PDA

View Full Version : My new horse!

Wee Dee Trrr
Dec. 4, 2009, 06:59 PM
I bought a new event prospect about a month ago. It took some convincing from a friend and trainer because this horse looks TERRIBLE! He's currently 200 lbs under weight and obviously no muscle (and grey :no:). He is quiet quiet quiet though with great bone, and feet. Definitely the "type" I was looking for.

Let me know if anyone has any insights from his pedigree! I'm hoping to have a lot of fun with this guy in the summer. :D

http://www.pedigreequery.com/wee+dee+trrr

eventingismylife
Dec. 4, 2009, 07:55 PM
Congrats! I had a grey TB and what really helped with melanomas and prevention of new ones forming was a natural product called Nzymes. Great stuff, and is great for joints and immune health. ;) I would definitely check it out for your guy.
As for his pedigree, the only ones that I see are on his dam's side. Mr.Prospector and Native Dancer. But in my opinion I dont really care about pedigree as along as your horse has heart, good confo, talent is bound to be in there. But even with confo I know a horse that seriously looks like he needs to be put down he has such had confo, but he has gone prelim with no problem and I have never heard of him being lame. Good luck with him!

Wee Dee Trrr
Dec. 4, 2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look into it.

I am also under the impression "that you can't ride bloodlines", but it's about all I have to work with at the moment... since riding is limited due to his weight and the weather here.

JER
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:02 PM
He's by Running Stag -- how fantastic!

Running Stag is a wonderful son of Cozzene who produces good sport horse types. Unfortunately, he was sent to Korea for stud duties.

HunterEventer
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:34 PM
not a big fan of Mr. P..lots of knee issues in the line but he's got enough "solid" blood in him and most Mr. P knee issues show up as babies. Good luck..Red Cell and an ulcer supplement are great for helping put a HEALTHY weight on him.

LAZ
Dec. 4, 2009, 10:05 PM
I think he's butt ugly and untalented. You can leave him with me. :D

(I talked her into him)

faluut42
Dec. 4, 2009, 10:40 PM
Where are the pictures!?!?! You cant post about your new horse without pictures!!!

Wee Dee Trrr
Dec. 5, 2009, 10:01 AM
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2177706&id=27307739

These are the only pictures I have so far. My mom took these the day I brought him home.

eventingismylife
Dec. 5, 2009, 04:32 PM
He is very cute, I love his mane and tail color!

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 5, 2009, 05:26 PM
I LOVE his name...makes me smile. Hope you are keeping it!

He looks very nice. Give him some time, he will put the weight on. I put my guy on Gastroguard for a month...expensive but it was worth it. Made a huge difference but he was more than just skinny.

Another product that I'm having some luck with is Ultimate Finish 40

http://www.buckeyenutrition.com/equine/documents/Ultimate_Finish_40.pdf

My guy wouldn't eat a lot of the other things (beat pulp and other fat supplements) and this one you feed less...so it has been easier to get it into him.

Have fun with him!

ETA: I don't think he is extremely skinny either....but know how we like to get them looking a bit fuller. I like his pedigree as well...Caro and Sir Gaylord are in a several good jumpers and movers that I know..so I always like to see that in a pedigree. I've know a two by Running Stag..and both were very nice.

FLeckenAwesome
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:41 PM
Congrats!!! He's cute!! And I Love his name too!!! HOW CUTE!!!

Have a blast with him :)

LAZ
Dec. 6, 2009, 08:47 AM
You'll have to bring him over one day & we'll get some pictures of him cleaned up & working.

He's a really pretty, well balanced mover.

Rescue_Rider9
Dec. 6, 2009, 11:00 AM
he so cute!!!

I fed a mare I had who was much skinner than him rice bran(Natural Glo) and oats. She gained weight quickly with just that.

LKF
Dec. 6, 2009, 02:53 PM
Excellent bloodline on both Sire and Dam. You've got one of our horses on the Dam's side. I can vouch for him. Best of luck and it will be quite satisfying watching your new horse develop into your new teammate.

Madeline
Dec. 6, 2009, 05:38 PM
Please don't obsess about his weight. He may be a 4 on the henneke scale now, but don't forget that 5 is ideal. Unless the pictures are not showing what he really looks like, just feed him normally and muscle him up. He's no way too thin to ride... too hairy, maybe, but not too thin. Good luck with him

Wee Dee Trrr
Dec. 6, 2009, 05:59 PM
I'll bring him over soon! The new trailer is good to go, but I need to set up the BF's truck... which may not happen til after the holidays.

Thanks everyone for all the good remarks on his bloodlines! I'm pretty excited about this horse. :yes:

CAN'T WAIT to take him schooling!

jen-s
Dec. 6, 2009, 10:57 PM
He's a cutie! And I bet he's going to be SUPER handsome soon. Congrats!!!