PDA

View Full Version : Professional divisions?????

Madeline
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:19 PM
I just got my latest Chronicle with the article in In The Country "Jacksonville Winter Series Revises Professional Hunter Divisions."

What's with that? I thought that the whole point was that these were unrestricted OPEN divisions. I know that few amateurs dare to venture into these divisions these days, but they are OPEN to all, aren't they? If so, the Chronicle certainly should not perpetuate the error of common incorrect usage.

Just because the professionals would like the amateurs to believe that the open divisions are only open to pros, and that they therefore deserve all the nicest rides, it just isn't so...

hntrjmprpro45
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:48 PM
They most likely used the term "professional" division (like many people) because it is actually open to professionals unlike the majority of the divisions at the show. Yes they are open to everyone but they are mainly there to give professionals a place to show. I don't know of anyone that would use the term "professional division" to scare off other amatuer/jr riders seeing as most professionals are not intimidated by ammys.

Madeline
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:24 PM
They most likely used the term "professional" division (like many people) because it is actually open to professionals unlike the majority of the divisions at the show. Yes they are open to everyone but they are mainly there to give professionals a place to show. I don't know of anyone that would use the term "professional division" to scare off other amatuer/jr riders seeing as most professionals are not intimidated by ammys.

Not buying it. "Amateur " divisions are only for amateurs. A logical person (who may be being suckered by his/her trainer) would likely conclude that a "professional" division is only for professionals.

Sloppy language will lead to misunderstandings, especially if COTH (pretty much the magazine of record for the sport) uses that language.

Open division is correct.

madeline
(COTH subscriber since 1964)
Sorry, COTH, this article pushed my button.

Quack
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:29 PM
Is this really all you got out of that column?

Serah
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:34 PM
"Just because the professionals would like the amateurs to believe that the open divisions are only open to pros, and that they therefore deserve all the nicest rides, it just isn't so..."

Seriously?!? You REALLY think that?? I just don't understand all this vengeance and anger towards the Pros these days...

the people who have devoted their lives to the sport...

the people that work 24/7/365....

the people who have devoted their life to sharing their love of the sport and talent with people who are wanting to learn...

Trust me, we don't do it for the money... and any amateur that can READ A PRIZELIST knows that the division in question are open to ANYONE...

MHM
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:36 PM
Not buying it. "Amateur " divisions are only for amateurs. A logical person (who may be being suckered by his/her trainer) would likely conclude that a "professional" division is only for professionals.

Sloppy language will lead to misunderstandings, especially if COTH (pretty much the magazine of record for the sport) uses that language.

A logical person could read the rules or class specs easily enough.

Why don't you call or write the editor of the Chronicle if you're so concerned?

hntrjmprpro45
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:46 PM
Yes, I would say someone who is not well informed about shows would definitely assume that "professional" divisions mean professional only. However (and I haven't read the article) I would assume the revisions are targeted towards the people who ride in them (yes I know not ALL the riders are pros but the whole purpose for the division is so that pros can show horses in something) and therefore they probably used the word "professional" to get the professionals attention. In fact many shows actually have a division called "Open Hunter" (unrated division open to anyone and usually set around 3'6") so they were probably trying to not create a confusion. Its just a shorthand way of writing "pregreen, Greens, regulars, baby greens, etc". I'm sure there was no diabolical scheme to secretly brainwash people into believing that those divisions are solely open to pros. Seriously I would have never jumped to the conclusion that the author had some secrete agenda like scaring off ammys.

Alterrain
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:48 PM
It's just become a colloquialism. I am an ammy, and fully understand that I am able to show in the "Professional Divisions" if I so wish. (I do not) And the REASONS I do not are NOT because I have been "brainwashed" by my trainer, but rather, 1. because I would prefer my trainer to show my horse earlier in the week, so he has been in the ring, is quieter, lead changes more auto, etc. and 2. the fences are too big for me, and 3. I enjoy showing against my peers (in regard to ability) and actually being able to ribbon.

And I don't understand your last sentence? You HONESTLY think that if the average ammy understood that they were welcome to show in the Pro Divisions, they would? Ummm, I don't think so. Most of us are already aware of this, and most of us would rather have the Pro ride our horse earlier in the week for the reasons I stated above.

Once again, Madeline, I find your post unnecessarily aggressive. Why this weird personal vendetta you seem to harbor towards the Pro's?

heartinrye
Dec. 3, 2009, 11:56 PM
Really?
If they were to print "open" divisions, those who are 'uneducated' may think that it is open to all HORSES, which in fact is false, only certain horses are eligible, pre-green, 1st, 2nd etc. I think *most* people who read COTH are educated and realize that 'pro' divisions are open to everyone, but that realistically it is mostly PROS showing in them...

shawneeAcres
Dec. 4, 2009, 07:32 AM
I am a small time pro and ACTUALLY I find very FEW divisions I can show in vs. the ammy rider these days. Usually I ride in smaller shows, normally the NCHJA "C" shows and at most of those there is ONE, count it ONE division I can show in, Schooling hunter, and USUALLY I am on a greenie when I can ride, and the AMMYs beat ME! I think I have more of a gripe than the ammys do to be honest! But the ammys showing most certainly know what divisions they can show in.

Midge
Dec. 4, 2009, 08:53 AM
I just got my latest Chronicle with the article in In The Country "Jacksonville Winter Series Revises Professional Hunter Divisions."<snip>

Just because the professionals would like the amateurs to believe that the open divisions are only open to pros, and that they therefore deserve all the nicest rides, it just isn't so.<snip>

A logical person (who may be being suckered by his/her trainer) would likely conclude that a "professional" division is only for professionals.

Wow, you sound bitter. Surely you've been around long enough to know 90% of the showing world refers to them as 'professional' divisions. Ammies all know they can show in them if they want. Juniors, too.

findeight
Dec. 4, 2009, 11:27 AM
And 90% of those riders in the classes are Pros...during the week for one thing. Don't see Amy Ammie out there on Wedneday afternoon in the Pre Green too often.

And, you know, anybody who is going to spend a grand a week for a AA USEF rated show, I would imagine, can read the prize list and understands Pros cannot ride in Ammy classes but ammies can ride in "Pro" classes without having to be spoon fed the information.