PDA

View Full Version : What color would you paint/stain these doors?

dmalbone
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:07 PM
It's really my last priority and probably won't end up getting done until spring, but I want a plan so I can at least picture it. For those with dutch doors, what color are the insides of yours? Do they match the stall wood on the inside or your barn on the outside. It's nothing life altering, but they look so unfinished when they're open.

Here are some pics:
stall- http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8HhPXVaZn9M/SxcMtIbdGNI/AAAAAAAAAF4/nYInZFNleng/s1600-h/3-20+125.jpg

outside of barn- http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cf33b3127ccef8cdf4254b8c00000030O01Aas3DRq4asQ e3nwQ/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Should also add... it was rainy today and the doors were closed, so the wood's not that dark. Plus, eventually we're hoping to finish the walls all the way up or have a ceiling.

mybeau1999
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:13 AM
I know what you mean... our's are not painted on the inside and they do a little funny when they're open.

It's really your choice - but if you end up painting them I would go with white. The barn where I boarded was white with red trim outside and the inside of the dutch doors were white, it looked nice and finished when everything was open.

MistyBlue
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:26 AM
The white/cream would look nice but dutch doors in stalls get filthy on the inside over time. Nose wiping, licking, dribbling, etc...on white that stuff shows up an awful lot.
It would also look nice if you painted the interior of the doors the same dark color as your outside trim. That color hides more dirt.

Kate66
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:31 AM
I think I would just stain them the dark colour that your walls are. Nice barn!

dmalbone
Dec. 3, 2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks. I definitely don't think I want to do white because that's just more to have to scrub. The dark stain would hide it well (which is why I picked it for the stalls! :D) but I was just afraid it would look like a weird, big, black blob when the top door was open. We'll probably keep the tops open all the time and both open only in the worst weather for them to come back in. Plus, the backs of the doors are plywood and it takes the stain so much darker. I like the dk. grey idea. I had also thought about the color of the barn siding since the door would blend in with the barn when it was open, but I figured that would be too light also.

scpezold
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:21 PM
Assuming the upper door will be open most of the time I would say go with the darker trim color. If it will be closed most of the time then just stain it.
You could always faux paint crossbucks on the inside to match the other side but that might be a little extreme.

I am in the barn planning phase now and for some reason it strums my nerves to see a dutch door open and have plain wood exposed or it not match the outside of the barn.

Actually, I would probably be the one that would faux paint the crossbucks which is why with this being one of THE BIGGEST decisions in my barn planning process I do not have a barn standing before me today:lol:

goodhors
Dec. 4, 2009, 12:05 AM
I would color the outside doors the same color as barn siding, so they are pretty invisible when swung open. You would have a lot of contrasts to look at on the barn, if you go with stall stain color on door interior swung open, plus dark space where door is open. Even worse with the lighter colors on outside walls, when door is swung open.

Grey paint won't be that noticable inside the barn, if outside doors are swung open 90% of the time. Grey is a nice color, but sure won't show dirt like whites, or attract flies as badly. Anything white inside the barns here, seems to get really fly-specked.

I truly hate dutch doors. Either open the door or close the door, so horse is not hanging out, leaning on the gate, ripping the latches or hinges off, chewing on them. People spend an awful lot of time fixing those doors. A sliding outside door would stay the same look on the barn, open or closed, just out of the way for horses exiting.

Those outside doors are very pretty, enjoy them while they still look so nice! Congrats on the new barn.

dmalbone
Dec. 4, 2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks, I had actually thought about painting or even making crossbucks on the inside!

I truly hate dutch doors. Either open the door or close the door, so horse is not hanging out, leaning on the gate, ripping the latches or hinges off, chewing on them. People spend an awful lot of time fixing those doors. A sliding outside door would stay the same look on the barn, open or closed, just out of the way for horses exiting.

Thanks, but sliding doors don't work that great in my situation. The point of them IS to hang their heads out! I would love to have the land and weather to leave my horses out 24/7 (I would NEVER have any grass and would have mud lots permanently) but leaving the top door open while the bottom one is closed is great for the horses to still get some fresh air when they can't go out. Especially with my copd horse he really needs to be able to go out 24/7, but since he can't having a half door to hang his head out is ideal. They're wonderful ventilation so the occasional maintenance is worth it. They come in at night and it seems like such a waste to close a whole full length door when you can leave 1/2 open!

trubandloki
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:29 AM
We replaced the metal on the bottom of the wall with thick plywood (so no kicking risk with the metal siding) and painted it and the inside of the doors to match the trim.

Jennwarr84
Dec. 4, 2009, 10:41 AM
We have sliding doors but our horses can hang their heads out too.

http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/45587/2983323170102692957S500x500Q85.jpg