PDA

View Full Version : Canada- Turn up the heat!

LostFarmer
Dec. 4, 2009, 12:27 AM
This morning we awoke to another -20 degree sunrise. I know it is not that cold but it kind of caught us by surprise. I had, being the tight wad that I am, avoided putting the heaters in the stock tanks. Managed to freeze one of the waterers and had to tear it apart and thaw it out. So instead of spending more on power I got to spend quality time with the ice pick and the hot water bucket. I managed to get the valve working and the water flowing but then could not get it turned off. Here I am with water spraying all over me, trying to stop the flows while I fix the valve. By the time I made it to the house I felt like one of King Arther's nights of the round table sporting a full body armor. It least I was only a hundred yards to the house instead of a few miles. I sat in front of the wood stove decided that it was better to turn on the heaters than treat frost bite, hypothermia and impotency from freezing my personals off.

tuppysmom
Dec. 4, 2009, 12:46 AM
Yup, this morning was a surprise! It is not nearly as cold here at our place as it is at yours. We had a low of 18. This afternoon was so nice. The sun was shining brightly, there was no wind, the horses are all well.

The only hitch in the entire day was that our well pump decided to short itself. We had already filled the heated buckets in the turn outs, but the auto waters in the pastures went dry.

We hauled water from the neighbor until the pump guy showed up, pulled the pump, ran new wire and got us going again.

I didn't get many of my planned projects done today, but it did give me a chance to clean all the auto waters without getting all wet! LOL

Here's to a warmer day tomorrow.

dmalbone
Dec. 4, 2009, 12:47 AM
Ugh yeah... ya think!?!?! :p No way on earth would I live somewhere where -20 is a "maybe turn on the heaters" kind of day!! It's in the 30's here now and I've decided I hate indiana again for the next 3 or 4 months. I really don't think I could have horses if I were somewhere that I had to deal with weather that cold and water/buckets/etc.

tuppysmom
Dec. 4, 2009, 01:01 AM
Our normal low this time of year is 35. The high should be about 48.

Calvincrowe
Dec. 4, 2009, 01:05 AM
Yeah, Idaho Folks--and it's headed our way, courtesy of a stiff 40mph wind! I'm headed out to take the house off the frost free in the barn. Break out the insulated boots and hats with ears.:)

Funnily, my SO is heading for Juneau tomorrow, where the low will be 25, highs in the 30's--we'll be just as cold at home! They'll be clear and sunny, we are expecting flurries.

FalseImpression
Dec. 4, 2009, 02:11 AM
Can't blame us! Although I am in the East and not directly North of you, we sure have had a mild Fall and no snow in November... unheard of for 60+ years!!

Anyway, I hope you have thawed out and have regained the use of all your parts! mechanical and otherwise!

LostFarmer
Dec. 4, 2009, 02:24 AM
I came in tonight with icicles hanging off my eyebrows. The ponies had to pull the hay out to the cows and had ice in the whiskers. Bring in another log honey it is going to get chilly!

starkissed
Dec. 4, 2009, 08:40 AM
holy cow, I seriously applaud everyone up there! It's just started to get a wee chilly- like barely a frost in the morning.

I really don't know how you all deal with water. We don't have heated waters, automatic, but they freeze up when it goes to PLUS (+) 20 degrees!

Bluey
Dec. 4, 2009, 08:47 AM
Well, someone forgot to close the gate and this morning we are 13F, what a surprise.:eek:

Guess we will be breaking ice also, we don't have heaters, because we don't get quite that cold too often.

It looks like it may be kind of a cold winter...

I am putting my shoulder surgery off until spring, so as not to be caught short handed this winter, pun intended, if it really is a bad one.

Advice on working in tanks you have to cut a hole in the ice to reach the float valve:

Warm the pickup cab as hot as you can.
Put insulated gloves, diswahing rubber gloves and duct tape them on, then add obstetric gloves, those over the shoulder, to pull calves and tape them too.

You can stick your hands in there and feel the valve and wrenches for a little bit, maybe long enough to fix them, before your hand loses all feeling.
When they do, run in the pickup to warm up, before trying again.

Then, at -20, I would not know, the coldest we have been here was -10, I think.

crackerjack
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:00 AM
Nope not Canada's fault.... for the past couple of days it's been in the high 40's, no snow, and we are still riding outside which is very unusual for us in Dec. It's supposed to be about freezing for the next few days and still no snow!:D

Bravestrom
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:18 AM
actually I think you have yourselves to blame - that's what you get for buying Alaska.

-1 celsius today - that would be about 33 F - I haven't even plugged in the heaters yet - which is a good thing because one horse keeps going into the tubs and breaking them.

mht
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:21 AM
I concur! It's not our fault. We have had above average temps, and still no snow! I have heard that it will be -7 tonight (20F), so I'll need to blow out my water line tonight after I fill the outdoor trough.

I've still got pasture-the horses really don't spend a whole lot of time at the hay feeders.

Carrera
Dec. 4, 2009, 10:07 AM
actually I think you have yourselves to blame - that's what you get for buying Alaska.

-1 celsius today - that would be about 33 F - I haven't even plugged in the heaters yet - which is a good thing because one horse keeps going into the tubs and breaking them.

I'm loving not having to haul hoses into the house so they don't freeze! This weekend last year we had 3 feet for snow!

The one downside to this is all the mud I now have on the property. I am *almost* asking for snow (just a few inches) to cover up the icky mud...

Calvincrowe
Dec. 4, 2009, 11:25 AM
Well, 24 degrees this morning because the wind died down out of Eastern WA. Balmy! Of course, now it is expected to get really windy again. And some snow should fall. Hopefully, we won't have a repeat of last year's blizzard conditions right at Christmas--white Christmas is now a dirty word in our household! 8 foot high drifts blocking our entire 1000 foot long driveway and no water is not what I call festive!

Horses have their big blankies on, chickens have extra bedding on the floor, dogs are tucked inside and I have the heated water buckets on standby.

sk_pacer
Dec. 4, 2009, 11:25 AM
It's Alaska's fault!!! The jet stream takes an abrupt zorch south from mid Alaska and goes straight south down the continental divide. I am suffering with cold, white crap and nasty winds. it's -23°C (close to -10°F) but no wind for a change.

Bravestrom
Dec. 4, 2009, 12:11 PM
I'm loving not having to haul hoses into the house so they don't freeze! This weekend last year we had 3 feet for snow!

The one downside to this is all the mud I now have on the property. I am *almost* asking for snow (just a few inches) to cover up the icky mud...

Off topic - how is your new horse doing?

Mozart
Dec. 4, 2009, 12:41 PM
It's Alaska's fault!!! The jet stream takes an abrupt zorch south from mid Alaska and goes straight south down the continental divide. I am suffering with cold, white crap and nasty winds. it's -23°C (close to -10°F) but no wind for a change.

Wh-a-a-t??? Say it ain't so, we almost always get what you get. We have minimal white crap and it is a mere -10 celsius. I actually saw someone wearing shorts yesterday (that is a bit much, even for me, the Ice Queen).

Tell ya what sk_pacer, I'll make you deal. You keep your cold weather and I will spare you the COUNTING jokes! :D

KitKat987
Dec. 4, 2009, 12:48 PM
Tell ya what sk_pacer, I'll make you deal. You keep your cold weather and I will spare you the COUNTING jokes! :D

Ouch! Low blow :lol:

Major winter storm in AB right now, not that cold yet, but supposed to drop steadily and then stay very very cold.

Calvincrowe
Dec. 4, 2009, 12:50 PM
Not sure where it's coming from then--Alaska is warmer than Montana/Idaho/EOregon/EWashington today. My guess is this is a cold high pressure system from interior AK and Yukon areas sliding down along the Rockies and funneling into W.WA and OR through the Columbia Gorge.

All I know is: it is December, and it is getting cold! Not unusual in the least, just a cause to bundle up and beyotch about it.:lol:

sk_pacer
Dec. 4, 2009, 12:54 PM
Mozart - It's coming your way!!! Problem with where I live is the cold funnels down the Moose Jaw River (it ain't really a river here but they say it is) amd I live close enough to it to get the much colder air than stations other than Moose Jaw report.

KitKat987 - and I am hoping that storm stays north, I got enough white crap already and no way of removing it. I just KNEW when the dealership picked up the tractor for Greenlight Inspection, it would get nasty.

Bluey
Dec. 4, 2009, 01:24 PM
I know it is those canadians.
All know they live in igloos and run around in moose drawn sleds and they just don't care if it is cold.
All that global warming talk was just to distract us until winter came and they could blow their cold down our necks and laugh at us.:winkgrin:

Brrr.:(

Our horses don't even notice it is cold, they are taking their naps in the sun.:p

lalahartma1
Dec. 4, 2009, 01:36 PM
Blame Canada! :) -10.5F at the barn this morning in Larkspur, CO!
But I'm the moving the horses to NM next week. Yay!

atr
Dec. 4, 2009, 06:09 PM
A joyous big fat zero degrees at feeding time in the mountains of Utah this morning. My drop-in heater is chugging away keeping the big trough thawed out, but the pony's trough is a solid chunk of ice. I have to tackle that this weekend, so I know what you mean, LF.

However, the coldest part of my day was measuring an unheated, half finished house up in the Cache Valley this morning. I sometimes feel the need for a pair of dress Carhartts...

LostFarmer
Dec. 4, 2009, 10:24 PM
Where in Cache Valley. We lived there 10 years and still have a house in Logan. They can get inverted and stay cold for months. Grandpa was born in Paradise. We lived in Logan and Providence. I milked cows at a dairy in Smithfield while in school.

Calvincrowe
Dec. 5, 2009, 11:14 AM
Ugh. 24 again this AM--and since it was below freezing from about 5pm on, the water buckets in the barn and chicken coop were iced over this morning. Snow showers later on tonight and again this week. I live at the western end of the Columbia River Gorge, so gale force winds expected to arrive with any moisture from the Pacific, too. 24 and a 40mph wind!! Yippee!

Granted, it is gorgeous out! Hard frost, everything is white and crisp (including my fingers, I swear:)), sun just peaking over Mt. Hood in the distance, the last of the stars being washed out by its light. Sigh. I do love winter, for its harsh beauty. I also love my heated buckets and Rambo blankets:lol:

CatOnLap
Dec. 5, 2009, 11:58 AM
sunny and not even frosty here in canada this morning. I put the tire chains on the tractor for nothing?

Calvincrowe
Dec. 5, 2009, 12:41 PM
Eh..stick your tire chains in 'yer...just kidding! It is freezing here--literally!! My poor chickens are fluffed up to double their normal size! Honestly, this cold really did come from Canada--just the not real popular part, you know Yukon and Saskatchewan, then it just leaked down through Idaho and Montana and poured on into WA and OR.

I assume you're up in BC?? Just you wait, missy! I'm sure you'll get a blast of cold and snow a bit later on:)

sk_pacer
Dec. 5, 2009, 12:54 PM
It's damned cold in this part of Canada, but I believe that blizzard in Alberta headed straight south, following the jet stream. Also glad there is no wind or it would make it feel like 30 below instead of the 10 below it is.

CalvinCrowe - blame Alberta and Alaska (and that is yours) for this mess. Alaska took it from Siberia and funneled it southward!!!LOL Saskatchewan doesn't even enter into the equation except for the fact we are suffering from cold here

Polydor
Dec. 5, 2009, 01:17 PM
Sorry I'm blaming it on Alaska/Yukon! It covered all of alberta before getting worst in Southern alberta and moving east through sask. !

I should know since i picked yesterday to drive to Calgary. Half way there i should have turned around since i couldn't see past the end of my car's hood, snow flying horizontal, black ice... etc

Noooot pretty. almost ended in ditch twice but made it to calgary. Left car at subway station instead of attempting the hills in Calgary.

Now to go retrieve car .... roads are still listed as poor- terrible.

P.

sk_pacer
Dec. 5, 2009, 02:34 PM
Polydor - it is nice and clear here in the SE corner of SK. Not even a breeze, and while cold, it isnt too horrible. The whitecrap never came farther much farther east than Swift Current, then slanted somewhat eastward to Val Marie. They got it good there. I was surprised they raced in Edmonton last night; races were slow but they did the whole card.

Glad you made the trip without incident.......they used to close that highway if a dog peed on it in winter :)

Polydor
Dec. 5, 2009, 11:20 PM
sk_pacer: ah good to hear that. The way CBC was going on it sounded like SE of alberta was going to get a massive dump and then continue on to south Sask. I'm not sure why i kept listening to the radio while driving through that storm since it wasn't reassuring at all! With this highway closed and that highway closed :eek::(

I'm thinking you must be somewhere close to me... being east of dog river and all :winkgrin: such a classic show that was.

Hope everyone is tucked inside all nice and toasty!

P.

sk_pacer
Dec. 6, 2009, 12:13 AM
Polydor - yep, it was a good show....and my hometown was second choice!!! I missed a movie tonight with Lorne Cardinal in it (Rust, a Corbin Bernson production, filmed entirely in Kipling Sk) and Cardinal played a small town cop....talk about type cast

Back to the weather......gads, it is brutally cold here, and I fear another winter like last winter - subnormal temps, no chinooks, and lots of white crap.

Polydor
Dec. 6, 2009, 12:39 AM
hehe Corner Gas is even shown in Australia ! :D Which movie is he in?

I didn't think the chinnoks reached that far. Loove living where i do with all of the chinnocks we get. Also liking the fact that i get to return to Oz on christmas day to escape this winter stuff ... lol

off to the land of +48C ! woot! :eek:

P.

sk_pacer
Dec. 6, 2009, 01:33 PM
hehe Corner Gas is even shown in Australia ! :D Which movie is he in?

I didn't think the chinnoks reached that far. Loove living where i do with all of the chinnocks we get. Also liking the fact that i get to return to Oz on christmas day to escape this winter stuff ... lol

off to the land of +48C ! woot! :eek:

P.

The movie is Rust. It's likely going to DVD, since the premiere showing was in Kipling, Sk, population of around 1,000.

Yeah we get weak chinooks, sometimes not so weak ones, and I live from chinook to chinook, cussing the cold and snow.

I coulndt stand +48°C, i would die in that heat!!!LOL I also don't do beaches, or water so wouldnt be much fun for me :)

CatOnLap
Dec. 6, 2009, 01:42 PM
Hey SK- I grew up in Winterpeg and on odd occasion, a chinook even reached that far east. I recall being about 11 or 12 and actually suntanning in my back yard, surrounded by 4 foot high snowdrifts, in my bathing suit IN FEBRUARY. Everyone was out clearing drains of melting ice in their rubber boots and shorts and t-shirts. For a whole day it was up around 75 deg F and then back to the usual deepfreeze a couple of days later. Amazing. Played havoc with the city's underground pipes and plumbing.

Plumcreek
Dec. 6, 2009, 02:50 PM
My turn. I wouldn't complain so much if this hadn't been an El Nino year in Colorado. Spring rain ended mid-July. My arena had algae, and I harrowed it a total of once this summer when it dried out enough. Then winter started Oct 1 with 2 feet of snow that turned to deep mud in my runs. Not warm enough to dry out, and no frozen base like there would be with deep early spring shows. High of 17 F today. I just want to survive this winter.

sk_pacer
Dec. 6, 2009, 04:15 PM
CatOnLap - I raced in Winterpeg a few falls and damned near froze to death, Assiniboia Downs has to be colder than Portage and Main!!!! There were no chinooks when I was there, but I certainly do love them, even if they are weak and only warm up the air to close to the freezing mark. Saving grace right now is there hasnt been a lot of wind, so the beasts can go outside and eat rather than eating inside all day and shitting all over the place.

Plumcreek - I think El Nino ran away and is in hiding........way too cold!! we are 20ish degrees fahrenhiet below normal for this time of year....farenheit?? feren, whatever!!!LOL

Huntertwo
Dec. 6, 2009, 05:36 PM
A few days ago it was soooo warm here I wore a T-shirt and shorts to the barn! :)

Last night we had snow! :no:

Go figure...

Plumcreek
Dec. 6, 2009, 06:53 PM
Plumcreek - I think El Nino ran away and is in hiding........way too cold!! we are 20ish degrees fahrenhiet below normal for this time of year....farenheit?? feren, whatever!!!LOL

The only good thing I heard about El Nino was that it was *supposed* to mean a wet fall and wet spring, but lower moisture over the winter for here. Colorado front range is a weird place weather-wise. Last year mid December we had 15 below zero, then a relatively warmer winter. I am just hearing on the TV that we will have sub zero temps tonight. I love my heater that keeps the barn above freezing, but barely, as I am afraid to run it overnight. I also love the fact that I gave up the foolishness of showing horses at the January Denver Stock Show. I will go and watch my friends who can have full trainer care and do not have to be there at 5 am or haul horses on ice covered roads.

horseowner40
Dec. 6, 2009, 07:14 PM
Cold here in South Dakota, which has brought me new problems, this jumping filly would not go into her 3 sided stall last year during bad weather, she loves cold weather, but I guess I don't have to worry about that right now, because she is locked up in a stall.:eek:

sk_pacer
Dec. 6, 2009, 09:31 PM
This is getting tedious - current temp here is -9°F, high tomorrow is a whopping -2°F and the 'warm' day is Thursday with a projected high of 3°F. And the weather liar said it is whitecrapping just north of here - again so will be whitecrapping when I go out in an hour or so with beet pulp. It's so damned cold that they can't eat the stuff before it freezes

Plumcreek
Dec. 6, 2009, 11:58 PM
when I go out in an hour or so with beet pulp. It's so damned cold that they can't eat the stuff before it freezes

I take my beet pulp in a big supplement bucket up to the house and add the hottest tap water, then cover it. Takes 2 hours and the BP is steaming warm when the horses eat it, which seems to be a big hit with them this time of year.

I do not know how you Canadians stand the winter.

KitKat987
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:30 AM
This is getting tedious - current temp here is -9°F, high tomorrow is a whopping -2°F and the 'warm' day is Thursday with a projected high of 3°F. And the weather liar said it is whitecrapping just north of here - again so will be whitecrapping when I go out in an hour or so with beet pulp. It's so damned cold that they can't eat the stuff before it freezes

I'd take those temps happily right now! Supposed to get down to -17F in Southern AB tomorrow night, without the wind. Yay! Right now it's -22F with the windchill. Been having a lovely winterstorm with insane winds and temps since Friday morning. I've had to clean the barn 3 times a day cause the little wusses so do NOT want to be outside at all despite big heavy blankies. Wimps :sigh:

f4leggin
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:34 AM
Ah Plumcreek - don't scare me like that - I'm just a bit east of you and in denial of this cold we are having. Maybe it will be like last year - very cold December and a mild winter. Have to admit though - today was a GREAT day for sledding - nice frozen ground with a little snow on top. And, because of all our rain this summer and this cold - I have a great big skating pond in my pasture this year. Time to buy ice skates! I'm sure it's frozen solid at this point.

Jill

Foxtrot's
Dec. 7, 2009, 02:33 AM
It is good news for us here in BC. My horses have been out on their pastures since it is frozen enough and they don't dig it up. There is lots for them to enjoy. I'm not complaining....... We are getting ready to host the world to the Winter Olympics in February and have record snows up there right now. Hope it bodes well for February. (I'll be inside watching lots of tv).

poltroon
Dec. 7, 2009, 02:46 AM
Forecast yesterday was low of 25 - cold but not extreme. Unfortunately the actual low was around 18 which is when we should take special measures to protect pipes and such. Ooops. So, I spent my morning out with a hairdryer.

Tomorrow, they're forecasting a high of 32 and precipitation. My daughter* will be thrilled if there's snow, but it means I'd better not let those pipes freeze solid again. They say low 20...but I'm thinking I'd better plan for 10.

*(I have to be careful not to say the "s-word" in front of her, because she gets bitterly disappointed if it doesn't actually snow, and it rarely does. Usually we get cold OR precipitation, not both.)

Bluey
Dec. 7, 2009, 08:26 AM
13F here this morning and just a dusting of snow for tomorrow, so we are still coasting.

Even if we are starting cold, that doesn't mean we may not yet have a mild winter.:)

Our horses don't seem to mind the cold, so all is well.:yes:

Bravestrom
Dec. 7, 2009, 09:25 AM
looks like you guys are giving it all to us - we have a colorado low and an alberta clipper convening on us on tue/wed.

Guess we have to get the snow plow ready.

Carrera
Dec. 7, 2009, 10:43 AM
Yep I put the snowblower on the tractor yesterday...

Mozart
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:44 PM
CatOnLap - I raced in Winterpeg a few falls and damned near froze to death, Assiniboia Downs has to be colder than Portage and Main!!!!

No more live harness racing at Assiniboia Downs in the winter...I was always absolutely gobsmacked to see what sort of weather those ponies raced in. Those standardbreds (and their drivers ;)) are TOUGH critters!!

My "to do someday" list includes finding a nice quiet retired standardbred so that I can learn to drive. I have winter sleigh ride fantasies.

sk_pacer
Dec. 7, 2009, 01:05 PM
No more live harness racing at Assiniboia Downs in the winter...I was always absolutely gobsmacked to see what sort of weather those ponies raced in. Those standardbreds (and their drivers ;)) are TOUGH critters!!

My "to do someday" list includes finding a nice quiet retired standardbred so that I can learn to drive. I have winter sleigh ride fantasies.

I think the last time they raced at ASSD was 1985. but I wasnt there, was racing in Alberta. There are guidelines for racing though - combined temp and windchill cannot be more than -25 unless they changed it again but that is pretty danged cold to be zipping along at 30mph. I don't know how tough I am...i am whimpering at the cold today!!!LOL

I am sure you can find lots of retired Standardbreds of assorted temperaments in Manitoba!! Lots there to pick from.

TrueColours
Dec. 7, 2009, 01:16 PM
God - kwitcherbitching guys ... :rolleyes: ...

My trainer in PA sent me SNOW pictures from yesterday. She is 8-9 hours SOUTH of us and guess what? *WE* dont have ANY snow at all! :no:

Spacely in CA said their temps are in the 40's during the day with cold sleety rain and down into the 20's and 30's at night. We have nice sunshine here and we barely have the hint of a frost at night ... :no:

I believe that Canada will become the "*NEW* Florida in a few years time as we bask in the balmy temps :D

I was debating cutting the grass yesterday as with all of the nice warm temps we have been having, its getting a wee bit long once again :winkgrin:

If anyone needs any toques or mittens south of the border, just let us Canucks know. Since we dont appear that we will be using them anytime soon, Im sure we can send a bunch down your way ... :yes:

looks like you guys are giving it all to us - we have a colorado low and an alberta clipper convening on us on tue/wed.

Yeah - but YOU live in the frigid north!!! On Wednesday, we are expecting a high of 8C which translates to 48F, so it will be T Shirt weather once again in this Banana Belt we call home here in beautiful downtown Wilsonville, Ontario ... ;)

Foxtrot's
Dec. 7, 2009, 03:28 PM
I was just having a wonderful time in Tucson Arizona and it was cold there too.
Needed extra sweaters. Cold blast from Canada was the blame (as usual ...sigh)

Bluey
Dec. 7, 2009, 03:58 PM
Well, our high so far today and it is already dropping again is 21F.
I sure wish the gate keepers in the North were a little bit more careful.;)

Polydor
Dec. 7, 2009, 05:51 PM
Yay made it home safe and sound.

But man that wind is cold! I think our high this week is something like -22 C :S

Took advantage of the snow and went sledding :D Which was fun.

Horses at Spruce Meadows didn't seem to be complaining they were still getting turned out and were having a grand old time playing in the snow.

P.

Cindy's Warmbloods
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:02 PM
I drove to town this morning and my truck said it was -34!!! It was cold, is all I know. However, I hate to complain as last winter we were many a day below -40!!!!! So heck, -30 is not so bad!
Horses seem to do fine. They all have their heads in a round bale chowing down and don't seem bothered by it in the least.

Calvincrowe
Dec. 7, 2009, 09:23 PM
Ugh...21F and falling with a stiff breeze out of the east. Expecting lows in the low teens tonight.

One horse won't drink out of his heated bucket (old idiot!), one won't let me close his damn top door. Horses! Not a lick of sense. Granted, they have on warm blankies and plenty of hay to munch...honestly, it is harder on me than them. It takes twice as long to do chores when it gets this cold, I swear.

Bravestrom
Dec. 7, 2009, 09:35 PM
I took my clipped horse on a hack today - he had a quarter sheet on the front, a quarter sheet on the back, I had a fluffy helmet cover, winter gloves, fleece insulated coat over my vest and winter riding pants.

It snowed on us and I bet that is the last hack for a while. Didn't run into the llama thank goodness.

Sillymoose
Dec. 7, 2009, 09:58 PM
So glad to be back in GA for xmas break. I do not miss that Idaho weather. Thank goodness for 60's.