PDA

View Full Version : Sealing an arena - reference information requested

Dec. 2, 2009, 01:42 PM
I'm not sure if this is a question best suited for this forum, or the dressage forum, or the around the farm forum...or, or, or....
But I'm an eventer and so I thought I'd start here.

I've recently relocated to Southern California and while the weather is amazing 96% of the time, when it rains, it shuts arenas down.
It rained all day last Saturday and several arenas are already open and ridable. Ours is not.
I'd like to present the barn owner, and barn manager with references on how to properly prepare a non-all-weather arena for rain.
One option someone has told me about is to "seal" the arena before a rain with a roller, so that the rain water does not soak into the footing, and drain through the arena footing, but rolls off of it more than it puddles in it.
Does anyone have references, websites, .pdfs, general thoughts on how to explain the necessary requirements for setting us up for success as we approach winter?
Thanks!

summerly
Dec. 2, 2009, 04:34 PM
Well it seems when it rains it pours here, doesn't it! I, well not me, but our track/arena crew are pros at this. What they do is use a fair amount of water to create a "packing" consistency to your surface. Then if you have a heavy roller or plate for your drag simply flatten surface out getting as tight as possible so rain will run off. If you don't, you can roll with truck(we use our water truck sometimes when full as it's quite heavy) tires to create a seal. Trick is optimally you want to create a high center for arena's so water drains to outside(or your drainage spot) We often "seal" after watering to keep the surface moist underneath, requiring less water to maintain as part of daily maintenence. Most all racetracks do, works wonders on arena's too though. But a surface that packs easy(think like a beach surface packs when wet) is the easiest to do

Pocket Pony
Dec. 3, 2009, 12:19 AM
Sorry, no reference, just anectdotal evidence - that's what I do on my home arena and it definitely makes a difference!!

tuppysmom
Dec. 3, 2009, 12:25 AM
We don't have anything fancy for sealing our arena. We lay the spikes on the drag harrow down as flat as they will go and drag the ring until all the hoof prints are gone and the top is as smooth and tight as possible. If people stay off for a day or so we can fluff with the arena groomer and we are back in business.

Dec. 3, 2009, 12:39 AM
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it.
I'm not sure how to convince the management that this needs to happen before rain storms.
I'll print this thread off if I have to, but does anyone have any literature that I can add to strengthen my argument? Right now I'm the new kid from the east coast and I'm not sure how to defend/explain something like this, since what you're explaining is the way I've always seen things done.

summerly
Dec. 3, 2009, 11:21 AM
Judging by the weather forecast for SoCal for next week(at least our area), not sure exactly where you are, you better try to prove your point fast. We have a probability of rain every day next week here! Last year we had a major soaking around xmas too!