PDA

View Full Version : What brand of studs?

Dapple Dawn Farm
Dec. 3, 2009, 08:51 AM
I've not used studs for many years but my current guy needs them since he's not the most balanced horse and being off the track has issues that warrant the use of studs. Looking in the catalogs, I see studs ranging in price from .95 to almost $5.00 per stud. Any recommendations on what kind to use and what warrants a $5.00 stud?

klmck63
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:40 AM
I personally just buy the cheapest ones. I've seen both in person, and couldn't really see enough of a difference to justify the price. I'm sure there's some sort of fancy science or something behind them, but the plain ones seem to work just fine. And that way you can buy lots for different occasions without breaking the bank.

Dapple Dawn Farm
Dec. 3, 2009, 11:07 AM
That's what I was thinking too but I was just wondering if there was significant technology/improvement to justify the price difference...it looks like there may not be.

eclipse
Dec. 3, 2009, 06:46 PM
I just buy the cheapest! From what I've seen, the most expensive ones are in name only! $1 for say "I'm not a high-felutin big name brand" or $5.00 for "all the big-wigs use me"...I'll buy the cheapo one every time! :lol:

CatchMeIfUCan
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:00 PM
As an eventer who uses studs all the time, I buy the cheapest ones I can find and haven't had a problem in 10 years. Just make sure you clean then really well after use and they will last forever.

Some of the more expensive studs I have run in to are ones that are made for a certain "system". I think one is maybe called PoP or something. If you just get an adjustable wrench you shouldn't have any problems and don't have to buy the whole expensive "system".