PDA

View Full Version : training a pony to stop

LemonMagic
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:01 PM
So, i know that this may be a bad idea, however, I've been told that i should teach the pony I'm riding to halt when the reins are dropped and the body weight it thrown froward. He is used exclusively for walk/trot and is ridden by four year old twins after a "big kid" rides him. Any ideas are welcomed!!:)
TIA

eqrider1234
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:51 PM
i would do it in pieces, like teach him if you drop the reins to stop and teach him if you throw yourself on his neck or down or whatever to stop and then try doing them together.

HowDoILook
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:58 PM
I understand the concept of why you would want to do this, and I definatly say train it in pieces. But I keep getting a horrible picture of a small kid learning to jump, and after landing on the ponys neck. How like every kids does it a few times when they learn to jump. And pony just stopping and kid going toppling down to the ground.

On the other hand, we have a lipizan mare at our barn who is trained to stop dead when you drop your stirrups and reins. Or if you go off balance she stops.

hellerkm
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:23 PM
AS the mother of a 6 yr old who rides ponies this might worry me. As my child is learning to canter and jump there are times when she rocks forward or "jumps ahead" of her pony. If the pony stopped dead at the slightest movement forward the kid will fly over the ponies ears!! Please think carefully before you put brakes like this on a pony.

rwh
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:30 PM
Can't you just put good voice commands on the pony so that if either the kid or trainer says "Woah!" the pony will stop in an emergency?

SkipChange
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:40 PM
Can't you just put good voice commands on the pony so that if either the kid or trainer says "Woah!" the pony will stop in an emergency?

I would do that.

My last project pony would stop if you laid on her neck or acted off balance...was terribly frustrating as she was aimed to be a games pony. I actually taught her to CONTINUE if someone was laying on her neck, off balance, or vaulting off. I realize your goals are different, but I would still just stick to voice commands. A horse with good voice commands is such fun to ride.

M. O'Connor
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:45 PM
Just keep him on a lead/longe, and use voice commands.

IME, more little kids that size get wobbly when ponies stop than when they keep on going. Sudden stops and the kids will go flying over his head.

Plus, it will spoil the pony for jumping, as someone has said.

Your orignal thought, "it might be a bad idea," is probably right.

Marimee2
Dec. 3, 2009, 12:09 PM
I did put voice command in my pony and I'm glad that I did. He knows walk/trot/canter and Whoa as well as Over. The "Canter" command is very helpful when my 9 year old can't get him to go.
FYI, I didn't just teach him the words, I say his name first, then the command. That way he doesn't just Canter when someone says so!!!!

hellerkm
Dec. 3, 2009, 12:17 PM
I did put voice command in my pony and I'm glad that I did. He knows walk/trot/canter and Whoa as well as Over. The "Canter" command is very helpful when my 9 year old can't get him to go.
FYI, I didn't just teach him the words, I say his name first, then the command. That way he doesn't just Canter when someone says so!!!!\
that is a great idea I was going to suggest voice commands but was worried about others in the ring saying a word and the pony cantering off with a 4 yr old :eek::eek: that would NOT be good LOL!!!!

Rescue_Rider9
Dec. 3, 2009, 12:19 PM
I am not sure if it is a good idea for a kid that young, but my pony that I learned on would stop if I jumped ahead or my weight shifted he would stop. Taught me to sit up and weight.. I was also 11 when I was learning to jump and i had been riding since before I can remember... just not jumping. I still have him and when ever I get the chance I like to hop on him and jump to see if I have gone back to my old habbits. He corrects me and I love him for it!

But for now I would probably stick with the whoa command. These girls are really young...

findeight
Dec. 3, 2009, 12:21 PM
Unless you want the novice kid rider to do a face plant, possibly into a jump? Bad idea, they pitch forward on the neck and drop the reins and he stops? Off head first right in front of Pony. No chance.

But you are on the right track in thinking an emergency brake is a good idea. But do it the traditional way.

Get him "cowboy" broke to the word "whoa" when it is spoken loudly and firmly. Start on the ground and go to under saddle-if "WHOA" is loudly spoken or shouted, they freeze. If you also use a word like "whhhhooooo" or "eeeeezzzzzeeee" in a softer, soothing tone, they can learn it means slow down or settle and relax.

Amazing how many lesson veteran Ponies and horses listen, and respond, to the trainers spoken, or shouted, commands and pretty much put up with contradiction from the beginner rider.;)

Hot Soup
Dec. 3, 2009, 12:34 PM
So, i know that this may be a bad idea, however, I've been told that i should teach the pony I'm riding to halt when the reins are dropped and the body weight it thrown froward. He is used exclusively for walk/trot and is ridden by four year old twins after a "big kid" rides him. Any ideas are welcomed!!:)
TIA

Agreeing with others.

If your body is being thrown forward then the horse stopping at that instant will throw your body even further forward and MORE off-balance.

It's physics!

llsc
Dec. 3, 2009, 01:39 PM
Unless you want the novice kid rider to do a face plant, possibly into a jump? Bad idea, they pitch forward on the neck and drop the reins and he stops? Off head first right in front of Pony. No chance.

But you are on the right track in thinking an emergency brake is a good idea. But do it the traditional way.

Get him "cowboy" broke to the word "whoa" when it is spoken loudly and firmly. Start on the ground and go to under saddle-if "WHOA" is loudly spoken or shouted, they freeze. If you also use a word like "whhhhooooo" or "eeeeezzzzzeeee" in a softer, soothing tone, they can learn it means slow down or settle and relax.

Amazing how many lesson veteran Ponies and horses listen, and respond, to the trainers spoken, or shouted, commands and pretty much put up with contradiction from the beginner rider.;)

Yep! Right on. Best way to do it.

My trainer when I was a kid had a schoolie who was so perfectly broke to voice commands that anyone could ride. You had to say his name first for him to obey which was awesome, because he wouldn't take off at the canter if the trainer said canter to the other students. When he said, "Appy, canter." The horse would step right off.

hellerkm
Dec. 3, 2009, 02:46 PM
Yep! Right on. Best way to do it.

My trainer when I was a kid had a schoolie who was so perfectly broke to voice commands that anyone could ride. You had to say his name first for him to obey which was awesome, because he wouldn't take off at the canter if the trainer said canter to the other students. When he said, "Appy, canter." The horse would step right off.

I want to teach bug to do this LOL!!! I bet its hard and takes forever to accomplish aye???

findeight
Dec. 3, 2009, 02:56 PM
I want to teach bug to do this LOL!!! I bet its hard and takes forever to accomplish aye???

Nope. It doesn't. Lets refer to it as a "strong halt". It can also be called the freezer stop, emergency brake or throwing out the anchor:lol:.

Couple of weeks starting with just the WHOA and halting that instant on the lead. Graduating to under saddle and starting with a strong halt at the walk then to the other gaits. It is easier to work the strong halt after the horse has already gotten a little tired and wants to halt and don't overdo it or it backfires.

The trick is consistency-everybody who handles him need to understand that WHOA loudly and firmly means freeze and insist the horse freezes when they hear it. Everybody must ONLY say WHOA when they mean it and never say it if they don't. Use "whhhooooo" or "eeeezzzzeeee" is a soft voice for slowing or relaxing.

It must be adhered to leading, grooming, tacking up, mounting and dismounting (where it can save your life) and by any rider all the time.

It's not rocket science and they are not that dumb. be consistent and you will have the basic strong halt in a couple of weeks. It gets stronger over time IF, and only if, you are consistent in application and enforcement.

llsc
Dec. 3, 2009, 05:08 PM
Nope. It doesn't. Lets refer to it as a "strong halt". It can also be called the freezer stop, emergency brake or throwing out the anchor:lol:.

Couple of weeks starting with just the WHOA and halting that instant on the lead. Graduating to under saddle and starting with a strong halt at the walk then to the other gaits. It is easier to work the strong halt after the horse has already gotten a little tired and wants to halt and don't overdo it or it backfires.

The trick is consistency-everybody who handles him need to understand that WHOA loudly and firmly means freeze and insist the horse freezes when they hear it. Everybody must ONLY say WHOA when they mean it and never say it if they don't. Use "whhhooooo" or "eeeezzzzeeee" is a soft voice for slowing or relaxing.

It must be adhered to leading, grooming, tacking up, mounting and dismounting (where it can save your life) and by any rider all the time.

It's not rocket science and they are not that dumb. be consistent and you will have the basic strong halt in a couple of weeks. It gets stronger over time IF, and only if, you are consistent in application and enforcement.

I think she means teaching the horse voice commands for walk, trot, canter using it's name.

I would think it's not that hard. You just start by teaching it on the lunge line and then graduate to it undersaddle. I don't think Sarah would need it, since she knows and can use her aids, but it might be nice for Lu Lu.

hellerkm
Dec. 3, 2009, 06:35 PM
I think she means teaching the horse voice commands for walk, trot, canter using it's name.

I would think it's not that hard. You just start by teaching it on the lunge line and then graduate to it undersaddle. I don't think Sarah would need it, since she knows and can use her aids, but it might be nice for Lu Lu.

Can I tell bug to canter when Lulu gets on?? Just kidding but yes I think it would be a cool thing to try, depending on what we decide to do with bug, mary is coming up tomorrow to ride and watch Sarah ride both ponies so we will see what happens.

LemonMagic
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:41 PM
Thank you for all of your replies!
Yeah, I rethought it and i think voice commands are the way to go. Thank you!! :)

Dec. 3, 2009, 10:48 PM
I taught one to slow down when you hugged her neck, it would take about 50' for her to come to a complete stop if the kid didn't sit back in the saddle. Sudden stop or sudden anything are not good for little kids.