PDA

View Full Version : Farm dog fencing

dmalbone
Dec. 2, 2009, 06:28 PM
We are considering in the FUTURE (no time in the near future) about getting a dog. I guess I'm not extremely familiar with them and would educate myself more obviously before we ever took the plunge. This would be an inside/outside dog who ideally I would like to have free roam of the barn and pastures during the day and the house and yard other times. Multi-purpose I guess if possible. I'd love a decent sized dog for protection of horses as well as myself since many times I'm out here by myself and really want the big-dog barn and look for strangers, but also a dog who CAN come in and cuddle inside. So not a strictly LGD I guess. Does that make sense? But I'm not sure what kind of fencing larger dogs need and I feel stupid asking that! My mom's GSD/husky mix is so big that he stays in the normal mini horse post and rail fencing! I wouldn't do that here since we're on a busy road. Basically, is a 2x4 the only safe thing for horse and dog? We'll have 6 strands of hotwire 8" apart. (are hotwires safe for dogs or will I fry him?) and a flex-rail at the top. Will I need to add a mesh on the other side of the fence? What do you have for those who keep their farm dogs fenced in on fairly small acreage? I won't do underground invisible fencing, I've personally witnessed a horrible mauling because of it as well as stolen dogs, other dogs, etc.

Bluey
Dec. 2, 2009, 06:34 PM
Our house yard fence is made out of 16' by 6' heavy duty chain link panels.
We need to keep critters out as much as keep our dog/s in.

Wild pigs the other night almost made three holes in the strong chain link fence.

I think that the fence you need depends on where you live.

I agree with you on invisible fencing.:no:

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:37 PM
Our house yard fence matches the pasture fences (deed restrictions on what we can use), it is 3 board with no-climb mesh. Works great.

Some of my neighbors have the no-climb on ALL of their fencing, to keep their dogs in and other dogs out. I don't have that kind of cash, so my dogs are confined to the dog fenced yard unless they are out with us and under supervision.

WaningMoon
Dec. 3, 2009, 12:21 PM
I read this to mean you wanted to know if regular electric fencing would fry him. If that is what you meant than no it will not. I have used four strand electric fence for my dogs for 15 yrs now. They do not ever get out. Once a yr or even longer, you will hear one yelp and you know someone was careless and got it. It is a good reminder once in a while. I live way out in the boonies,far away from anything and I do not want them running loose, that is just something I will not tolerate. I have never found fencing as easy to maintain and as effective as this is. It is hooked right into the pasture fence. The dogs have a half acre which is fenced off from the horses but they share a border fence between them. I have three Dobermans, a beagle, and a very hairy ChowX and this fence is very effective at keeping them all in. I know several dog breeders who use electric and love it.

I have 30 feet of chain link where the pen meets our house. Around that area it just looks nicer and I plant sunflower and morning glories on the chain link for shade for them in the summer.