PDA

View Full Version : tying up while racing

Grizzleycheddar
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:15 AM
Just yesterday we we received a race mare who ties up while racing. We are still interested in racing her as she is only 3. any suggestions on what to give her. That you can race on. Thanks so much.

lizajane09
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:49 AM
-Vitamin E/Selenium
-Robaxin (methocarbamol) 2 days out
-less Lasix if possible

Laurierace
Dec. 3, 2009, 08:29 AM
B1 and calcium at lasix time. Baking soda in the feed everyda, just a tablespoon or so. I also give reserpine since the quieter you can keep them, the better. I had one filly who did not respond to reserpine so she got ace everyday to train and once we got close to race day she got a tiny bit of dormosedan.

Acertainsmile
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:26 AM
I've used this and had good results!

http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=1&pf_id=11647

outofthepocket
Dec. 3, 2009, 05:25 PM
I use Tie Free 24 for tying up. I have used it for years and had great results. I recently used a new Tie Free called TMC, for a horse who would get so stressed he would tie up. I used this one because it have B viatmins to help with the nerves, alot of amino acids, and electrolytes. I have great results with these supplements and feed them on a daily basis.

Calamber
Dec. 3, 2009, 08:28 PM
I would definitely not recommend using prophylactic sedatives or painkillers for horses that tie up as they are already a bit compromised as far as the liver metabolizing muscle during the episodes. No comment using acepromazine during training. Dormosedan or reserpine both affect the central nervous system and are very hard on the horse who has to utilize their cardiovascular system in such a strenuous manner. If the horse was that bad I would definitely not train it to race until the reasons for the episodes were better understood. There are a couple of different reasons for tying up, what were the circumstances and what is your feeding regimen?

NancyM
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:31 AM
Added to several of the possible ideas in above posts is DMG dimethylglycine. It's cheap, added to feed. Nutricutical, doesn't test. "Improves muscle function". It is a natural occuring compound in the Kreb's Cycle, but other than that, I don't know how or why it works, but it does help with tie up cases sometimes.

But the most important thing is to find out WHY the horse is tying up, and treat that underlaying cause of the problem. Can be just nerves (psychological problem), or metabolic inbalance, or can be related to soreness or injury somewhere else in the body shifting the way the horse uses his body and muscles. Whatever the reason, if there is muscle damage done with previous tie up episodes, it does take some time for this to heal before racing again. So there may be problems other than the tying up that need to be addressed, as well as the tie up. Sometimes the recovery from tying up will take months, depends on how bad the tie up was. Race again too early, or when not ready, and the horse ties up again, making the situation worse, doing further muscle damage. After tying up a few times, the horse learns to expect the pain, raises stress levels and tension, and is more likely to tie up again, so it all becomes a vicious cycle, which can be difficult to break. Atravet works well for this because it lowers the stress and tension levels, and opens blood vessels in the muscles for better blood flow. By using low levels of atravet during training, the horse may experience training without tying up, which is what starts him/her on the road to recovery, a good experience related to physicial exercise.

With a horse who has had multiple tying up episodes during racing, enough to prompt her previous owners to give up with her, probably a good option would be to turn this horse out for a while, let her down in condition, let things heal, let her brain unwind, relax. Then start rehab training, and see if you can get her to peak racing fitness again without these problems next year sometime. A quick fix often does not work well.

halo
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:51 AM
Also get her off sweet feed and corn. Try and find a beet pulp based feed with little or no molasses and corn, also feed whole oats and alfalfa. Ive been thru this already with a couple of fillies, and the feed change was enough to stop the tying up.