PDA

View Full Version : If horse is happy with a cheap bit, no need to change it?

*JumpIt*
Dec. 3, 2009, 02:51 PM
Just a warning this is probably silly. My mare currently goes in a plain old egg butt with no complaints, would she really be that much happier with say a herm sprenger or such?

Idk they seem to be portrayed as (expensive) miracle bits for the picky horse. Are they just as miraculous for the non-picky horses?

Renn/aissance
Dec. 3, 2009, 03:10 PM
If your horse is happy, she's happy. Have a good ride. :)

Pinque2
Dec. 3, 2009, 03:13 PM
Keep what she's happy with. I got a $120 HS bit for my mare who was perfectly happy in a $30 French Link eggbutt. She hated the HS.

cgray0983
Dec. 3, 2009, 04:00 PM
Yep, if she's happy keep her there :-)

My horse is happiest in my ancient western-style hackamore that I bought for $7 at a garage/barn sale. I have a whole slew of fancy bits (as I like to collect). But, its really nice to have a horse that is happy going in something simple and cheap - more moolah for fancy bridle!

Come Shine
Dec. 3, 2009, 05:18 PM
I would love it if any of my horses went well in my HS snaffle, special ordered for X-Mas last year. Now and then I still give it a try as it seems so sad to have such an expensive bit sitting there. No dice. Plain D French Link ($30), rubber pelham ($40) and jointed loose ring (free). If your mare is happy, spend the money on something else. :)