PDA

View Full Version : Gallagher elec fence products

Holly Jeanne
Dec. 3, 2009, 02:05 PM
Anyone use these? How strong is the tape with wear and tear? Any feedback on solar chargers? Other comments?

cssutton
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:18 PM
I have only used the plug in machine with high tensile steel wire.

Mine has been the best I have ever used and I have had electric chargers of one sort or another for 40 years or so.

CSSJR

vineyridge
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:26 PM
I have a Gallagher solar charger, the relatively small one. It's been on consistently for more than three years and the battery is still good. There has never been a minute's trouble with it, and it's not protected at all. I personally think that Gallagher, which is a New Zealand company where electric fencing is very common, is one of the best electric fencing companies around. I've sworn never to buy anything else. :)

I haven't used their tape. I think that HorseGuard makes the best tapes and insulators.

IfWishesWereHorses
Dec. 4, 2009, 02:43 AM
Big thumbs up for Gallagher products. Very very top quality product/company down here.

One of their major export markets (if I remember rightly!) is building electric elephant fencing in africa....

horsepoor
Dec. 4, 2009, 12:31 PM
I've been happy with the Gallagher products I'm using, including a plug-in charger, temporary tape and twine, and insulators. I have found their products seem to be better quality than the other ones they carry at the farm stores around here (Zareba and Red Snapper, I think). For the permanent tape fencing and related hardware, I went with Horseguard because I wanted it in brown -- been really happy with that stuff too.

Holly Jeanne
Dec. 4, 2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks everyone! I have some pretty high winds and want to use the smaller tape. Anyone use Premier products as well?

atr
Dec. 4, 2009, 04:38 PM
I like their tape insulators better than any others I have tried (Gallagher that is.) Simple and effective, and they stand snow load better than any others I have used, including the horseguard ones. As the old ones break, I'm trying to replace them all with the Gallagher ones.

However, I'm a diehard horseguard tape fan--just use the different insulators.

DiablosHalo
Dec. 8, 2009, 09:59 AM
I had two of the big solar charger boxes and they both crapped out after about 14 months. The installation company would not fix/replace and Gallagher wanted nothing to do with me. They are both sitting in the shed useless. That was umpteen hundred dollars down the drain. Replaced with electric boxes from a different company. They've been on 6 years and counting...

horsepoor
Dec. 8, 2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone! I have some pretty high winds and want to use the smaller tape. Anyone use Premier products as well?

I deal with high winds as well and actually think the 2" Horseguard tape fairs better in the wind than the small 1/2" Gallagher tape that I use on temp fencing. The Horseguard is a heavy, but open weave so the wind kind of goes through it where the small tape just whips around more. I haven't tried the Premier stuff, but wanted to mention that. I'm at the end of the Columbia Gorge so we get some incredible winds and in 2+ years, I have yet to repair or replace the Horseguard and it even runs perpindicular to the prevailing winds.

cindylouwho
Dec. 8, 2009, 04:49 PM
I have one of their solar charges. About a week after putting it up, a tree on my fence line was struck by lightning. It burned up my brand new charger. I went back to the feed store to buy another one and they told me to bring it in and they would send it back to the manufacture. I thought there was no chance they covered lightning, but they did. It was repaired and returned to me, no charge. How amazing is that???

Holly Jeanne
Dec. 9, 2009, 11:11 AM
That is pretty amazing!