PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use U-7?

AlexMakowski
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:12 PM
Just put a OTTB on it who has been a hardkeeper, anixious, and spooky. Has anyone used it? How long did it take to see results, ect? Im hoping it will have taken effect by spring. haha. BTW I suspect, although the money is not there to actually confirm via scope. Anyway, thanks! Happy Holidays!

TXnGA
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:27 PM
have you ever tried ulcergard or gastrogard? they are the best proven ulcer meds on the market. i have not tried u-7 because I like the results i get with ulcergard as a preventative before shows.

but on another note. i had my horse scoped twice this year, once for ulcers and once for a sinus infection. he is a very high strung, nervous, anxious horse and very very hard keeper. the holistic vet was positive he had ulcers but after scoping, no ulcers, no indications of ever having ulcers. that is just the way he is.

maxxtrot
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:02 PM
i have been using it since 2005 on a horse of mine that had colic surgery.i love it, it works for my guy. have tried others on it, some it helps more than others.but that is with any supplememt.you might see results in a couple of weeks, it might be longer, depends on how bad your guys stomach is. but good luck with him :)

Beam Me Up
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:36 PM
I had a horse that was the poster child for ulcers--
OTTB, neurotic, aggressive, unhappy on the ground and under saddle.

I did try U-7, then I went to Aloe Vera juice which my vet felt would be give the same results and is much cheaper (it's at Walmart).

No improvement, finally scoped and had a similar experience to TX:

but on another note. i had my horse scoped twice this year, once for ulcers and once for a sinus infection. he is a very high strung, nervous, anxious horse and very very hard keeper. the holistic vet was positive he had ulcers but after scoping, no ulcers, no indications of ever having ulcers. that is just the way he is.

No ulcers at all.

FWIW the scope isn't that bad--$125 I think it was.

So I don't know if it works . . .

lizajane09
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:45 PM

Don't forget, though, that the scope is only so long. There are portions of the gut where it can't reach and where it is possible for the horse to develop ulcers. Not saying your horse does have ulcers - just that the scope isn't quite the 100% definitive test we'd like it to be! :) Great for gastic/ upper G.I. tract ulcers, but not always ALL ulcers.

OP, I haven't tried U-7; however, there is a significant amount of research out there to support the efficacy of Gastrogard and Ulcergard if you were interested in trying those, or discussing with your vet how they're similar to/different from the U-7.

LKF
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:54 AM
U-7 is a good and affordable product. The horses love the taste. It's always best to scope the horse first to know what you're dealing with and then you can make an educated decision.

Eventer55
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:35 AM
we did not scope as my mare had all the signs and yes, you may not see the ulcers it does not mean they aren't there, very important.

after 30 days of ulcergard and a totally different horse, my vet put her on U7. She's been on it for 3 yrs. It's prevebtative, not a cure though. no further probs, but also she's on ulcergard when travelling.

i'm typing with one hand (surgery ) sorry for mistakes.

FrittSkritt
Dec. 3, 2009, 11:51 AM
G.U.T. is also a good choice -- slightly cheaper than U7, and easier to feed (powder vs. liquid). U7 does come in a powder form, but it's kind of hard to find unless you're using SmartPaks.

IFG
Dec. 3, 2009, 11:55 AM
I use U-7 when I travel with my horse and when the weather changes. It seems to cut down on his tendency to mild gas colic when the weather gets hot in the autumn (like today).

I also give it when I bute.

Eventer55
Dec. 3, 2009, 12:00 PM
Ingredients: U7

Honey powder, corn gluten, aloe vera, cabbage powder, Vitamin C, MSM, carrot powder, cinnamon, apple pectin, grape seed extract, slippery elm, brewer's yeast, licorice powder, zinc glutonate, flowering tops of Anthemis nobilis L., xanthan gum, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, citric acid, silica gel, sodium benzoate.

Guaranteed Analysis G.U.T

IngredientPer ServingPer PoundLactobacillus Acidophilus1.5 billion CFU Lactobacillus Lactis1.5 billion CFU Magnesium Silicate2400 mg Hydrolyzed Collagen3400 mg Mannose2600 mg Glycine750 mg L-Glutamine525 mg Deglycyrrhized Licorice Powder525 mg Gamma Oryzanol150 mg Sodium Copper Chlorophyllin150 mg

Ingredients:

Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillis Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Malto Dextrin, Natural and Artificial Flavors.

Here's a brief comp. GUT is substantially cheaper, both are very different.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 3, 2009, 12:30 PM
I've used U-7 in the past...good product but I wouldn't expect it to cure an ulcery horse. It is just a preventative supportive type of supplement. Mine are on TractGuard right now instead of U-7....I like it better because it is pelleted. A few of my horses were leaving the U-7 powder....and the liquid is too messy for my boarding situation. Different product but also a supportive one.

If I think they have ulcers....they get Ulcer guard or gastroguard. They get Ulcerguard/gastroguard when competing and traveling...on top of what ever gut supplement they are getting.

purplnurpl
Dec. 3, 2009, 01:05 PM
plain slippery elm seems to give me better results.
a tbsp a day and it's only 15-20 bucks a month.

right now I'm usuing Horsetechs gut product that has slippery elm in it. but it's a little more pricey.

I'm more into the powders. liquid is gross and sticky.

OneMoreForTheRoad
Dec. 3, 2009, 01:20 PM
I have another one of those high-maintenance OTTBs and I have him on Natural Plan stomach soother. By far the cheapest method and it worked wonders within the first week. He was a stall walker and rarely finished his food but now he licks his bowl clean every feeding and only stall walks if he's in 24/7 (which is only at shows).

www.stomachsoother.com
It's 32 doses for $26 but I buy it by the case which is $125 and treats one horse for 92 days.