PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Missouri

outside_line
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:12 AM
Hey everyone... my husband and I will be moving to Missouri this month and I am looking for information on barns/trainers out there.

We do not own horses right now but would like to again in the near-ish future (once we get settled back in and up and running with jobs and life in general!) We have spent the last few months foxhunting and taking lessons and have been enjoying it very much - DH's passion is foxhunting, and he would like to keep working on his cross-country riding skills while we are in Missouri. He is fairly new to riding, I am a lifer.

I am looking for several things - a barn we could possibly board at, a trainer who can work with both of us lesson-wise and possibly horse-shopping wise, and someplace where we can have a lot of fun. Having school horses for the interim until we are ready to purchase our own would be a big bonus.

As far as location - we will be in St. Robert (Fort Leonard Wood area). I believe Springfield is about 90 minutes away to the southwest. St. Louis quite a bit further to the east. We drive about 45 - 50 minutes one way to our current barn and that is working out fine... We could go a little further for someplace great!

I would love to hear any information on the area that you guys have. I think an eventing-centric barn would be best but if you know of any H/J places in the area, please feel free to share. I have been searching the internet and the boards to find any information about the area and haven't found much - hoping it will be COTH to the rescue! Thanks in advance.

outside_line
Dec. 3, 2009, 03:14 PM
No ideas, huh? That's what I was afraid of! Come on guys... anyone???

pwrpfflynn
Dec. 3, 2009, 03:28 PM
I board and ride at Shadowbrook stables. It is about 10 miles north of Springfield. I love it here. My horse gets daily turn out every day except Sunday. There is a big field with some woods containing a creek that you can ride in or 2 areans. 1 indoor & 1 outdoor. Barbara Joyce comes to our barn a couple time a week to teach jumping and dressage. She is really nice and has a website listed under her name. Shadowbrook also has a website.

outside_line
Dec. 3, 2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks - that looks like a very nice facility! I am not thinking that we're going to find anything much closer to St. Robert, so that will definitely go on the list. Glad to hear you really love it. :)

Hannahsmom
Dec. 3, 2009, 04:48 PM
Have you tried the Area IV website?

corgigirl14
Dec. 3, 2009, 05:54 PM
Welcome to the Show-Me State! I live in the Joplin (area near the KS/OK border) and we are surrounded by Rodeo people and lots of MO Foxtrotters here and in the Springfield area.

You might also try the Southwest Missouri Hunter Jumper Association (based in the Springfield area) website at www.smhja.org and look at the links page for some info. They also offer some great schooling shows in the spring/summer/fall. Queeny Park is the main USEA Event in the St. Louis area and Mill Creek at Longview Horse Park and Heritage Park in the Kansas City area. Both of those places also offer cross country schoolings too. Check out the Mid-America Combined Training Association website (under links) at www.macta.info for all the info.

If you are interested in dressage lessons I LOVE my trainer in Mount Vernon, MO (about 30 minutes West of Springfield off of I-44) and the farm she is located at is Taura Farms and their website is www.taurafarms.com. Her name is Claudia Misner and she is originally from Germany and is AWESOME! They also offer boarding at that facility and the care they give horses is outstanding.

Hope this helps! We are kind of on our own out here but the people who ride are great people to be around! If you want any other specific info just PM me.

KimCaps33
Dec. 3, 2009, 08:56 PM
Outside, you were right... not much near Leonard Wood! I was stationed there for two years. There are some H/J barns closer to St Louis, or the ones near Springfield already mentioned, but either way you are looking at a 90 minute drive from the St Bob area :(
The closest recognized event is Queeny Park, http://www.qpee.org/index.html. Maybe some of their volunteers knows of a barn closer to you.
There is a stable on-post.. pretty bare bones, but one of the boarders there (they change all of the time) may know of a good instructor, even if not in Eventing.
Good luck! Say 'hi' to the Ozarks for me! ;)

outside_line
Dec. 4, 2009, 08:23 AM
Hi everyone - thanks for the ideas!

Hannah's Mom - I hadn't tried that one. Had looked through the ICP instructors for the area though - thanks for the idea. There are a few more folks on the Area IV website, maybe one of them will be close! :)

Corgigirl - thanks! We have driven through Joplin a few times - (most locations in MO still require me to use Google maps!) I don't think I had seen the MACTA site yet so I will check it out.

KimCaps33 - Ack! I was afraid of that I've been searching on and off since we found out we were going and haven't really found anything toooooo close. I am going to check out the post stable when we get into town later this month - if it's not too scary we might try to keep horses there and trailer out for lessons. I also found a couple of western/pleasure places that look nice - might board at one of those and trailer out... it's a work in progress!

We will definitely give the Ozarks a shout for you!

Geeka
Dec. 6, 2009, 01:18 AM
I'm going to school in Rolla. I boarded at Dry Creek Ranch (http://drycreekranchandstables.com/), mostly for the turnout. The owner's a character but a good guy, board is cheap, and oh my god the turnout. There's no ring, no lessons, no school horses. You might try calling Larry the owner, he knows everybody.

There's Bettina Guignon. She's a hunter trainer, between Salem and Rolla. She doesn't have a website, but here's an ad (http://shopping.rollanet.org/category/393/Horses/listings/507452/lessons-training-boardingtrimming.html).

Other than that I hear there's two dressage barns near/in Rolla. One is run by a Reba Bryson. The other one is called Corinth Valley. But other than that, I don't know anything about them.

Good luck!

tullio
Dec. 6, 2009, 08:25 AM
Geeka - thank you!!! I had found Dry Creek's website and thought the turnout looked amazing. It looked like a nice place to keep a horse even if it had none of the other things I was looking for (ring, trainer, etc) - glad to hear you liked it. I can be flexible on the rest but if we do become horse owners again, obviously a great place for ponies to live is the priority!

I will keep those names and be on the lookout when we get there. I like your "center of everything/middle of nowhere" line :lol: Thanks!

(oops - did not realize I had switched names - O_L was DH's screenname when he started using COTH... and I had been using his PC! Same two Missouri-bound people though!)

archieflies
Dec. 6, 2009, 08:58 AM
I don't have any input on stables, but I can say you'll love it! We have tons of family in the Springfield area, and I am so sad we're not getting to go for Christmas this year!!

abrownhorse
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:10 AM
Just wanted to chime in to welcome you to Missouri! Although nothing is very close, everything is a pretty easy drive...once you get used to logging some hours and bump up your cell phone minutes so you can catch up with friends while you are on the road!

Lacey (corgigirl) had some great recommendations (www.macta.info, www.usea4.org). I'd also suggest joining the Area IV Adult Riders program. You can read more about it on the Area IV website. We have a nice little chat group that will really open up some new options for you. You can also contact the Area IV Adult Rider Coordinator, Kathy Kerns. adultriders@usea4.org She is sorta-kinda-up your way.

We have a tiny group of eventing folks down here by Springfield and we occasionally get together for impromptu jump schools at my farm. We'd love to have you join us! It's a low-key, relaxed, social environment where we help each other out. It's always nice to have eyes on the ground to watch...and pick up those poles!

Welcome!

Cynthia

ksbadger
Dec. 9, 2009, 09:19 PM
I beleive you'll find that Kathy Kearns, the Area IV Adult Rider Coordinator, actually works at Fort Leonard Wood.

For hunting, the closest may be Coal Valley just over the border in Kansas - also with a few eventing members.

Welcome to Area IV!