PDA

View Full Version : Showing a Warmblood/Draft

jumpwhat0056
Dec. 3, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hi,
I am thinking about purchasing a warmblood draft gelding that looks more like a draft horse. He is a great jumper, and I know we could win some classes, but can you show a "draft" horse? I know you can at local shows, but would I get made fun of if I took my draft to a rated show like Upperville?
Thanks!

cgray0983
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:39 PM
If you want to do it and you think your horse can, I don't see why not. There is no restriction on breeds that are allowed to go to any given horse show*.;)

If you are afraid you will be made fun of, then that's the spectators problem, as long as you are confident in your horse and yourself, there shouldn't be a problem!

I leased a young Percheron cross a few years ago, the bugger looked like a tank and was almost 18hh, but he was athletic. With him though I probably would have stuck him in the jumper ring based on his style of jumping and the utter lack of a good hack trot, he had some nice draft knees going on, hehe. So, I don't know what you are planning on doing with him if you get him, but definitely weigh in if you want to do the hunters; "most", not all, either don't have the cadence/stride, or movement for the hunter ring.

Edit: *Any given USEF-rated Hunter/Jumper show - I am sure breed shows may not accept him :P

heartinrye
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:53 PM
What would you be showing him in? You are allowed to take any horse into the ring at H/J shows, but I wouldn't expect ribbons with a draft at a show like Upperville, just how it is, sadly.

Bravestrom
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:57 PM
let's see a pic - we breed warmblood/draft crosses - you can see some pics of ours at

www.hotelfun4kids.com/horses.htm

FAW
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:57 PM
I have a dutch warmblood/ draft cross. His draft is Clydesdale without the feathers on his legs. Did jumpers with his previous owner and I do long stirrup hunters. He's very flashy.

Pony Soprano
Dec. 3, 2009, 08:06 PM
Are you thinking of showing in the hunters or jumpers?

If he is quite a gentleman, you might be able to get away with some low level classes like long stirrup in the hunters based on his suitability, which is in the class descriptions.

If you are thinking jumpers, then go for it! Laura Chapot showed a draft horse at WEF a few years ago in the high schooling classes.

Rockfish
Dec. 3, 2009, 08:25 PM
It would depend on what draft breed he is x'ed with and how drafty tends to look and move. I've know some perch x's that were fantastic jumpers (in the jumper ring), and some clyde x's that plowed thru everything. There are some Irish Draught and Irish Draught X classes at Upperville, if that's what he's crossed with.

Also if he turns out to be very talented in the hunt field, those classes at what shows offer them could be open to him.

hntrjmprpro45
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:17 PM
If the horse is athletic then go for it but if it really moves like a draft then definitly not. I got back from a vacation one day and had one of my students (a newer one) tell me that she bought a warmblood (yes imagine my surprise). So I asked for details and she told me it was an American warmblood (turns out it was a percheron cross), 17+ hands (this part was true, although she failed to mention it was a tank), and could jump 4' (by jump I think they meant "plow through"). Needless to say it was like riding a freight train (big, slow to get going, slow to stop, tons of momentum, difficult to turn, and have you ever seen a train jump a fence? no.) and while the horse was a sweet horse, it was not a hunter/jumper. So, if the horse moves like a non-draft horse (draft horses usually have the characteristic lumbering gaits that kind of lumber from side to side) and can jump well then go for it. There are plenty of "heavy" warmbloods/irish sporthorses/draft crosses that are can hold their own, just make sure your horse fall into that category not the "plow throught the jumps" category.

zbella
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:28 PM
yea of course you can! who cares what other people would say..if they made fun of u then go win the class and that will make them stop.haha.i did 4ft jumpers on a percheron theroughbred cross and he was amazing! my only concern would be his soundness..make sre hes not to heavy if you want to jump him

dghunter
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:40 PM
I knew a draft cross (I can't remember what the draft part was though, sorry :() And she was the best jumper I've ever been on. She made a great eq mount for the girl in local medals and then did jumpers at WEF with a girl who ended up buying her. She could jump the moon and had such a smooth jump compared to anything I'd ever been on. She cleaned up in the jumper ring :yes:

dainty do
Dec. 4, 2009, 12:45 AM
Just want to mention that a Shire (draft) x Thoroughbred won a gold medal in the Olympics in Show Jumping (many years back), and that Gina Miles won a silver (2008) on her Irish Draft TB cross in Eventing. So there are good crosses out there. Some are natural jumpers, others, not so much.

cgray0983
Dec. 4, 2009, 12:53 AM
Just want to mention that a Shire (draft) x Thoroughbred won a gold medal in the Olympics in Show Jumping (many years back), and that Gina Miles won a silver (2008) on her Irish Draft TB cross in Eventing. So there are good crosses out there. Some are natural jumpers, others, not so much.

Irish Draughts aren't considered Drafts like Perch, Shire, and Clydes. I was put in my place once for saying that to a RID breeder >.< They are jsut heavy warmbloods with a lot in draft influence.

"Over a century of selection has produced a warm-blooded breed that is very sound, sensible animals with good bone, substance and quality. The Irish Draught is neither as massive nor as heavily feathered as its name implies and has movement that is smooth and free, without exaggeration, and not heavy nor ponderous. Standing over a lot of ground, the Draught has an exceptionally strong and sound constitution, great stamina and an uncanny jumping ability. In addition, this breed possesses a fabulous temperament made up of willingness, intelligence, docility and common sense."

-Irish Draught Society, http://www.irishdraught.com/aboutid/

Just pointing out what I was scolded for on these boards not too long ago :yes:

And, yeah if your horse is an RID cross - that gives him an advantage in the athleticism department :) My current boy is RID x TB.

Ray
Dec. 4, 2009, 08:16 AM
it depends alot on what ring you want to show in (???)

my mare is only 1/8 draft (Clyde), yet it shows in her movement. So I dont do flat classes in Hunters, just o/f, where her style is good and her pleasant attitude goes a ways. We are starting to do more Eq, where her "energy conservation" mode translates to a easy to stay with jump :)

jumpwhat0056
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks so much! Yes, he is an athletic jumper, and also a good mover (he is also trained in lower level dressage). I was thinking jumpers, or equitation. I don't know if he has the fancy movement for the hunter ring. So you think it is suitable?

He's offered at a great price, and is really flashy and adorable, I just wanted something kinda fancy that I could show.

I don't have pictures :-(, but he is about 15.3 and is bay with a little bit of feathering (not too much), probably about 1500 pounds.

eventingismylife
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:28 PM
I know a really nice, big draft cross that does rated hunters and he is always winning both the flat and over fences classes. Its funny actually that he is placing above the TB's and WB's that were bred for hunters- because he is always in the top 3 ;). I say go for it!