PDA

View Full Version : Mrs. Francis G. Rust

AnotherRound
Dec. 3, 2009, 08:56 AM
My mare, Here's Suds (1963) was bred by Mrs. Francis G. Rust. Does anyone here know the name and know anything about the farm and their breeding endeavors? Very curious about Suds' history. She was by Inyureye out of Ambitious Kate.

Barnfairy
Dec. 3, 2009, 01:09 PM
A little creative googling turned up the following:

Honolulu Star obits, April 11, 2001 (http://archives.starbulletin.com/2001/04/11/news/obits.html)

Sylvia Rae Rust, 64, of Huelo, Maui, a self-employed rancher, died Thursday at home under hospice care. She was born in Virginia. She is survived by husband Francis G., stepdaughters Jennifer Carothers and Cynthia Westberg, and four grandchildren. No services. Memorial donations suggested to Hospice of Maui or the American Cancer Society.

and also that prior to Here's Suds, the Rusts bred at least one Arabian (http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/tracing-pedigree-line-146809.html#post2101820) as well.

But perhaps you already knew that.

Google is stalker good. :uhoh:

Glimmerglass
Dec. 3, 2009, 01:25 PM
A little creative googling turned up the following:

I wouldn't know Mr or the late Mrs. from adam, but as Barnfairy did as well even the most simple google search turns up stuff (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLG_enUS314US272&q=%22Halali+Arabians%22)

Mr. Rust's farm is listed as Halali Arabians (http://designarchives.aiga.org/index.html?s1=2|s2=1|eid=6480). He is, for filed political contributions, listed as being in Feather Falls, CA 95940. Although a 2009 nomination of their sire "Moscato (AHR)" lists a Walnut Creek, CA locale.

Looks like the farm was cited in the book "If Only They Could Talk: The Miracles of Spring Farm" (http://books.google.com/books?id=McgQzYpeiowC&pg=PA66&lpg=PA66&dq=rust++%22halali+arabians%22&source=bl&ots=tWTlTWtQI4&sig=_bvdY3jpFXhQjmNHrjUVppjjyl8&hl=en&ei=tQAYS7DeJ82-lAevtu3qAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAw)

Barnfairy
Dec. 3, 2009, 01:35 PM
This thread scares even me a little bit.

Glimmerglass
Dec. 3, 2009, 02:06 PM
This thread scares even me a little bit.

What is more spooky is the Google van roaming America and snapping street views - when I plugged in my address in via their mapping application I could see my car parked in front of my residence!

KentuckyTBs
Dec. 3, 2009, 02:45 PM
Glimmerglass- I have to agree with you about the creepy google earth street views! I'm sorry, but the whole wide world doesn't need to know my house, my cars (license plates and all!), any of my animals, etc. Heck, haven't some people even been contacting google about photos of themselves on there? I wouldn't want that either. Creepy. I don't want stalkers knowing where I live, what my house looks like, what my car looks like, etc...

Then again, our SSN's are supposed to be "kept safe", yet you need to enter it for pretty much EVERYTHING. How is that safe?!

LOL Anyway back to the original post...

Jessi P
Dec. 3, 2009, 03:40 PM
Just for grins and giggles I am going to PM you all of the foals out of your mare's dam. One was a La. bred stakes winner. :winkgrin:

Calamber
Dec. 3, 2009, 08:20 PM
That Rust family is likely the one that was very prominent in early Loudoun County history as the library in Leesburg is the Rust Library, that entire large tract of land that also includes the very nice community/gym center was their farm. Probably could find a bit about them in a non-spooky way in the history of the county.

furlong47
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:12 PM
Glimmerglass- I have to agree with you about the creepy google earth street views! I'm sorry, but the whole wide world doesn't need to know my house, my cars (license plates and all!), any of my animals, etc. Heck, haven't some people even been contacting google about photos of themselves on there? I wouldn't want that either. Creepy. I don't want stalkers knowing where I live, what my house looks like, what my car looks like, etc...

Then again, our SSN's are supposed to be "kept safe", yet you need to enter it for pretty much EVERYTHING. How is that safe?!

LOL Anyway back to the original post...

Google blurs faces and license plates now in the street view images. However, there are so many things that are public record and now available online. Many counties have their tax assessment and GIS data online. It is very easy to find out where someone lives, what other property they own, how much they paid for it, and in some cases even see photos and a floor plan of their house.

Glimmerglass
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:45 AM
However, there are so many things that are public record and now available online. Many counties have their tax assessment and GIS data online.

The floor plans and photos are too much. However you are correct that real estate ownership, assessment, and tax records have always been a matter of public record so its hard to complain about it getting more accessible. It was only a matter of time that the pain of going down to the tax offices would be eased by on-line searches.

That said it is still was irksome when I read a small article citing my wife and I buying our place for x, only because the former owner is a partner in such and such law firm.

Anyhow back to the OP and hopefully the Rust information was of use.

Ambitious Kate
Dec. 25, 2013, 11:36 AM
I never thanked you folks for the kind efforts of finding out a bit about Mrs. Rust - the information is very dear to me. I was lucky to find the girl I sold Suds to, while I was waiting in line for the bathroom at a horse show. Babbled to her about my old mare I had as a teen, and she said "Suds was my horse" and I said "Suds was my horse!" and turned out Suds had taken her to the Medal Maclays. Made me feel so great to know she had such a good life after I sold her, and I was also told that after Donna had her, she was bought by and older woman who showed her AO hunter and retired her to her Fairfield CT farm, where she dined on lush grass in white fenced rolling fields to the end of her days. Just a few days ago, I spoke with Jane Dow at Westbrook Hunt Club who had Suds there when she was sold to Donna, the girl who had her after me, (I sold her when the horse was 11, I was 15, Donna bought her as an 11 yo girl) and also had some fondn memories of a great jumper, 17h liver chestnut mare. Donna's dad loved Suds and her breeding so much, (Suds could not have any more babies because of a bad birth at age 7) he found a half sister of her dam's and bought and bred her).

Jessi P, I don't think I ever got the PM about the other horses Ambitious Kate threw, altough I did know she had some very nice babies.

What a relief to know the good history of my first horse! But this info can now go into my files with a bit of history of what was a dear dear horse to me. Thanks again!

Ambitious Kate
Dec. 25, 2013, 11:41 AM
I realize this is an old old thread, but I never thanked you folks for the kind efforts of finding out a bit about Mrs. Rust - the information is very dear to me. I was lucky to find the girl I sold Suds to, while I was waiting in line for the bathroom at a horse show. Babbled to her about my old mare I had as a teen, and she said "Suds was my horse" and I said "Suds was my horse!" and turned out Suds had taken her to the Medal Maclays. Made me feel so great to know she had such a good life after I sold her, and I was also told that after Donna had her, she was bought by and older woman who showed her AO hunter and retired her to her Fairfield CT farm, where she dined on lush grass in white fenced rolling fields to the end of her days. Just a few days ago, I spoke with Jane Dow at Westbrook Hunt Club who had Suds there when she was sold to Donna, the girl who had her after me, (I sold her when the horse was 11, I was 15, Donna bought her as an 11 yo girl) and also had some fondn memories of a great jumper, 17h liver chestnut mare. What a relief to know the good history of my first horse! But this info can now go into my files with a bit of history of what was a dear dear horse to me. Thanks again!

Jessi P
Jan. 3, 2014, 10:47 AM
AmbitiousKate - I actually still had that sent PM in my folder 3 years later lol! What are the odds? I sent it to AnotherRound the first time - sorry - just resent it to Ambitious Kate.

Happy New Year!