PDA

View Full Version : Lamplight Equestrian Center

who22
Dec. 3, 2009, 04:52 PM
Hey all you Chicago (and non-Chicago) horsey folks!

I have been hearing rumors of troubles at Lamplight. Checked the Showplace Productions page and it doesn't even list Lamplight on there under "Facility Information" like it used to.

Also, looks like they did away with the B circuit?

Anyone know anymore dirt on this? I would hate to see Lamplight go :no:, as I would much rather show there than Ledges any day!

pbrain1088
Dec. 3, 2009, 05:57 PM
The IHJA site just updated the new schedules and lamplight shows are listed. They also have the B schedule.

http://www.ihja.com/A_schedule_2010.htm

who22
Dec. 3, 2009, 06:02 PM
Hey thanks for pointing that out! TONS fewer B shows now though, huh? That's sad to see. Also, I noticed that only two of those shows are at Lamplight, the rest are at Ledges. I remember when those shows used to travel everywhere!

Serah
Dec. 3, 2009, 06:28 PM
as far as i know, lamplight will still have shows, they just won't be put on by Showplace... unless showplace and lamplight can come to an agreement. It seems that showplace is not happy with the lack of maintenance at Lamplight (ie FOOTING!!!)

As far as the B circuit is concerned, their entries are dwindling... and I think that is reflected in their schedule this year....

No worries, they are workin' hard up in Lake Geneva!!!!

slp
Dec. 3, 2009, 06:34 PM
Showplace (aka Pat Boyle) owns the dates, not the facility, so if he decides to move them to Geneva....who knows?

myleetlepony
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:09 PM
Whoa...I've been out of the loop for a little while...what's going on up in Lake Geneva???

hntrjmprpro45
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:06 PM
Hey just wondering, why don't you like Ledges? I have only been there once (a while ago) but it seemed nice enough (decent arenas and good footing). The only thing that I would think needs improving is the stalling. Lamplight is a much nicer facility but just wondering why you didn't like Ledges (again its been a while and I'm curious if it has changed or gotten worse).

slp
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:37 PM
Whoa...I've been out of the loop for a little while...what's going on up in Lake Geneva???

http://www.equinenow.com/farm/lake_geneva_equestrian_center.htm

Being built I guess, their website has a site plan and they have a Facebook page with a picture of the entry signage.

preciouspony
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:00 PM
I didn't know Showplace was having problems with Lamplight. I guess I'm out of the loop too.

I'm so excited to hear about the Lake Geneva show grounds! It will be a bit closer than Ledges/Lamplight/Everywhere else. Lol!

I don't mean to hijack... But has anyone heard that Showplace will be hosting a Grandprix at the Midwest Horse Fair??

Serah
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:07 PM
I did hear that!!!! $40k is what i heard!!!

Serah
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:09 PM
http://midwesthorsefair.com/index.php?page=home_detail&post_id=3778

preciouspony
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:10 PM
I hope it works out well! It's about time the fair got some more english oriented events! I wonder who will be riding in it, I would think most of the big GP riders would be in Florida for the winter.

Serah
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:13 PM
Its by invitation... but i agree, its not exactly a H/J venue... but i'm sure by making it invitation only they will be able to fill 30 spots...

preciouspony
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:31 PM
Awesome! It's about time we got a GP here during the winter! :lol:

Giddy-up
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:34 AM
As others have stated, those are Showplace dates which they can have at any facility they want. The only shows that are really affected are the 2 May A warm up shows, the 2 June Spectacular shows & A Finals. The Equifest dates belong to Lamplight & they have just hired Showplace to run those shows.

As for the IHJA B circuit--I went to the annual IHJA meeting in '08 & I know there was much discussion about trying to resurect that circuit & how to attract more people to show there. Honestly it sounded like if they couldn't make it happen in '09, the circuit was facing an end. I know in '09 they made a big push to attract more riders & offered smaller series prizes & more awards within the year. Not sure how it all went over as I did not attend the 2009 IHJA meeting so I don't know what their future plans are.

I think showing in IL is quite competitive & show managers need to go above & beyond to attract/keep customers. There are many circuits to choose from (A, B, NIHJA, IL short circuit, a place to start) plus the schooling shows. In this economy & with limited budgets, people want as much bang for the buck as possible so they are trying new shows or circuits.

As far as the Lamplight situation--who knows what will come in the next few months? If footing really is the issue, that's a very valid complaint. The GP ring is unbeliveably unlevel & when the weather is not good it's very messy. I've seen many horses slip or fall. People have been complaining for years & it doesn't appear to be changing. Ledges is a great facility, but size wise it can't hold the masses of horse or all the people/vehicles that go with them.

I am sure the Lake Geneva facility is going to be lovely when it's complete, but honestly Lamplight is 20 minutes for me v/s Lake Geneva being over an hour & trying to stay in a hotel in a "resort" area isn't going to be budget friendly.

who22
Dec. 4, 2009, 03:19 PM
Hey just wondering, why don't you like Ledges? I have only been there once (a while ago) but it seemed nice enough (decent arenas and good footing). The only thing that I would think needs improving is the stalling. Lamplight is a much nicer facility but just wondering why you didn't like Ledges (again its been a while and I'm curious if it has changed or gotten worse).

Ledges is just soooo much smaller than anywhere else. Granted, their outdoor facilities are nice, but when showing indoors, St. Louis seems to be a much much nicer (but farther away) place to show. JMHO :)

hntrjmprpro45
Dec. 4, 2009, 07:23 PM
They do rated indoor shows there? Wow, now I would believe that would really stink! I have only been to one of their outdoor shows (because St.Louis is where we go in the winter too, although it is much closer to us than the Chicago area) which I thought was decently nice.

Valeureux
Dec. 5, 2009, 12:59 AM
I'm really excited for the Lake Geneva to finally be completed, it's so much closer to my house than lamplight. I do like the lamplight venue, but, agreeing with the other posters, the footing is wretched. And ledges is decent, but the past couple years they have had illness and ventilation issues. yuck. :no:

headsupheelsdown
Dec. 20, 2009, 04:28 PM
My main issue with Ledges is that there is the only 1 indoor. With a ton horses there... and only the little tiny warm-up area... not my favorite. I think the entire indoor riding space for winter is 86x300 and it is divided into a 86x100 warm-up area and an 86 by 200 competetion ring and there can be hundreds of horses there for a week.

They did a major rehab a few years ago and the heat is really good, plenty of washracks and really the best cheeseburgers I have ever tasted.

Lake Geneva would be too far for me... it would put it into the having to get a hotel room category and, exactly like Giddy-up, I don't want to deal with that right now.... It sounds like Lake Geneva is only going to be a summer venue? Am I missing any mention of indoors? The St. Louis facility (NEC) is really super, but again, in the too far away category.

Lamplight is world-class, IMHO. I just heard there is an issue between Lamplight and Showplace. Have heard lots of versions about what is going on, Showplace leaving because of defects with Lamplight is yet another version. Would be nice if Lamplight finds a different production company before the season starts if they don't work things out with Showplace.... they could even run it themselves...

snaffle635
Dec. 20, 2009, 05:00 PM
The IHJA website says Spring Warm Up, Spring Spectacular, and Fall Finals will be at Lamplight. Is there still a chance one or more of these shows could move to Lake Geneva?

headsupheelsdown
Dec. 20, 2009, 09:02 PM
I put a request out on Chicagoland Hunter Jumper Riders on Facebook to see if anyone has anymore info... I will let you guys know if anyone replies and what they have to say...

IDK.... I did a lot of googling and I keep finding that LGEC is "planned". They have a website... genevashowproductions.com and it just says "coming soon". I see no planned indoors...

I would say if the shows are listed at Lamplight, they are probably still there. You can probably call them. I can't help thinking that some other production company isn't waiting to get in and run the shows there... it is such a lovely, busy summer facility.

Giddy-up
Dec. 21, 2009, 09:58 AM
The IHJA website says Spring Warm Up, Spring Spectacular, and Fall Finals will be at Lamplight. Is there still a chance one or more of these shows could move to Lake Geneva?

I don't know how often they update the IHJA website & with the holidays. Just saying.

Last I checked, Showplace didn't have anything listed at Lamplight on their website & they seem to be updating more frequently.

Lamplight is a decent show facility. But it has issues it needs to address as well. The footing & levelness of the GP ring would be my #1. The stabling back in Tent City (electrical, holey tents, water access). They need to figure a better way to handle the water when it rains so it doesn't flood as badly. The smell & flies after 2 weeks back there is gross. Manure piles need to be dumped more frequently. They need better laid out lunging areas. And have more than 2-3 bathrooms for the whole area.

perfecta11
Dec. 21, 2009, 02:36 PM
As Giddy-up was just saying, there are problems at Lamplight, but don't be fooled thinking they're all Showplace's fault. The footing is bad at Lamplight because the owners don't put the money in to keep it up, hence why it's so much better at Ledges. At Lamplight, the money gets put into doing the landscaping, not building permanent bathroom facilities or proper manure dumping areas, or fixing drainage.

It's been my experience that Showplace does what they can to fix the footing at Lamplight in the spring before their shows start up there, but can only do so much since they're the ones that have to rent the facility to run all but the Equifest shows. And the bathrooms -- did anyone notice how at the Showplace owned shows the bathrooms up top and down bottom were the air conditioned trailers, whereas at the Lamplight owned Equifest shows all we got were portapotties? That's cause Showplace pays to make up for the facility's inadequacies when they're at liberty to do it.

So, if I'm reading the thread correctly, it seems like everyone would like the facility to improve and get better because they love showing there, but the only suggestions that have been made are that another production company should just come in and run the shows there instead? Well then you'll have shows there again, but the facility is still going to have all the same problems!

ComeAbout
Dec. 21, 2009, 02:45 PM
Pat Boyle and Showplace Productions are taking their Lamplight dates and moving to the Lake Geneva Facility. The dates that Lamplight owned will presumably stay at Lamplight run by I don't know who.

ComeAbout
Dec. 21, 2009, 02:58 PM
You do realize that this means that Lamplight will not be able to get any dates other than the dates they own at Equifest due to the mileage rules. Between Showplace's dates, and Mason City Iowa dates that pretty much closes out Lamplight for any more hunter jumper shows. Looks like you Illinoians are going to have to do a little travelling...

dags
Dec. 21, 2009, 03:10 PM
Foiled again by the mileage rule . . . a rule enacted when gas was $0.53 a gallon . . . get with the times USEF.

ComeAbout
Dec. 21, 2009, 03:17 PM
Plus those zone 5 shows now become zone 6 shows!

slp
Dec. 21, 2009, 03:24 PM
Plus those zone 5 shows now become zone 6 shows!

Which means that all of the people from Michigan that come out for those shows will have to find somewhere else to go since they will get no points competing in Wisconsin. :no:

headsupheelsdown
Dec. 21, 2009, 04:52 PM
Ok, correct me if I am wrong, but if show dates move from Zone 5 to Zone 6, wouldn't those dates open up again and become available for shows to be had by someone in Zone 5? From the comments, they wouldn't because of some outdated mileage rules?

Here's hoping that Showplace and Lamplight work something out!

SportsFan46
Dec. 21, 2009, 05:13 PM
OMG! I can not believe that there is going to be a Grand Prix at the Midwest Horse Fair. I was there once and it was a really low end crowd, many who were there for " a day in the sun " ( i.e something to do! ) and not really a horsey crowd.

Giddy-up
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:53 AM
Which means that all of the people from Michigan that come out for those shows will have to find somewhere else to go since they will get no points competing in Wisconsin. :no:

But since MI & WI "touch" you will still get your points. People from Indiana or Ohio or Kentucky won't get points.

Senior-rider
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:04 PM
Lamplight is a decent show facility. But it has issues it needs to address as well. Tent City (electrical, holey tents, water access). They need to figure a better way to handle the water when it rains so it doesn't flood as badly. The smell & flies after 2 weeks back there is gross. Manure piles need to be dumped more frequently. They need better laid out lunging areas. And have more than 2-3 bathrooms for the whole area.

I second the comment about the lunging areas - they are pitiful - footing is terrible, and only 3 horses can be lunged at once. Its downright dangerous for the horses. And some small paddocks would be great, esp. when your horse is ther for 2 weeks.

Giddy-up
Mar. 4, 2010, 10:36 AM
and now Showplace Production shows are back at Lamplight for this year.

findeight
Mar. 4, 2010, 12:09 PM
There is nothing (as in no show grounds) at Geneva yet and Lamplight/ Showplace will be hosting the zone 5 Horsemanship competition and the Maclay Regionals usually held at the KHP in September.

Don't panic.

Giddy-up
Mar. 4, 2010, 12:13 PM
There is nothing (as in no show grounds) at Geneva yet and Lamplight/ Showplace will be hosting the zone 5 Horsemanship competition and the Maclay Regionals usually held at the KHP in September.

Don't panic.

Actually I was told the KY National show (Maclay Regionals) will be at Lamplight in Sept, but with their show management running it. Perhaps that has changed? Not sure of Showplace's involvement in that show unless they have been hired to work it.

This is in regards to the other A/AA shows Showplace has dates for. I am not panicking, but it is nice to have a clue for planning & budgeting. Especially when you are talking one show facility is in your backyard & the other facility (not Lake Geneva) is a drive & possibly a hotel.

findeight
Mar. 4, 2010, 12:40 PM
No, it's Showplace productions and Pat according to USHJA in the zone news section of In Stride. Just read it this morning.

ExJumper
Mar. 4, 2010, 12:55 PM
and now Showplace Production shows are back at Lamplight for this year.

Are you sure? What is your source?

I've been quite concerned about this. I heard that the Spectaculars were going to be jammed into Ledges and I was probably going to skim them this year. I think the regular AA shows are fine there, but the schedule of the Spectaculars jammed into those rings/that footprint would be (in my opinion) a disaster!

meganp
Mar. 4, 2010, 01:12 PM
Phelps just did a press release yesterday about the Showplace Productions show schedule and included Lamplight...

http://www.phelpsmediagroup.com/viewarticle.php?id=4843

Smiles
Mar. 4, 2010, 01:23 PM
find8 according to usef site showplace is not hosting this show.

327729 9/22/2010 - 9/26/2010 KENTUCKY AT LAMPLIGHT
WAYNE, IL
Type: R Zone: 5
Division(s) & Rating(s)

www.thekentuckynational.com
Competition Phone:
(615) 838-7560 SUZANNE MAYO
P O BOX 681761
FRANKLIN, TN 37068-1761

Giddy-up
Mar. 4, 2010, 01:30 PM
Are you sure? What is your source?

:lol: No 2nd hand here. I went straight to the boss. I saw the Phelps press release yesterday & was curious.

findeight
Mar. 4, 2010, 01:31 PM
Well, USHJA and USEF seem to have conflicting information. Suzanne is a show secretary, maybe she is working with Showplace for this one?

Or maybe there is some kind of agreement between the 2 show managements??? KY National's dates at Lamplight hosted by Showplace and Pat Boyle??

I don't even care, not showing AA any more.

ExJumper
Mar. 4, 2010, 01:33 PM
:lol: No 2nd hand here. I went straight to the boss. I saw the Phelps press release yesterday & was curious.

We've been spending the last few months freaking out and speculating about this. I couldn't believe that there was REAL VERIFIABLE news about it!

Lake Geneva better have that June 2 show, though. I won a free stall at the WHJA banquet and I am DETERMINED to use it!!

Giddy-up
Mar. 4, 2010, 01:37 PM
We've been spending the last few months freaking out and speculating about this. I couldn't believe that there was REAL VERIFIABLE news about it!

Lake Geneva better have that June 2 show, though. I won a free stall at the WHJA banquet and I am DETERMINED to use it!!

Have they broken ground yet or done anything? Are those Alan's dates? Maybe they will have that show elsewhere....

RyGirl
Mar. 4, 2010, 07:19 PM
I sincerely hope Showplace is not managing the KY Nationals at Lamplight. I would love to be able to go in the Amateur Adult Jumpers without having to spend $150 a class because they are all classics. Blah.

Oh sorry, ONE is always a $500 class.

slp
Mar. 4, 2010, 09:58 PM
www.thekentuckynational.com (http://www.thekentuckynational.com)

Show manager is still Hugh K., information is on the 'contact us' page.

No mention of this show on the Showplace website nor on their press release from yesterday, so that would tell me that Showplace isn't involved in this one at all.

OneonOne
Mar. 4, 2010, 10:39 PM
If Lake Geneva is having a June 2nd show, they've got lots of work to do before then. The road is in, as well as that fancy sign from the facebook photos. There's a jobsite trailer onsite, but that's it as of last week.

headsupheelsdown
Mar. 5, 2010, 12:19 AM
Nothing at all? No arenas no stabling nothing?

ComeAbout
Mar. 5, 2010, 11:50 PM
Word is Lake Geneva will not be ready in time to host this yrs Showplace dates which is why their add did not mention Lake Geneva nor Lamplight. Even if they jumped through hoops to get it built the footing would not be 'cooked' and ready for showing this year. Just listed their dates with plans to hold the shows this yr at Ledges. Limited stabling there most likely means a by invitation only show season. Unless a kiss and make up session has occured between Lamplight and Showplace that is how this year will play out. Those hoping for Lamplight to hold thier own shows or hire another show manager will be hard pressed to find available dates in which to do so. They own the 2 weeks and thats about it. Most of the other weeks are owned already by shows that fall within the milage rules of 250 miles. Like I said before Mason City and Des Moines Iowa welcome you...10 weeks of A and AA shows between those 2 cities. Midstates Horse Shows and Hott Horse Shows

Smiles
Mar. 6, 2010, 11:49 AM
ComeAbout, you really need to read the entire thread... :rolleyes: Lamplight and showplace have Kissed and made up for this year. Read here http://www.phelpsmediagroup.com/viewarticle.php?id=4843 and read here http://www.showplaceproductions.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=229

OneonOne
Mar. 6, 2010, 11:57 AM
Nothing at all? No arenas no stabling nothing?

I will drive by again next week when more of the snow has melted, but as far as I could see last week, there's a road of some sort off of Hwy 50 (I assume the fancy sign is at this entrance) and around at least a portion of the perimeter (it was snow covered and not plowed, it may go around the whole property). Save the construction trailer (which was not leveled or "set up" in anyway), it's just a cornfield still.

They can get plenty of dirt moved once the frost comes out, but there are still arenas and buildings to go up.

I'll try to get by there next week if some of the snow melts (it's supposed to be warmer) and see what else I can see from the road.

Serah
Mar. 6, 2010, 08:02 PM
So are we all just supposed to forget about the footing issue at lamplight? Has anyone heard plans to do anything footing wise there? One minute its bad enough that showplace is moving out and now we are supposed to just grin and bear it? I know there was more to do with the showplace/lamplight situation than just footing, but i was really hoping showplace would hold out long enough to force lamplight to quit planting flowers and start making some improvements to what really counts. I realize they only have so much control, and maybe with the delay in the geneva complex they didn't have much of a choice. Lamplight is a great facility and beautiful, I just don't know how willing I am to send my horses back into some of those rings.

eventer80
Mar. 8, 2010, 11:43 AM
They have just announced that they will not be holding any Horse Trials there and there is some legal stuff involved. Wonder if this will affect the other types of shows.

Giddy-up
Mar. 8, 2010, 12:51 PM
They have just announced that they will not be holding any Horse Trials there and there is some legal stuff involved. Wonder if this will affect the other types of shows.

I had heard Maui Jim wasn't happening this year. What a shame to lose such a great event in this area.