PDA

View Full Version : When you can't ride..

Elevation15
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:08 PM
Right now, I'm in college and can't ride as much as I wish I could. What are things I can practice or do when I can't be in the saddle?

Read? Watch videos? Stretch my heels on a step? Visualize? Count strides between telephone poles?

Share your favorite ways to stay horsey when you can't be on a horse!

hntrjmprpro45
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:56 PM
I love reading and watching videos. If you are a visual and conceptual learner like me then these tools will help a lot. You can watch DVDs of the big horse shows (WIHS, Olympics, etc) or there are the hunter clinic videos and jumper clinic videos. If you watch the clinic videos I would suggest becoming a member of their website (not sure what the monthly fee is but if I remember correctly you can watch as many videos as you want) rather than buying the DVDs individually. The website is showjumperclinic.com . Also, if you are in college you should stop by your library and see what horse books they have. When I was in college my library kept a huge collection of horse books ranging from old classics (jumping style books from the 40's/50's) to some of the new books out by GM, Geoff Teal, Anne Kursinski, etc. They also had an extensive collection of past horse magazines (like 15 years of Practical horseman). Not only can you learn a lot but its a lot of fun to learn the history of our sport, past trainers, and past styles. Plus its free since its the library (well you are paying your tuition...)

Void
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:33 PM
Work out. When I couldn't ride much I started running and lifting weights. Abductor machine was awesome, kept my legs tight.

Also watched a lot of courses, visualized perfect courses, and for some weird reason when I'm walking and driving I always feel a rhythm that's equine hahaha.