @ shows. But, its because she is hard at work prepping her horse and others right up until the time she goes in the ring and those PJ pants keep her breeches and boots clean. They come off easily and in the ring she goes.

SarahandSam
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:29 AM
I have a student who you will see in PJ bottoms @ shows. But, its because she is hard at work prepping her horse and others right up until the time she goes in the ring and those PJ pants keep her breeches and boots clean. They come off easily and in the ring she goes.

That I can understand... I do the same if I take my horse to a show; I don't have time to change, so in the morning I put on my show breeches, belt and tank top, then over that I wear sweatpants or PJ/yoga style pants (no big fluffy Looney Toons or anything like that though) and a sweatshirt or t-shirt and paddock boots, and I'll warm up like that. Then I just have to take off the sweats and put on my show shirt, jacket and tall boots and I'm clean and ready to go. So I don't mind seeing people in a rainbow of craziness at a morning warm-up, it lets me fit in better. (:

ThisIsIt
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:48 AM
I don't mind if you have your horses at your barn and you just hop on bareback for a little while. No one is going to see you, and you are just hopping on for a few minutes. If you board somewhere, with BO and other riders, I feel like you have an obligation to look nice and be prepared. Unless it's a specific circumstance, when you go out and ride somewhere, I feel like appropriate dress is definately required.

heartinrye
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:07 AM
I really don't understand riding in PJ's... although I'm that weird person who puts on nice breeches and tall boots to hop on her retired horse bareback and go to the back fields and graze! haha... I will ride in jeans once in a blue moon, but I find that difficult, I couldn't imagine how uncomfortable riding in loose/bunching up/thin flannel pants...

spmoonie
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:43 AM
I will admit, I have ridden in short shorts, baggy T-Shirts, bathing suits (We were taking the horses swimming), and tank tops, but I can proudly say I have never ridden in PJs. I have worn them to shows to keep clean, but of course I take them off before I get on. I have since matured from my baggy T Shirt days and greatly prefer nice breeches, a fitted top, and tall boots.

MHM
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:55 AM
I rode in pjs in a class at a show once. Of course, it was a costume class and my horse was dressed as a bed, so...:lol:

OK, I'll bite. How do you dress a horse as a bed?

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 5, 2009, 10:01 AM
Tell me- why is riding in pajamas /SO/ much worse than riding in breeches? yeah, it looks cleaner. But what's the BIG deal in wearing pajamas?

And I get you wanting to look nice in lessons- I only wear pajamas when I'm hacking (riding out), or when I'm alone. I agree, many people look like they just rolled out of bed, but you know, I at least brush my hair.. and when you've got to muck stalls, do other laborious things, well why ruin your best polo? There's no point.

Riding in pajamas (in my opinion) is fine. It's not much different than riding in breeches.

Looking nice aside, it's about being effective in the tack, and a safety issue.

AdultAmmy
Dec. 5, 2009, 11:05 AM
When I was showing we would show up wearing a clean pair of sweatpants over our breeches. We took them off to school, then put them right back on while standing around. We did this to keep clean. We were never allowed to ride in sweats or PJs, not at the barn, not at a show.

While riding we were to wear breeches and tall boots, or a nice pair of jeans and half chaps. Our hair was to be netted and up in the helmet. Our shirts were to be tucked in, a belt was to be worn. Polo's or a nice t-shirt were required.

This dress code was at a small show facility. There were about 10-12 boarders, and very few lesson kids.

I respected the policy and my trainer for enforcing the rules. I absolutely refuse to show up at any facility wearing anything but breeches tall boots and a nice shirt. Be it a polo T or sweater. My hair is always in a hair net, and it is always tucked neatly under my helmet. This is how I dress, this is how I will (more than likely) always dress. Its what Im used to.

pepefrances
Dec. 5, 2009, 11:18 AM
I've seen kids (as in teens) wear them to church:confused: So I can't say I'm surprised to hear some wear them to the barn.

Trixie
Dec. 5, 2009, 01:04 PM
I read about riding in PJs on the other thread and my first reaction was and then "that must hurt like hell!" Can you imagine the saddle sores? I doubt you can be using your leg correctly if you're not getting saddle sores in loosely fitting, thin-materialed "pants."

That was my first thought, too - OW! Most of my PJ bottoms are loose soft flannel, how can that be comfortable to ride in?

heartinrye
Dec. 5, 2009, 01:10 PM
I've seen kids (as in teens) wear them to church:confused: So I can't say I'm surprised to hear some wear them to the barn.

I went to the Vatican for Christmas Morning Mass, and a teenager in front of me was wearing "Boys are Stupid, throw rocks at them" pajama pants- to meet the POPE on CHRISTMAS!

Right then was when I realized why the rest of the world hates Americans.

BayRuth
Dec. 5, 2009, 01:15 PM
Looking nice aside, it's about being effective in the tack, and a safety issue.

I ride in pj's all the time. /All The Time/. But only when there's nobody else around or when I'm hacking (and there's no camp, lessons, only instructor there, etc.) I don't see why you have to look nice for that.

I don't know about you, but I'm as effective in pajama's as I am when I'm wearing breeches. You put half chaps and boots on, and there you go. Now I forgot to mention in my first post- I don't wear baggy pajama pants. At all. That, I admit, is a safety issue and I'm not even gonna get into that. But tighter fitting pajama pants, they are yet to be seen as an issue in my eyes.

Defying Logic
Dec. 5, 2009, 01:16 PM
OK, I'll bite. How do you dress a horse as a bed?

It was actually really simple. I tied pillows to her neck and the draped a sheet over her back. I went between the sheet and her.

JenEM
Dec. 5, 2009, 02:03 PM
I just don't get the lack of effort involved. I mean, don't you still have to take off the shirt you slept in to put on a bra before you leave the house? So what's taking another 30 seconds to swap out the PJs for a pair of jeans. I'm sitting here in flannel PJ bottoms right now, and could walk to my bedroom, put on jeans, and be back to the computer in less than 30 seconds. It just seems LAZY.

saultgirl
Dec. 5, 2009, 02:13 PM
There was a Beth Underhill clinic at a local barn and a girl showed up to RIDE IN THE CLINIC in her pajamas!! I hear she got a good talking-to after that because on day 2 she was wearing proper clothes.

klmck63
Dec. 5, 2009, 02:40 PM

There was a Beth Underhill clinic at a local barn and a girl showed up to RIDE IN THE CLINIC in her pajamas!! I hear she got a good talking-to after that because on day 2 she was wearing proper clothes.

Jersey Fresh
Dec. 5, 2009, 04:20 PM
Have some respect for the damn sport!

Would you show up for cheer leading or soccer or marching band in your PJs? Where's the dignity?

was this by chance in the schooling ring at a certain local horse show? ;)

virtus02
Dec. 5, 2009, 04:26 PM
It bothers me so much when I see people over the age of 7 wearing PJ pants over their breeches! Come on people are you really that messy?? I have never actually seen people ride in them though, that is insane! If people really feel the need to rely on an extra layer to keep their pants clean why cant they just wear track pants or sweatpants at least! But 15 yr old girls wearing bright pink flannel PJs at shows!! Kinda embarrassing...

MHM
Dec. 5, 2009, 04:41 PM
It was actually really simple. I tied pillows to her neck and the draped a sheet over her back. I went between the sheet and her.

Aww, that sounds cute. Any pictures?

TheJenners
Dec. 5, 2009, 04:42 PM
Yes actually, I am that messy. And I do get black boogers blown on me from friendly equines. Or get dirt on my hand or arm, not notice, and wipe my pants. Ever given a kid a leg-up, only to have them scrape their heel up your thigh? I have.

Beam Me Up
Dec. 5, 2009, 04:51 PM
Eh, it doesn't sound very comfortable (though IMO probably better than jeans), but I don't really care what other people wear to ride.

LookinSouth
Dec. 5, 2009, 05:54 PM
But 15 yr old girls wearing bright pink flannel PJs at shows!! Kinda embarrassing...

Well for some teenagers wearing PJ's to school is the current trend so why wouldn't they think it's fine to wear them to the barn? :lol:

kateh
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:21 PM
I don't get the fuss. I understand dressing nice for lessons or if you're at a competitive show barn where the appearance of the barn matters (because you're trying to impress people...). But schooling a horse at a small/backyard barn? I don't care what you wear as long as it covers you and is safe. I ride because I enjoy it and it's fun, not because it's a "noble" sport. The horses I've seen ridden by a rider in pjs didn't seem to mind.

Come to think of it, I've always been kind of annoyed with some of the old traditions. Breeches and tall boots I understand (and like)-they give a good range of motion, protect your leg, etc. But really, a wool show jacket in the middle of the summer? We're one of the only sports that puts on more restrictive clothing to compete. I doubt the quality of riding would change if we all showed in breeches and polos. And I think we could still take our sport as seriously as we do now.

Defying Logic
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:06 PM
Aww, that sounds cute. Any pictures?

Unfortunately, no. My dad was announcing, so I didn't have anyone on the ground to get any.

broughton_sporthorses
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:43 PM
But instead of wearing PJs to keep your breeches clean at shows, why not wear trackpants... instead of the clothes that you are supposed to sleep in. I have no idea why you would want to do anything but sleep or laze around at home in them. Honestly, how hard is it to get dressed in the morning!

Heinz 57
Dec. 5, 2009, 10:02 PM
I don't ride in my pajamas, but I DO show up to shows at 6am wearing them over my breeches.

And, I don't get why any of you would care that I do. I take them off before I mount, but it saves me from my four year old's goobers, hair, hay, snot, and mud. The fact that they are usually my light pink, yellow, blue and green striped ones from Victoria's Secret should be irrelevant. I also have a pair that are light blue with clouds on them (also from VS!), would that be more acceptable? I don't like track pants. Personally, sweats (of any color) look just as dorky and tend to leave fuzzies on my breeches.

I show up with a healthy, shiny, happy horse, appropriately fitting, clean tack, and I work year round to be a good rider on a good horse (and have the ribbons to show for it). Laugh at my pink striped pants all you want!

However, the OP was talking about RIDING in PJ's, and I can't say I've done that. I enjoy getting dressed up for shows, and only don the PJ's to keep myself looking nice.

ETA: FWIW, for those concerned, I don't actually SLEEP in any of my PJ pants. :P

pinkme
Dec. 7, 2009, 09:22 PM
VOMIT! You buy show clothes, if you are THAT messy, why not buy track pants or the like to cover up with. If you have to take pants off before you ride, why not just wear jeans and put your breeches on before you go into the ring? And time is not an excuse. Make time, get up earlier, if need be. I can get a pony into one ring, a childrens hunter in another and have a jumper warming up (all by 7:30), with stalls done, everyone fed, tacked up, ready to go into the ring. And I do not get to the show grounds before 5am.
I wear BARN clothes (jeans and a polo) then allow time before my classes to get dressed. Its not that hard. And no, I dont have hired grooms.

I can see wearing PJ pants to do stalls, at home, at your own place or if you are the only one there. I have worn scub bottoms.

AmandaandTuff
Dec. 7, 2009, 09:34 PM
I wear single color (black or grey) pajama bottoms that aren't huge and baggy. My horse is that messy and I'm usually helping younger kids right up until I have to be walking in that gate. One day I had the misfortune of having someone trip and fling their ketchup covered hot dog into my lap. No extra breeches. So I had to ride with a huge red spot. That's when I started wearing PJ pants.

I go with cheap pants that I can get dirty and use as a rag if I must. Believe me, I take them off, mount, wipe my boots, and have someone wipe out my mares nose if she has a couple boogers. With my PJ pants. Perfect material :) Then throw in the washer and repeat.

BeastieSlave
Dec. 8, 2009, 08:46 AM
Riding in pjs?! My #2 kid will wear pj bottoms over her breeches before classes when she gets dressed at the hotel and is doing chores. She's never ridden in them!

As for me, no way will you catch me anywhere in public wearing pajamas!

Ozone
Dec. 8, 2009, 09:11 AM
I am trying to figure out what the big deal of riding in PJ's are when 1/2 the population wear PJ's to the store, to school... to college etc. Have you ever looked around in walmart? I would rather like to see some people in jammies then leather pants, rings and diamond stuck in ever part of their face, black lip stick..

Someone said they were horrified to see someone schooling without a hair net, pink PJ bottoms and a show shirt unbuttoned. Was that person your kid? Someone that rides at your barn? If not it is non-ya-business what they are wearing and afterall, it is SCHOOLING. Not many can say they have see someone actually showing in PJ's.

We may as well knock wind-pants too. I see everyone the morning of a show in them....

AmandaandTuff
Dec. 8, 2009, 10:06 AM
How about those who ride dressed like this in warm up at shows? I get annoyed seeing someone in shorts riding their horse in warm up. I'd rather see PJ pants than booty shorts while riding. Though mine are far from short shorts, get the picture.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d77/DontBelieveInMe/stuff_083-1.jpg

(This is me at home taking an unexpected ride on the retired horse. Poor guy.)

Void
Dec. 8, 2009, 12:04 PM
It bothers me so much when I see people over the age of 7 wearing PJ pants over their breeches! Come on people are you really that messy?? I have never actually seen people ride in them though, that is insane! If people really feel the need to rely on an extra layer to keep their pants clean why cant they just wear track pants or sweatpants at least! But 15 yr old girls wearing bright pink flannel PJs at shows!! Kinda embarrassing...

I get that messy and I wear my "pjs" over my breeches to tack and muck and pull them off before I go into the ring. Though I guess my classification for PJ's is different then some since I wear nice yoga pants to bed with my college name on them.

oharabear
Dec. 8, 2009, 12:51 PM
It's never even occurred to me to notice or care what other people are wearing around the show grounds in the wee hours of the morning. I generally only care about getting coffee, getting my horse ready, then making myself presentable before going in the ring. In that order.

I WILL, however, pay attention to them when they're in the ring. Because, in my opinion, that's when it actually matters. I've had some pretty non-glamorous moments at horse shows myself, so I think as long as the riders can pull it together before starting their class, who am I to judge?

lovehors86
Dec. 8, 2009, 12:59 PM
I find this kinda funny cause I was just completely emptying and going through my tack box and found a pair of pajama pants that the mice had decided to have for lunch!!! I probably changed out of them at the barn when I decided to ride one day and they never left...

Tini Sea Soldier
Dec. 8, 2009, 03:32 PM
I ended up riding 2 horses (well, a horse and a pony) after running a 5k on Thanksgiving morning. I didn't expect to be riding, so all I had was my warmups, no jeans. Luckily, my Tredsteps, Ariats, and CO reside @ the barn!
Seriously, I haven't looked so bad apparel-wise since the first week I started riding at girl scout camp in the '80s!!! Thankfully, I was the only one at the barn, otherwise, I would have been absolutely mortified!!! Now, I'm the sort of person that only throws on my breeches if I'm lessoning, showing, or clinicing (is that a word?), but I try to present myself as put together as possible... especially when I'm riding someone else's horse or pony!!!
I have a rule where I give everyone a grace period of 6 months to get it together when they start riding. I recognize that I was a complete hot mess when I started and didn't realize that rubber boots weren't cool, etc, etc until I started getting more into the sport. Riding hunters and jumpers as a beginner takes some transitioning to get the correct look and style... but after awhile... COME ON. It doesn't take all the $$$ in the world... so many tack companies have decent knock-offs... and slim-fitting jeans and half chaps can present a clean and workman-like appearance if paired with a nice-fitting fleece top or polo shirt.

Falconfree
Dec. 8, 2009, 07:34 PM
This thread reminded me of when I was 8-10 years old and we would have a couple weeks of "camp" at the barn every summer. It was really informal. As in we slept in the tack room (the occasional boys at camp had to sleep in the house with the male BO), each were assigned a horse that was our's for the week, and during the day had free rein to do whatever we wanted with it. We only had one lesson each day, and just played with games with the horses the rest of the time. My best friend and I would get up before anyone else and go bareback riding in the pastures (in our PJs). We also spent a lot of time bareback riding in shorts during the day during camp. Good times.

Apparently seeing us would have really annoyed some people. :lol:

I don't get the fuss. I understand dressing nice for lessons or if you're at a competitive show barn where the appearance of the barn matters (because you're trying to impress people...). But schooling a horse at a small/backyard barn? I don't care what you wear as long as it covers you and is safe. I ride because I enjoy it and it's fun, not because it's a "noble" sport. The horses I've seen ridden by a rider in pjs didn't seem to mind.

Seconded.

irishequestrian29
Dec. 11, 2009, 02:19 PM
i confess i have ridden in sweatpants, but i wore half chaps over them and my riding boots, just so happens i was at the barn, and somone asked me to ride and i didnt have any riding clothes on me just my gear in my car. so i dont think it was unsafe or really unlike riding in riding pants, just a lil baggy. i would never wear pj pants (or do i ever in public), or sneakers to ride in though, that urks me when i see people doing that in a saddle. bareback sure thats fine.

Grataan
Dec. 11, 2009, 02:58 PM
A lot of kids at band camp actually wear PJ bottoms for practice.

I wore PJ bottoms over my breeches once to warm up a difficult horse, didn't want to get my breeches muddy from the other horses in the wet warm up ring.

I've done this, but technically I wear my PJs to work every day (I sleep in oversized scrub pants, leftover habit from vet school and the starving vet student days). However, the things I wear to work are clean and pressed and not the same ones I wear to bed.

Although yesterday I had an afternoon off and I wore flannel pants under my jeans and chaps because it was sooooo cold.

JumpRoo
Dec. 11, 2009, 04:34 PM
this thread is so funny because I am now taking my riding seriously (just the last few years) and before that I think i started the PJ tread. Without fail I wore them all of highschool and then to the barn. I never once had a single problem and jumped many a horse over many a large fence. I wore them over my breeches and even had the kids following suit. Obviously it is unprofessional so I dont think i have worn a pair to ride or during the day in at least four years but still I never had a problem IN them so i guess i dont have a problem WITH them...