PDA

View Full Version : Winter Riding Breeches or Pants

pwrpfflynn
Dec. 4, 2009, 03:05 PM
This is my first winter to do jumping so I am trying to figure out if I should get Breeches or Pants for winter riding. If I get pants do you wear half chaps over them? I don't have tall boots yet. Are the Pants more bulky than the breeches?

BAC
Dec. 4, 2009, 03:47 PM
I find nothing is warmer than fleece breeches. I wear the cheap ones but I have heard the Beval ones are exceptionally nice, and more flattering than some others. I have no problem wearing them with my half chaps but I don't think they would fit under my tall boots.

Pony Soprano
Dec. 4, 2009, 03:59 PM
I have the Beval's breeches and luffffff them. They do look very nice and keep me warm. They fit fine under my half chaps and tall boots, both of which are pretty tight.

I have a strong feeling that they are the same breeches that Smartpak says are made by Custom Riding Apparel. They look exactly the same, and until recently, both only came in blue.

paintmare
Dec. 4, 2009, 04:18 PM
I got a pair of Kerrits winter sport breeches off ebay, they're fleece lined. They're extremely comfortable and so warm. They fit really well too.

BAC
Dec. 4, 2009, 04:45 PM
I have the Beval's breeches and luffffff them. They do look very nice and keep me warm. They fit fine under my half chaps and tall boots, both of which are pretty tight.

I have a strong feeling that they are the same breeches that Smartpak says are made by Custom Riding Apparel. They look exactly the same, and until recently, both only came in blue.

But the Smartpak ones are exceptionally short, according to a friend who has them. I believe she told me they end just barely below her knee, and she is not tall. The Beval ones are longer.

SarahandSam
Dec. 4, 2009, 07:45 PM
I love my Kerrits fleece breeches. I also have the TuffRider ones, which aren't as nice--they pill a lot and get stained easily--but they are warm.

Lucassb
Dec. 4, 2009, 08:11 PM
Unfortunately, the Beval fleece lined breech - which does, IMO, fit better than the Smartpak offering by Custom Riding Apparel (ie, long enough to cover more than 3" past your knees....) is only available any more by special order. *sigh*

eventingismylife
Dec. 4, 2009, 08:32 PM
I love my Irideon Powerstretch Breeches: http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,2179.html. I live in MT and is gets ubber cold here. These are love. I put a pair of Smart Wool tights under them when it is REALLY cold and I am good to go.

Pony Soprano
Dec. 4, 2009, 08:34 PM
Last fall Bevals carried them in the New Canaan store. I am not sure if that was typical, but they had quite a few in stock.

It is interesting that people don't like the custom riding apparel breeches. I have a pair of their show breeches that fit beautifully and I am closer to wearing a long breech than a short.

horsepoor
Dec. 4, 2009, 11:34 PM
I ordered both from Beval (a couple years ago) and Smartpak and both pairs I have are identical. Same maker, same fit, same everything. I have found that the Custom Riding Apparel fit pretty much the same as my TS breeches. I'm a regular length person and don't find them short at all. The only thing that I don't like about the lined breeches is the velcro down at the bottom of the leg is kind of bulky -- I really notice it makes a lump under my boots/chaps. I'm thinking I will be doing a little modification to that as I don't need that much velcro to hold my pants down.

Pony Soprano
Dec. 5, 2009, 02:15 AM
I agree with horsepoor, haa in more ways than one!, that I think that they are the same breech. Maybe some got a poor prototype (sp?) :no:.

Skip's Rider
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:56 AM
I have the Irideon fleece tights and really like them. They're not too bulky, and I can wear them with my half chaps. They are plenty long enough. Granted, I am not tall (just under 5'2"), but they come down to my ankle. They are warm enough for most winter days (indoor riding). On really cold days, I wear sweat pants over the top and take them off just before I go to the ring to ride.

I also have the Tuff Rider fleece breeches. They are bulkier and not quite as long as the Irideons. They're definitely warmer, but let's say that they don't have much to offer in the fashion department (ie. they're ugly). They also have a zip pocket on the front.

jn4jenny
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:02 AM
I stepped up from the Irideon Powerstretch to the Irideon Wind Pro breech three years ago, and I LOVE it. I've ridden 3 Michigan winters, and am fixing to ride an Ohio winter, in them. I am comfortable in them down to about 20 degrees, at which point I add a layer of microfiber long underwear (Cuddl' Duds) under them.

IMO the wind-resistant properties of the Wind Pro breech make a huge difference to your warmth. I was so impressed with my breeches that I soon after purchased a Mountain Hardwear fitted fleece jacket in Wind Pro fleece.

Don't forget your FEET. I couldn't keep riding in the winter without my Mountain Horse Thinsulate-lined paddock boots and Smartwool socks.

Skip's Rider
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks jn4jenny! I've always wondered if the Wind Pro breeches were warmer than the regular ones. I wasn't sure it would make a difference for me because I ride indoors during the winter.

cnvh
Dec. 5, 2009, 10:40 PM
Love my Irideon fleece-lined britches... I wouldn't be caught dead in the barn without them in the winter. TOTD ran a sale on them a couple months ago and I bought two pair. :)

pippa553
Dec. 6, 2009, 03:13 PM
I love my Kerrits fleece breeches.

Ditto for me! I think the one's I bought are the windpro's? I've never had winter breeches before and I am loving them, sometimes I even leave then on when I get home.
It makes it so much better having the right equipment. :yes:

Elementgrl2
Dec. 6, 2009, 03:46 PM
I have the pikeur ciara winter breeches, they're super warm

Blupaint05
Dec. 7, 2009, 03:15 PM
I also use the Kerrit Winter breeches w/ the fleece lining. They are very warm and comfortable. Highly recommend them!

BAC
Dec. 7, 2009, 03:24 PM
Unfortunately, the Beval fleece lined breech - which does, IMO, fit better than the Smartpak offering by Custom Riding Apparel (ie, long enough to cover more than 3" past your knees....) is only available any more by special order. *sigh*

Are you sure its only by special order? I noticed that the navy breech must be a special order but they now have it in tan too, and it appears you can order that color directly from Beval's website. I know in previous years I think they only sold them in navy? Is the tan new this year?

LAMS21075
Dec. 8, 2009, 11:03 AM
I purchased a pair from Dover last year that I think were called Tuff Rider power fleece. Not sure exactly about that though. They have fleece on the inside. Very warm.

But, I just got a pair called Tropical Riders Toasties and am totally in love. I was lucky enough to get a pair on sale from SmartPak but the next day, they were completely gone. They also have fleece on the inside.

horsepoor
Dec. 8, 2009, 12:16 PM
Are you sure its only by special order? I noticed that the navy breech must be a special order but they now have it in tan too, and it appears you can order that color directly from Beval's website. I know in previous years I think they only sold them in navy? Is the tan new this year?

It used to be that Beval had the navy in stock, but when they started offering the tan (in the last year, I think), looks like they switched to stocking only the tan and having to special order the blue. I ordered mine back when navy was all there was.

shoponee70
Dec. 8, 2009, 03:43 PM
i have a few pairs of the kerrits winter breeches. and LOVE them. idc how cold it is or blustery, the wind can not get through those things. i use half chaps or boots w/ them and they are great.

I was a little worried that the fleece on the inside would cause the breech to move around while riding.. but not so... now i have 3 pairs, and dont know how i got through the winters w/o them!!

I got my from farm house.. =) love the xl knee patches on them too =)
864-457-3557

pwrpfflynn
Jan. 11, 2010, 03:24 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know I ended up getting the Kerrits Sit Tight breeches and LOVE them. Thanks guys

mojo7777
Jan. 11, 2010, 09:55 PM
I have the Tuff Rider Unifleece ones, and I like the warmth, and the price, but they are too unbending in the knee. They fit fine everywhere else, but are a little constricting in the saddle. I was wondering if I'm the only one they fit like that:confused:

Simbalism
Jan. 12, 2010, 12:14 AM
I just got two pair of the Tropical Rider Toasties full seat with Christmas money. I already had a pair of knee patch style which I use for trail riding. I wanted the full seats to give me a little more stick when riding in my jumping saddle on those cold blustery days. They are so warm, love them.

RolyPolyPony
Jan. 12, 2010, 12:17 PM
I have the Tuff Rider Unifleece ones, and I like the warmth, and the price, but they are too unbending in the knee. They fit fine everywhere else, but are a little constricting in the saddle. I was wondering if I'm the only one they fit like that:confused:

I got a pair for Christmas, and while I don't have your problem, I have the problem that they don't stay up while riding, so if I do half seat near the end of my lesson, I've got plumber's crack!! I've learned to make sure to wear a looooong tee shirt as a base layer to ensure it stays tucked in!

Other than that, I love them - they're quite toasty!