PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Position Help

Be True Blue
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:29 PM
Hey Everyone!!
I need some serious help/advice with jumping. The horse I've been riding for 2 years now, lands very hard after jumping. Throughout the years, I've picked up a bad habit of bringing my body up too early (opening my hip angle before he lands). I think I do it subconsciously to prepare for the landing and to not feel like I'm going to pop right off. When I look at videos of me riding, I personally think it looks horrible; taking away from that soft natural look. I really only do it when my horse is strong/ fast or if the jumps are a little bigger. No matter how hard I focus and think about it, it just doesn't happen!! Lately I've been working on grabbing mane and forcing myself to stay closed for a stride or two after the jump, but my body just keeps on coming up!! Any excercises/ advice that would help kill this bad habit?
Thanks!

AddingStrides
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:41 PM
My trainer puts a pole about 6 feet? out from the fence on the landing side and has me make sure I don't open my hip angle back up before we cross the pole. That helps a lot. But of course you have to make a big effort not to look at the pole, and to keep looking straight ahead way out in front. So the pole's just a minor reminder for you mainly as you approach the fence. :)

KateKat
Dec. 2, 2009, 04:35 PM
maybe try a gymnastic or a bounce where you really are forced to stay in kind of a half seat and follow the horse. The other thing that really helped me this past weekend too as I too like to pop right up after the jump is making sure I am looking ahead. Like far, far ahead. I find that when I'm staring down or just slightly ahead I have a greater tendency to pop back. But when I'm planning more ahead, its much easier and relaxed for me. Oh, and making sure I'm doing a proper crest release. It was really bad when I thought that floating hands above the mane was a proper crest release (which, thanks to this board has now been fixed :) )

blackcat95
Dec. 2, 2009, 06:08 PM
Grabbing mane really helps. Also the pole thing... except my trainer didn't use a pole, and had me stay in 2 point for about 3 strides out of the jump. Since I was focused on counting the strides, it was a lot easier to stay in 2 point for some reason...

Be True Blue
Dec. 2, 2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. I am definitely going to try those tips!!

jetsmom
Dec. 3, 2009, 01:51 AM
Work on building your core strength off the horse. Google "Legendary abs" or "Six minute abs" or "synergism abs". You should find a series of about 6 different exercises that don't require a lot of expensive equipment, that REALLY work. Also use free weights and work out your back. Lower back, as well. (Bent leg dead lifts and back exetensions help.)

Rossco
Dec. 3, 2009, 08:51 AM
watch a video of a grand prix and analyze their landing position. It is best to watch the accomplished riders. In a grand prix, jumps are higher and the landing is harder by default and more obvious to the average eye. notice their heels are down and forward a little, to absorb the impact of the landing. this will keep your leg from swinging backward, (as well as a non-gripping knee) so you dont have to use your hands on the neck to support the impact. It is tough to do, i just keep thinking "down and forward, down and forward" on the landing. good luck!

Be True Blue
Dec. 3, 2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the advice! I never thought about the weight things. Also, I've actually been starting to watch videos of BNR's on youtube. Watching them will hopefully help me!