PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Help (Jaguar or Pessoa?)

caryledee
Dec. 4, 2009, 07:42 AM
I really need a new saddle; I have an extremely long femur so it is hard to find one. I don't have a lot of money to spend. I have been looking on ebay and found a Jaguar XJS and a couple of Pessoas; would these accomodate a long thigh? Also, does anyone know how wide a "wide" tree is on these saddles?

Thanks!

hollyhorse2000
Dec. 4, 2009, 01:09 PM
Which one fits your horse?

sansibar
Dec. 4, 2009, 01:17 PM
I had a pessoa it was good but not great, and the leather quality is not there. I rode in my friends jaguar and it is sooooo comfy! not the greatest looking compared to butets or tad coffins but it is definitely a well made and a comfy saddle.

My friend is about 5'10 and the saddle fits her really well. And I believe the tree is adjustable on the one she has.

caryledee
Dec. 4, 2009, 01:26 PM
Which one fits your horse?

I get them off the track and resell them, so I need a saddle that fits a variety of horses.

caryledee
Dec. 4, 2009, 01:28 PM
I had a pessoa it was good but not great, and the leather quality is not there. I rode in my friends jaguar and it is sooooo comfy! not the greatest looking compared to butets or tad coffins but it is definitely a well made and a comfy saddle.

My friend is about 5'10 and the saddle fits her really well. And I believe the tree is adjustable on the one she has.

Thanks! I am at the point in my life where comfort is a high priority so this may be a good choice for me. Everyone seems to agree they are comfy! :)

alteringwego
Dec. 4, 2009, 01:35 PM
Have a friend with the Jaguar and it is a really nice saddle. Good quality leather and very comfortable.

vxf111
Dec. 4, 2009, 01:42 PM
I have a Jaguar XJS for each of my horses. You would have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands to take them from me! I love those saddles and with minor adjustments/tree flocking they have worked for many different horses of varying size/shape. I believe that the "medium" tree is a bit on the larger-than normal size. Slightly over 5 inches from nailhead to nailhead, and the "medium-wide" was an 1/2 inch larger than that. It's been a long time since I measured, so don't take that as gospel. But they do run wide compared to some other brands.

Equus_girl
Dec. 4, 2009, 01:43 PM
I think it depends on whether are a more narrow twist or wide twist saddle person. Most Pessoas have wide twist, which is a horrible fit for me. Some people find them very comfortable, so its a personal thing. You have to try to figure it out. Also, I am pretty tall and Pessoa's flap was too short for me, not sure if they have different flap sizes.
Jaguars have a more narrow twist and more close contact.

LWit317
Dec. 4, 2009, 02:32 PM
one reason why I origionally bought my pessoa was so that I could put it on a wide variety of different horses, some of which were a handful of off the track tb’s that we had, I liked it because I felt that it fit a lot of different horses. I have heard that some of the newer pessoa’s leather is not as nice as the older ones.
I have had the one that I have now for a little over 5 years and in my opinion the leather/saddle is in excellent condition and its been on tons of different horses!
However I have never ridden in a Jag so I can only give you a one sided opinion!

lostinAusten
Dec. 4, 2009, 06:13 PM
After changing saddles every few years or with each new horse :confused: I finally was introduced to Jaguar. I loooove my saddle. My daughter rides in one also and takes it back and forth to school rather than ride in her backup saddle. It even fits under the seat on airplanes:). Most comfortable saddle I've ever sat in. Plus, it just seems to have a "sweet spot" that I return to after every fence so I feel really secure also. We have no problems switching from her narrower jumper to our rounder warmblood - no padding adjustments. Love it! Love it! Love it!

appdream
Dec. 4, 2009, 07:00 PM
I love my Jaguar!!!

It is the only saddle I have ever put on my mare that has not ended up under her belly when mounting. She is a wide backed mare with almost no withers and it fits her like it was custom made for her. I can switch it to another mare, not as wide and has good withers, and it fits her great, too.

I have a longer thigh and it fits me, too. The first time I rode in mine I decided I never needed another saddle. This saddle I will have forever.

two sticks
Dec. 5, 2009, 01:45 PM
I ended up buying a used jaguars xjs when I was looking for a saddle replacement. It was comfy and the leather was good quality, but i felt like it tipped my pelvis too far forward. I already have problems keeping my upper body back and I felt like the saddle really exaggerated the problem for me. Also, right after I bought it I sold the horse it fit, and got two new horses, and it didn't fit either. It was supposed to be a reg. tree but fit very narrow and didn't really fit any of the horses I rode except the very narrow tbs. I ended up selling it less than a year after I bought it and going back to my old saddle. I wouldn't buy another one.

shawneeAcres
Dec. 5, 2009, 01:58 PM
I love my Pessoa, I too have a VERY long femur and have the long flap model of the Pessoa and it fits wonderfully. I have the medium tree and it fits a WIDE variety of horses. Love this saddle!