PDA

View Full Version : adequan for dogs

omare
Dec. 3, 2009, 03:18 PM
Anyone use it for hip problems? I have a dog that is diffcult to get joint supplements into (and down his throat) -no matter the flavor or wrapping, ground up or whatever.

Do I have the dosage correct--it seems you need 1ml per 50 pounds of dog so you would need 2ml for a 100 pound dog and it comes in 5ml vials (5 shots for every 2 vials) ?

(Just trying to figure out if it works and if I can swing it financially for a 100 pound dog for the recommended 8 shots before I call and talk to the vet.)

Thanks in advance.

tarynls
Dec. 3, 2009, 04:16 PM
The correct dosage for a 100lb dog is 2mL. However, with my old lab, we just gave him a monthly injection of Adequan. He had been on Cosequin for years and we bumped him to an NSAID (Deramaxx then Zubrin). The injections helped him more than the Rx NSAIDS, without the risks to the liver. I believe he was on the Adequan for about a year and a half before he passed on.

I found SmartPak to be reasonably priced for the meds (if I recall correctly, it was about $99. for 2 vials....which would make it about $19-$20 per dose for you). Cheaper than the Rx NSAIDS too.

trubandloki
Dec. 3, 2009, 04:35 PM
I just talked to my vet about putting my dog on Adequan. I look forward to reading how it worked for others.

sickofcollege
Dec. 3, 2009, 04:58 PM
Adequan has worked wonders for my 14 y/o lab/chow mix. She was really starting to have trouble with her bottom. Getting up from lying on the floor was difficult and getting onto things was harder (into our super low car, etc.). I have been giving her Rimadyl but it has alot of potential side effects (liver problems, etc.).

I started a month or two ago and can see a MASSIVE difference in my girl. Everyone at the dog park can see it too! (We go daily for play dates and they know her well). She runs like a puppy, wrestles other dogs, isn't as grumpy, and even plays with sticks!!! I love seeing what its done for her! I'm sure it will do great things for your dog!

Note: On really big weather days (ex: goes from being 70 degrees to 20) I'll give her a Rimadyl (50mg-100) depending on how she's doing. I have nothing but hardwood floors (and dog beds) but she lays on the floor and don't want her hurting.

bird4416
Dec. 3, 2009, 05:53 PM
I don't have Adequan/dog experience but I give it to a cat with hip dysplasia and an athritic back. It has worked wonders for her. Cosequin did squat. She shares a vial with my horse once a month. The dosage for the cat is 0.1ml and the horse gets the rest of the 5ml vial.

jherold
Dec. 3, 2009, 06:35 PM
Worked great for both my shepherds. They both lived to 13 1/2. Highly recommend it.

bf1
Dec. 3, 2009, 08:23 PM
I have one of my dogs on it - the generic form. It just went off patent from what the vet told me - about 3 months ago. So a bit more reasonably priced. Altho my dog weighs only 14 lbs (thank goodness). She seems much more comfortable.

belleellis
Dec. 4, 2009, 06:57 PM
According to my mom that is.

My old Corgi was on it the last year of her life. She was almost 15. Hers was all over and some back pain. The doggie adequan was what I had her on (I dont think it is any different then the horse). After getting her loading shots she could get up steps again, run, open the pantry door to steal treats. My mother who was 63 at the time and a retired RN wanted me to stick her in the rump with it! LOL. Mom really did call it the Fountain of Youth! Try it I do not think you will be disappointed. Ours we used a vial one month (2 shots a week for 4 weeks) and then could go about 4 months before doing it all over again.

Guin
Dec. 4, 2009, 07:23 PM
I tried Adequan for my big golden mix this summer, and had no good results at all. I did this through my vet at his recommendation, with the loading dose (3x week/7 weeks), and saw no improvement. It doesn't work for everyone. It was not that expensive and I would have been happy to continue it if it had worked.

godiva13
Dec. 5, 2009, 12:25 PM
Could someone tell how much and how oftern theyused adaquin . Did you use a loading dose?
I have 2 dysplasic dogs about 55 lbs and would like to start them it. They have been on joint supps for quite some time but are going to need something more.
As far as the gereric Was there a big difference in price?
thanks Sonya

Ben and Me
Dec. 5, 2009, 01:04 PM
(I dont think it is any different then the horse).

The only difference between the small animal Adequan and the horse Adequan is that the small animal vials have a preservative in them since the bottles contain multiple doses. Otherwise, same drug :)

belleellis
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:02 PM
Don't hold me to this as it was 4 years ago but from memory it was maybe $65 a vial and that would get me enough to do 2 shots per week for 4 weeks then mine would be good for about 4/5 months. We never let it "wear" all the way off once we tried it and it worked we looked for the small stuff...like not being as alert, quick to get up...so it probably would have lasted even longer had we tried to stretch it. Of course as someone else said all of them are different! Horse didnt do anything with Adequan but MAP-5 OMG!!! That stuff made her feel good.

belleellis
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:03 PM
Thank you! I knew there was a reason I had the dog and not the horse but it has been a while.

Horsegal984
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:12 PM
It has been wonderful for most of our clients who are on it. Overall most have felt that the intial loading dose was a little pricey, but then maintence was very affordable. As with most supplements it takes a while to see results(if you're going to) so it needs to be continued for at least a month or two before deciding if it's working or not. Because the change is often gradual we have found it helpful to measure range of motion before starting therapy and after the loading month, then again about a month later to measure results for owners who are having difficulty seeing them. In most cases ROM was much improved across the board.

As far as generics go, I have not heard of a TRUE generic form, although there are many things our there that are marketed as 'generics' of it. Do a search on the forum obout generic adequan, there was a poster about a month or two ago who's vet was selling her a 'generic' of something and calling it Adequan.

Katherine
Vet Tech

tarynls
Dec. 5, 2009, 10:15 PM
We did not use a loading dose on my Lab. We gave him an injection once a month. That worked wonders for him and he had pretty severe hip and elbow arthritis. Deramaxx and Zubrin (two Rx NSAIDS) really didn't help him that much but the Adequan worked wonders.

Could someone tell how much and how oftern theyused adaquin . Did you use a loading dose?
I have 2 dysplasic dogs about 55 lbs and would like to start them it. They have been on joint supps for quite some time but are going to need something more.
As far as the gereric Was there a big difference in price?
thanks Sonya

godiva13
Dec. 5, 2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the replys

SOTB
Dec. 7, 2009, 02:43 PM
I haven't used it on a dog yet, but it totally changed my cat's life. She could barely walk and after a month on adequan she was almost back to her old self. Just to make sure it was the adequan helping her, we took off of it and two weeks later she was having trouble again. Put her back on it and she's fine again. It was really impressive.

Outyougo
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:58 PM
My dog (rather large Aussie x Big) is responding really well on his 7th shot of 8. He is getting the "canine" version. The vet also thinks a diet will help..I thought that was just fur!

omare
Dec. 8, 2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all the feed back. The vet agreed to give me a prescription--he suggested I should come in for the first shot as he is afraid I might hit the sciatic nerve. My boy is hard to ship in a car now so I am trying to figure out next steps. (Like maybe finding a doggy anatomical drawing that shows where the sciatic nerve runs or finding help to load him up in the car.....hmmm.)

Thanks again --I only regret I did not think of this sooner.

(edited to add--I think I will get him in for a how-to- visit--after reading about nerve damage-he has enough problems without me inflicting more.)

Horsegal984
Dec. 8, 2009, 08:24 PM
The other thing you could do is see if you could have a large animal vet show you how and where to give it. Might cost a little more for a trip fee but if he's that bad in the car could be worthwhile! Also, when ordering online, stick to KV Vet or Fosters and Smith. Pricewise they are usually the same as Pet-Meds with a LOT better reputation and less lawsuits!

Also, have them show you the proper way to give the injection in the epaxial muscles, in case you find out he's a wiggler for his shots, there is a little less risk of hitting major nerve there, although they do tend to feel the needle a touch more.

Hope it helps him(and you) be a little more comfortable!

Katherine
Vet Tech

fitzwilliam
Dec. 8, 2009, 10:24 PM
I had my aged male Lab on Adequan for the last 1 &1/2 years of his life, he had arthritis but was still going for hikes, it definitely made him more comfortable, being a field trials breed Lab he was not one to sit around! I Started his daughter on it when she was 8 since she is a "square" Lab but very active, she is only 10 years young and still going on mellow mountain bike rides and skate skiing, I am a convert, of course my horse has been on Adequen for the past 5 years since he turned 15, he is doing great, moving better than ever (knock on wood), I am a believer for my animals

Cooper
Dec. 9, 2009, 04:45 PM
Although it is labeled for i.m. use, I have always gone sub-cu on advice of my Vet and it works beautifully.

trubandloki
Dec. 9, 2009, 04:46 PM
My vet told me that it was supposed to be given sub-q.

Horsegal984
Dec. 9, 2009, 05:02 PM
It is actually labeled for IM use, but there are more risks associated with IM injections, and it is believed to be absorbed equally as well SQ, so many vets instruct owners to give it that way.

When giving a SQ injection about the worst you can do is hit a skin bleeder and make a bloody spot that looks worse than it is. With IM injections you worry about the volume being given as well as the location of major nerve bundles. Unfortunatly since dogs are smaller than horses so are their muscles, making there less 'error' room before you get too close to nerves.

Katherine
Vet Tech

TrakeGirl
Dec. 9, 2009, 05:15 PM
Good to know about the SQ thing - I have an appt on Saturday and will ask my vet about this. I have never been real happy about giving it to him IM.

It definitely changed my Sheltie's life. He developed severe arthritis in his wrists early in life - by age 3, he was on oral joint supplements and by age 5 - he was in so much pain I thought I was going to have to put him down. Tried several pain meds, but his kidneys/liver couldn't tolerate them. Then I tried Adequan as a last ditch effort. I did the loading dose - I didn't see any difference until about a week AFTER finishing the loading dose. Night/day. Here is a dog that was 3 legged lame and could barely rise, much less jump up on anything - who was now perfectly sound, jumping up on couches, zooming around. Very happy with the product. It has been over 2 years now and he's still going strong. I am able to space injections out every 4 weeks in good weather and do every 3 weeks during the winter.

You can definitely tell if I am late on a dose - will start to limp a little bit. Goes away as soon as he gets his shot. I am a believer and he'll be on it the rest of his life.

My horse is 10 - just started oral joint supplements a few months ago as a preventative for about $20/mo. If he starts showing any signs of stiffness or arthritis that indicates he needs something a little more - bam - he'll instantly go on Adequan. I believe it is around $40/mo to maintain for a horse of his size and I rather spend the money on something I know works.

omare
Dec. 11, 2009, 01:19 PM
size of needle? I wrote it down and promptly lost what the vet said....

(Again thanks for everything including the sub-q suggestions!)

Horsegal984
Dec. 11, 2009, 09:32 PM
You can use either a 22 or 25 gauge needle, although a 22g x 3/4in is probably the easiest to use with least risk of bending. I use 22 on my dogs and 25 on the cats.

Katherine
Vet Tech

SkipHiLad4me
Dec. 14, 2009, 10:57 AM
This has been a very educational thread :yes: I have a 10.5 yr old Heinz 57 dog who unfortunately got some of the worst genetics out of all of her breed mixes :no: She's starting to have a lot of problems with her hips and struggles to get up and down at times now. I recently started her on HylaSport Canine from HorseTech so I'm waiting to see how that does for her but I may need a backup plan. Vet has already suggested Rimadyl but I don't want to go there. Thanks for this information!!