PDA

View Full Version : Walk me through leasing... please!

Across Sicily
Dec. 4, 2009, 03:34 PM
I am considering leasing/part boarding a horse (I have no idea *which* horse, but I don't want to buy right now) but have never done so. I literally know nothing about leasing or part boarding, having always owned.

Outside of the general stuff, I have a few specific questions...

1) Do you try out a lease horse as you would a horse for sale?
2) Who generally takes care of vet/farrier/etc bills on a part boarded horse? Feasibly speaking, the part boarding (or half lease or whatever you want to call it) is the most likely scenario for me right now, vs a full lease.
3) Who generally provides tack and other equipment for the horse? (brushes, boots, blanketing...)
4) What kind of contract am I looking at? Should I have a lawyer on hand for this?
5) What if something happens where the barn doesn't end up working out or the trainer is loco or can't teach his/her way out of a paper bag? Unfortunately I am doing this in a new city and country, so I don't have the obvious benefit of having my long-time trainer suss out horses for me. I am pretty much looking at "on farm" leases from barns that have lease/part board horses available. There's only so much you can really glean from a farm tour or watching a couple of lessons.
6) About how much should I expect to be paying for a horse that basically fits these standards: jumps up to 3' (maybe prettily, maybe not, I don't really care right now), is a sane ride, maybe has some issues but nothing too crazy, and doesn't pull any dirty moves?

Thanks! :winkgrin:

sansibar
Dec. 4, 2009, 03:58 PM
I am considering leasing/part boarding a horse (I have no idea *which* horse, but I don't want to buy right now) but have never done so. I literally know nothing about leasing or part boarding, having always owned.

Outside of the general stuff, I have a few specific questions...

1) Do you try out a lease horse as you would a horse for sale?
2) Who generally takes care of vet/farrier/etc bills on a part boarded horse? Feasibly speaking, the part boarding (or half lease or whatever you want to call it) is the most likely scenario for me right now, vs a full lease.
3) Who generally provides tack and other equipment for the horse? (brushes, boots, blanketing...)
4) What kind of contract am I looking at? Should I have a lawyer on hand for this?
5) What if something happens where the barn doesn't end up working out or the trainer is loco or can't teach his/her way out of a paper bag? Unfortunately I am doing this in a new city and country, so I don't have the obvious benefit of having my long-time trainer suss out horses for me. I am pretty much looking at "on farm" leases from barns that have lease/part board horses available. There's only so much you can really glean from a farm tour or watching a couple of lessons.
6) About how much should I expect to be paying for a horse that basically fits these standards: jumps up to 3' (maybe prettily, maybe not, I don't really care right now), is a sane ride, maybe has some issues but nothing too crazy, and doesn't pull any dirty moves?

Thanks! :winkgrin:

1) Yes, you try them out as if you are going to buy them
2) The owner should take care of all bills in some occasions you are asked for half the farrier but ussually the owner is responsible for everything
3) Part boarding: the owner would Leasing: If it is in the agreement then the owner would if not you would
4) Part board contracts are pretty basic some don't even make you sign a contract, leasing contracts are a bit more complicated, it couldn't hurt to have some one in the legal world clarify it for you
5) You would have to have something in the contract about terminating the lease for "X" reasons
6) I think you were coming to Ontario if I remember correct? Well a good number of horses are available for free lease, especially if you are looking for on farm leases. www.equiman.com/forums , is a great place to look for leases. Prices are from free and up, a horse winning on the A circuit can be around $10000 and up, the lease fees are surprisingly cheap here and they do not tend follow the 1/3 rule of the value.

good luck!

advantagepa
Dec. 4, 2009, 04:17 PM
When doing a half lease all bills should be equaly split between the two parties. When doing a full lease, the leasing party is responsible for any and all bills associated with the horse.

A Lease is a legally binding agreement, so you should always have a lawyer check it out to protect yourself.

Spud&Saf
Dec. 4, 2009, 05:27 PM
Across Sicily....if you are coming to Ontario and you are going to be in the Greater Toronto Area, PM me, I know of a horse that is EXACTLY what you are looking for and he is with a fantastic not loco trainer!

Across Sicily
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:34 PM
It is Ontario in the GTA... Spud I'll send you a PM!

Thanks for your replies!