PDA

View Full Version : How to get cat pee out of a CO XCountry vest??

Meredith Clark
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:11 PM
yes... ew! I was dumb enough to leave my vest in the isle at my friend's barn. She has about 20 barn cats so I can't pin the blame (although I have my suspicions.. :lol: )

Is there any way to salvage it? It's a custom vest in my colors and awkward size

LittleblackMorgan
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:16 PM
Douse rubbing alcohol on it. Or try Natures Miracle for cats, they have a super duty spray. But I would SOAK it in alcohol. Same main ingrediant.

Meredith Clark
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:17 PM
Douse rubbing alcohol on it. Or try Natures Miracle for cats, they have a super duty spray. But I would SOAK it in alcohol. Same main ingrediant.

that won't hurt the foam?

tuppysmom
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:18 PM
The foam should be a "closed cell" foam and as such should not soak up any of the pee. The cover is all you need to worry about. Scrub/wash with a good soap/detergent mabe add some pet pee smell killer.

JER
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:21 PM
Enzyme cleaner, like Nature's Miracle. There are enzyme cleaners specially formulated for cat urine.

Shortstroke
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:08 PM
Did you know that the cover comes off and you can wash it in the washing machine and put it in the dryer as well? I've done it many times and it comes out looking like new.

Meredith Clark
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:20 PM
Did you know that the cover comes off and you can wash it in the washing machine and put it in the dryer as well? I've done it many times and it comes out looking like new.

I did know that, my question was more about if it had soaked into the foam but a previous poster said the foam is closed so lets hope washing the cover will de-stink it!!!:D

Ajierene
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:22 PM
he he he he he

he he he he he

he he he he he

You just made my night....I can see them conspiring, now!

LexInVA
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:31 PM
*evil laugh*

fatorangehorse
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:39 PM
to all of the above. Also throw Febreez into the mix. Either the wash, or tdrench with the spray. I used that to get the smell from years of cat pee out of my mom's luggage. Wash it the best you can with all the options above and whatever else you can think of. If the smell lingers @ all try the febreez.

SevenDogs
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:52 PM
Seriously -- ENZYME Based cleaner!! Detergent, Febreeze, etc will not work but the cleaners with Enzymes that are made specifically for urine will work.

My favorite is "Anti-Icky Poo". Heard about it on this board and it works 100%. I can't stand the smell of cat pee and would be able to smell even the hint of it. I was ready to throw away a duvet but I tried it and that duvet is on my bed right now.

There are other enzyme based cleaners out there that probably work just as well but regular detergents, etc. can't break down the urine for removal.

Try it -- you will be able to keep your vest!

FuzzyTB
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:56 PM
Try white vinegar - its works really well on eliminating awful smells plus its all natural so it won't hurt any of the materials. :)

Tasker
Dec. 4, 2009, 06:25 AM
Ba-aaad Kitties! BAD kitties!

Another vote for Nature's Miracle for a long soak.

SparklePlenty
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:19 AM
Go buy a new one.. ;) You have till spring anyway.. ;) Then buy me a new helmet while your at it, cuz i need a new skull cap.

thanks!

Lori B
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:23 AM
I wish I had back all the time I've spent in my life cleaning cat pee off of things. Lordy. Second the enzyme cleaner suggestions.

I have amazing luck using OxyClean laundry spray with everything icky. It is a miracle substance.

Phaxxton
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:35 AM
I did know that, my question was more about if it had soaked into the foam but a previous poster said the foam is closed so lets hope washing the cover will de-stink it!!!:D

It shouldn't have soaked into the foam. If it did, then I would probably go about finding a new vest before trying to "wash" it out of the foam. Any water you get into that foam will undoubtedly damage it. The cover should be water resistent, if not waterproof, so hopefully it didn't get into the foam.

Try adding some Oxyclean to the washer when you wash it, along with some Clorox 2.

Cody
Dec. 4, 2009, 02:46 PM
I have used a product that I found at the Sam's warehouse club called "Odo-Ban" and it comes in a gallon jug and also a spray bottle. That has been the only thing that I have found that takes that odor out. I use it in the summertime for washing clothes that I have been outside and sweated in. It takes all that ordor out.

nancy

cloudyandcallie
Dec. 4, 2009, 02:55 PM
Put soaking wet vest between 2 pages of newspaper, the cheap newspaper sheets, not the slick USA Today type, and then put something heavy on top.

The formaldehyde in the newsprint usually takes vomit and human urine and other fun stuff out of police car interiors and newspaper is used by professional cleaners - when we aren't watching them.

nextyear
Dec. 4, 2009, 03:28 PM
20 CATS Holy Meow....
20 mule team Borax works well in the laundry with bad smells

kellidahorsegirl
Dec. 4, 2009, 03:42 PM
White vinegar gets cat pee smell out....I've used it many times when my cats turn against me (evil glare at kitty).

You can mix that into the laundry too along with detergent. The detergent will not get cat pee smell out though.....

carrie_girl
Dec. 4, 2009, 04:22 PM
A thorough soaking of Nature's Miracle worked for me when my cat peed on the train of my wedding dress the night before the wedding.

kellidahorsegirl
Dec. 4, 2009, 04:24 PM
A thorough soaking of Nature's Miracle worked for me when my cat peed on the train of my wedding dress the night before the wedding.

OMG I am sitting here like this :eek:

That'd be one 'figuratively' DEAD CAT wow....glad you got it out though!

carrie_girl
Dec. 4, 2009, 04:29 PM
OMG I am sitting here like this :eek:

That'd be one 'figuratively' DEAD CAT wow....glad you got it out though!

I was afraid he might become a 'literally' DEAD CAT so my husband will never know about that incident!

Said cat is still alive and well BTW. Fat and happy at almost 17 yrs old

kellidahorsegirl
Dec. 4, 2009, 04:47 PM
^I know the feeling! Sometimes I just keep some messes as my lil secret haha

17...wow thats cool!

Gry2Yng
Dec. 4, 2009, 06:37 PM

OMG! I would have killed myself. ETA: And probably dropped kicked the cat.

Sorry MC. Let us know if you get it out. One of the kitties piddled on my Rambo turnout, fortunately, it beaded up and I was able to rinse it off, but boy it smelled.

Equibrit
Dec. 4, 2009, 06:45 PM
Microban is THE stuff - http://www.baneclene.com/catalog/microban.html

wildlifer
Dec. 4, 2009, 11:00 PM
Nature's Miracle is the best stuff ever. It got cat pee out of my guest mattress, and THAT takes doing -- recommended to me by ex-cat-breeder friend, figured she was the cat pee expert.

hb
Dec. 5, 2009, 01:52 AM
soak it with white vinegar.

Flypony
Dec. 5, 2009, 03:03 AM
Soak it in vinegar an shoot all the cats

citydog
Dec. 5, 2009, 03:30 AM
Just an FYI: Nature's Miracle isn't what it used to be. The owners of the company sold the *name* (but not the formula). The old (awesome!) formula is now sold under the name Petastic (http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&pf_id=0028886).

Meredith Clark
Dec. 5, 2009, 11:17 AM
he he he he he

he he he he he

he he he he he

You just made my night....I can see them conspiring, now!

*evil laugh*

Ba-aaad Kitties! BAD kitties!

Another vote for Nature's Miracle for a long soak.

yes yes.. my life is hysterical.. and apparently covered in cat pee!

Meredith Clark
Dec. 5, 2009, 11:19 AM
Go buy a new one.. ;) You have till spring anyway.. ;) Then buy me a new helmet while your at it, cuz i need a new skull cap.

thanks!

bah.. if I have to get a new one I would have to order it like.. now! It took (not an exaggeration..) 5 months for this vest to come in from the day I special ordered it. Now how much that had to do with the brilliance of the then-staff at the tack store when I ordered it... I don't know :lol:

Are there skull caps that fit your big round head? I thought GPA's were your only option :lol:

SparklePlenty
Dec. 5, 2009, 02:09 PM
bah.. if I have to get a new one I would have to order it like.. now! It took (not an exaggeration..) 5 months for this vest to come in from the day I special ordered it. Now how much that had to do with the brilliance of the then-staff at the tack store when I ordered it... I don't know :lol:

Are there skull caps that fit your big round head? I thought GPA's were your only option :lol:

Yeah.. about that helmet.. LOL I'm hoping that the new CO Pro skull will fit better. After that helmet thread and the GPA's not being approved i guess i'm not getting one afterall. Oh well..

;)

lizathenag
Dec. 5, 2009, 04:12 PM
Try white vinegar - its works really well on eliminating awful smells plus its all natural so it won't hurt any of the materials. :)

while not referring to vinegar necessarily, just because something is natural doesn't mean you can use it without thinking.

Strychnine is natural.

InVA
Dec. 6, 2009, 08:07 PM
sure fire way to get the smell out:

1.make a fire in your fireplace..
2.throw the vest into the fire....
3.voila! no more cat pee smell!!!

arnika
Dec. 6, 2009, 08:07 PM
After that helmet thread and the GPA's not being approved i guess i'm not getting one afterall. Oh well..

SparklePlenty, Which helmet thread did you mean that said something about GPAs not being approved??? If that's true I'm going to have heart failure, or maybe a stroke, or apoplexy!:eek::D I love my GPA and it's the only one that fits my small round head!

Meredith Clark
Dec. 6, 2009, 11:28 PM
sure fire way to get the smell out:

1.make a fire in your fireplace..
2.throw the vest into the fire....
3.voila! no more cat pee smell!!!

omg.. I read this as

2. throw the cats into the fire

:eek: :lol:

Meredith Clark
Dec. 6, 2009, 11:29 PM
SparklePlenty, Which helmet thread did you mean that said something about GPAs not being approved??? If that's true I'm going to have heart failure, or maybe a stroke, or apoplexy!:eek::D I love my GPA and it's the only one that fits my small round head!

She wants this one: http://jockeystore.com/GPAJockUp3.html

I asked her the same thing :lol:

lcw579
Dec. 7, 2009, 11:15 AM

:eek::lol: Sounds like something my old man would have done. <sigh> I miss him. But not the constant search for cat pee.

Just an FYI: Nature's Miracle isn't what it used to be. The owners of the company sold the *name* (but not the formula). The old (awesome!) formula is now sold under the name Petastic (http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&pf_id=0028886).

Seconding this.

Having more experience with the removal of cat urine than anyone should be expected to... I have used most of the products listed with varying degrees of success. One thing to remember is to use the enzyme cleaners first before anything else. They work best this way as detergents and such interfere with them.

I recently discovered a great new enzyme cleaner called X-O Plus+ Odor Neutralizer + Cleaner. According to the staff at Braxton's this is what they use at hospitals for all "bodily fluid" clean up. It is expensive but so far I think it is much better than anything I've used before - and I've used them all!

caffeinated
Dec. 7, 2009, 11:17 AM
I recently found some stuff called "urine out" which seems to work very well. And leaves a nice fresh scent. ;)

Now to go see if it will work on my down body pillow. *sigh*

LexInVA
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:14 PM
I recently found some stuff called "urine out" which seems to work very well. And leaves a nice fresh scent. ;)

Now to go see if it will work on my down body pillow. *sigh*

Dare we ask? :lol: