PDA

View Full Version : best bedding for run-in?

Diesel9902
Dec. 4, 2009, 06:32 PM
Hi, I am looking for suggestions on what type of bedding is best for run-ins.

I currently have shavings, but my horse doesnt ever soil them, so they never get taken out and break down really quickly making the stall rediculously dusty. lately i have been stripping it once and month and refilling it with fresh shavings... but that seems to be a waste of time + $$$.

normally I wouldnt fret about it, but i have to set up his heated water in it and it gets so nasty after a day because of the dust. +++ I would like a comfy place for him to lay down come winter (he likes his naps hahaha:D)

would straw last longer? or those wood pellets?... or am I better off just stripping it to the mats?

Carrera
Dec. 4, 2009, 07:26 PM
I would try straw. Its a great insulator and I find that it doesn't get dusty like shavings can

Claudius
Dec. 4, 2009, 08:57 PM
You can just over-bed through the winter and it will form a mat, through which any urine will drain, and then the straw holds heat, which will make the shed warmer for him to lie down in. As soon as the mud is over in the spring you can take it all out and start over. We do ours twice a year and it does not get dusty.

deltawave
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:01 PM
I really like bedding pellets (not soaked) in my shelter/horse porch. They mix nicely with the soil/sand/former pellet mix, and keep everything slightly on the "fluffy" side. I muck it out daily and chuck in a few bags every 5-6 weeks, enough to keep the balance of ingredients the way I like it.

If you don't have a dirt surface, maybe try mixing pellets and shavings?

amastrike
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:05 PM
Timely question! I was debating what to put in my guy's run in today. We had put a messed up roundbale (bull was throwing it around) in there and unrolled it, which worked at first.. but now it's all been eaten :rolleyes:. I think I'll do straw now.. seems like it'll be the best for keeping the horse warm and dry.

Zu Zu
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:35 PM
I am going to try wood pellets in my run-ins this winter ~ I pick the
sheds daily ~ so hope this will give the ponies some additional comfort.