PDA

View Full Version : Who's got an automatic farm gate?

Sparky Boy
Dec. 3, 2009, 06:53 PM
I'm looking into getting a gate at the end of the driveway to keep the uninvited out. Don't want to spend a fortune but want one that is reliable. As far as the actual gate, I'd be fine with a tube farm gate but I think SO wants something a little "nicer" looking.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

bird4416
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:16 PM
Check out the GTO Pro Mighty Mule gate opener. You can use it with a tube gate or with a nice looking custom wrought iron gate.

Bluey
Dec. 4, 2009, 07:52 AM
We are finally getting a GTO PRO sliding gate opener, I think, will talk to them today:

http://www.gtoinc.com/

The ones with the arm don't work if you have a snow drift there, or if the wind is blowing very hard, as it does here regularly, so that is why we are thinking sliding, even if those cost more.
A neighbor has one of those and really likes it.

Lets see what others propose.:)

PONYPULR
Dec. 4, 2009, 08:07 AM
My husband installed the Mighty Mule on the existing iron gate. It works well if we don't have a surge or blip in electricity. It works off a battery, but the battery is charged electronically. Reason being, if there's a loss of electricity, you can still access the property. But if there's a blip/surge, the charging process ceases until reset. The gate then works until the battery is dead. So, it's important to check the battery from time to time. There may even be a light or something to tell you that there's been a break in the charging.

But it was fairly easy to install, holds closed when the wind blows, and works great as long as the battery is charged!

gallupgirl
Dec. 4, 2009, 08:53 AM
We have the redneck form of the automatic gate opener. It's a garage door opener rigged to the gate. Ours is a tube gate, the upgrade from the old aluminum panel-type gate. Works great we have permanent openers in the house and hand-held ones in each truck......never have to get out to open or close the gate.

Sparky Boy
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:09 AM
So we were thinking we'd have to run power all the way out there. The battery option sounds interesting. Again, IF it works. I've heard lots of people complain about the gates not working properly. I don't want to be one of those people.

I'd also like to spend less than 1,000-1,500 if possible. Called GTO and the 16' gates start at 2,469. :(

Anyone have pictures of theirs?

Bluey
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:45 AM
You don't need to have electricity to the site of the gate.
All companies have models with solar panels to keep the batteries charged.

We are going to only buy either the swing or slide system, already have the gate.
Still, they are pricey..

Dec. 4, 2009, 04:35 PM
Got ours from Tractor Supply for around $400 for the kit.
Mighty Mule® Heavy-Duty Automatic Gate Opener, Single Gate 500
Automatic Gate Opener | Brand : Mighty Mule® | Maximum Gate Length : 18 ft. | Maximum Gate Weight : 850 lbs. | Additional Features : Solar Compatible |

There are other items that you will need/want that are not included with the kit. We probably spent near $700 for everything including renting a trencher, wire, conduit ...

My brother got one before we did and worked all the kinks out of it, the first thing he did was toss the little battery that came with it.

We bought a car battery to use instead, a plastic battery case to protect the battery, a gate code pad to get in, button to get out and ran electricity to charge the battery. Since we ran electricty we put lights on each side of the gate. We have had it for over 3 years and the only problem we have is that every once in a while we have to reprogram the code pad.

You can see the gate in the background of this picture, the black box on the ground on the left side of the gate is the battery box.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/hacooke/The%20Babies/PUZZLED2-1.jpg

We love it and don't know how we lived without it.

Sparky Boy
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:52 AM
Got ours from Tractor Supply for around $400 for the kit.
Mighty Mule® Heavy-Duty Automatic Gate Opener, Single Gate 500
Automatic Gate Opener | Brand : Mighty Mule® | Maximum Gate Length : 18 ft. | Maximum Gate Weight : 850 lbs. | Additional Features : Solar Compatible |

There are other items that you will need/want that are not included with the kit. We probably spent near $700 for everything including renting a trencher, wire, conduit ...

My brother got one before we did and worked all the kinks out of it, the first thing he did was toss the little battery that came with it.

We bought a car battery to use instead, a plastic battery case to protect the battery, a gate code pad to get in, button to get out and ran electricity to charge the battery. Since we ran electricty we put lights on each side of the gate. We have had it for over 3 years and the only problem we have is that every once in a while we have to reprogram the code pad.

You can see the gate in the background of this picture, the black box on the ground on the left side of the gate is the battery box.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/hacooke/The%20Babies/PUZZLED2-1.jpg

We love it and don't know how we lived without it.

What is the width of your gate? I think it would be easier for us to do a single gate because the driveway is paved and with a double gate you'd need electric for both sides. Problem is I need a 14' gate and the largest single gates I'm seeing online are 12'.

Also wondering if we should go steel or aluminum?

cyriz's mom
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:19 AM
TSC has a heavier duty mighty mule that can handle up to an 18' gate.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/mighty-mule-reg-heavy-duty-automatic-gate-opener-single-gate-500-3605003