PDA

View Full Version : *whimper* My mucking muscles are out of shape....

Catersun
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:08 AM
Oy.... I don't remember mucking out three horses worth of poo to be this labor intensive.... but then it has been a while since I"ve had to pick poo daily.

The horses have been home for 9 days. It is wonderful... but man oh man my arms are getting a workout. :) I'm wondering how long it's going ot take me to get back to not thinking much of it.

On another note... we had a nasty storm here last night that took down a dead old tree... sooo YAY that I don't have to cut it down... but Boo that I have to remove it NOW.

an aside.... how do you rewaterproof an oilskin coat??? I discovered yesterday (in the monsoon while changing out blankets and feeding) that my formerly waterproof coat was very NOT waterproof.... a very sad... soggy day it was indeed.

and an even further silly aside... we discovered that the former owners of our farmette had PLUMBED a pipe from the well TO the pond..... I'm really not sure what to make of that... but at least I already have plumbing access when we are ready to run it to the barn.

winfieldfarm
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:23 AM
I hear you on the mucking muscle. I am lucky to have two girls that clean our 20 stall boarding barn for us but occasionally, i have to pitch in. You would think that with all the riding, mucking would be nothing. But it is repetitive. My best advice, stretch your arms and shoulders after every stall, just for a few seconds. Helps from not being able to lift your arms the next day.

As you have your horses home longer, you will develop your own system of efficiency and life will settle into a routine.

And welcome to all the work...trees down, stalls to clean, blah,blah,blah...you will never have the social life you had before. Too much work to do and you'll be too tired to leave the house once you're done each night!

Oilskin? yea, get yourself a rainsuit, like the Gordon's fisherman. Pants and coat. Cheap, waterproof! and easy to replace. In fact, get a few, big for winter, smaller for summer, one in the house, one in the barn.

SLW
Dec. 3, 2009, 11:23 AM
Aleve, in a 200 count bottle, is your mucking friend. Trust me. :)

Sillymoose
Dec. 3, 2009, 02:33 PM
Oh I so know how you feel. I've been away at school for the past year and my poor muscles are non existent now. I just came home for break and got a call to work fill in at my old job. 20 stalls later and I could barely move I was so sore. I'm doing much better now since I'm mucking out our three regularly but it sure was killer that first time.