PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed for FL TB's

cottagefarm
Dec. 2, 2009, 01:22 PM
I will cross post this on some of the other boards.
Iam going to try and go over there Friday to see how I can help.

Dear Fellow Horse Folks,

Over the Thanksgiving holidays, 69 Thoroughbreds in various states of poor condition where brought to our attention. Horse Protection Assn. of Florida has stepped up to the plate and is feeding and caring for these horses. We need help, and lots of it.
Mostly we need people to adopt these horses. If that is not possible, perhaps you could make a donation of money, or feed, or hay. If you can't do that, perhaps you have something to donate that could be sold to raise funds for feed. If not, perhaps you have a little time you could donate to help with their care. Perhaps you could help with getting the word out, or with internet assistance. Maybe you could answer the phone at the farm or make calls. We welcome your input and ideas.
Please see our web site: http://www.hpaf.org/
Please contact us:

Kim Heath
bheathfarm@aol.com
352-591-1014 352-591-1014
Board Member - HPAF
Bonnie Heath Farm, LLC
www.bonnieheathfarm.com

Morgan Silver - 352-466-4366 352-466-4366
msilver@wildblue.net
Executive Director - HPAF
http://www.hpaf.org/

cottagefarm
Dec. 2, 2009, 04:06 PM
I have attached some pics of 3 rescues at HPAF.
These were not actually in the 69 but were rescued the same week from another owner.

witherbee
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:21 AM
It's just horrible that this keeps happening. I have a friend who is looking to adopt one, so we will contact HPAF and go take a look. Juat heartbreaking.

judybigredpony
Dec. 4, 2009, 06:19 AM
Obviously this is just a horrific situation, and my heart goes out to these unfortunate horses.
But after reading the restrictions for out of state adoptions since my vet is not "Holistic" and I do like to put front shoes on my horses.
I hope help finds it way to you.

nightmoves
Dec. 4, 2009, 07:22 AM
Obviously this is just a horrific situation, and my heart goes out to these unfortunate horses.
But after reading the restrictions for out of state adoptions since my vet is not "Holistic" and I do like to put front shoes on my horses.

They will overlook those restrictions it's not written in stone. Really they are very reasonable people and only want the best for the horses.

nightmoves
Dec. 4, 2009, 08:59 AM
This is on the front page of their site

This is an emergency situation and there will be a shortened adoption application and process, the standard HPAF adoption will not apply with these 49 horses.Please email to request pictures which we will have soon.
Please provide pictures of where the horse will be kept, your vet and farrier's names and numbers, and two reference. Please tell us what your immediate and long term plans are for the horse, and whether you are experienced with Thoroughbreds and/or training.

Horses will be shown this Saturday, December 5th, from 10am to 2pm in Williston. Please email for an adoption application and the address of where to see the horses.

For the seven horses pictured on the New Rescues page, they will not be ready to go to new homes right away but we want to identify adopters for them who are experienced in rehabilitating debilitated horses and who will hopefully provide permanent homes for them.

The greatest need right now is for donations to pay for feed, hay, and vet expenses.

Thank you to everyone who has sent cash donations as well as feed and hay. We will send thank you letters to everyone who has provided help and we will list everyone in a future newsletter.

Thank you for helping these horses!

Las Olas
Dec. 4, 2009, 06:03 PM
Does anyone know what farm they came off of? I see they are showing them in Williston, but I thought HPAF is in Micanopy?

nightmoves
Dec. 4, 2009, 06:53 PM
Trackside in Williston and Heaven's Gate in Morriston

TampaBayEquine
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:14 PM
New info from the website:

Horses will be shown in Williston this Saturday, December 5th, from 10am to 2pm, Sunday 12- 2pm, December 7- 11 by appointment, and Saturday December 12 from 10 am to 2pm. Please email for an adoption application and the address of where to see the horses.

There are still quite a few horses available.

summerhorse
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:23 PM

I didn't get that far, I was cut out with the grass pasture thing. I have a nice chunk of land but if I could afford to put in grass pastures I probably would not be looking for a rescue horse you know? As it is one of mine is IR and cannot have ANY grass so I'm glad now I never had the money to put in grass because then it would be wasted as I would have to take it all out! 8-O

Holistic vet? We are looking to have A vet in the backwoods! Sometimes horses do need shoes.

I'm very glad they are not holding people to these restrictions for these horses or they might have most of them forever! ;-)

It would be easier to place the other horses in homes though if they looked for good homes not their idea of the PERFECT home. I do admire the good job they do bringing these horses back from the side of the grave.

nightmoves
Dec. 12, 2009, 09:21 AM
They already managed to adopt 49 of these TB's out to new homes.

cottagefarm
Dec. 12, 2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks for updating Nightmoves:)

I hvae been keeping it up to date on the eventing board as thats where I was getting the most response.

Here's my girl
http://www.pedigreequery.com/mandalika

She is now home and is an absolute sweetheart. I feel very lucky. I also feel lucky that after getting her checked yesterday she is NOT in foal, phew.
I'm sure that no stallion report was sent in so registration would have been a problem.
My friend adopted Devious Warning by Warningford , a nice big 5 yr old mare and then we have a special treat coming in another week. I will update when that happens :)

I must give big kudo's to Kim Heath of Bonnie Heath Farm, who is on the board of HPAF and has worked tirelessly to get these horses placed.

Please remember these great rescue associations over the holidays. many of them are overwhelmed right now. Morgan Silver the founder of HPAF has been working all this week to save 5 starving horses. Unfortunately 3 have died (2 were put down immediately). I am amazed by the work the do everyday.

Attached a couple pics of Lika before she came home. Can't wait until she's all fat and shiny :yes:

S A McKee
Dec. 12, 2009, 10:23 AM

Very strange isn't it.
It's very sad that these horses were treated badly but in my book not doing vac's, regular vet care ( real vet not a quack) and not putting shoes on horses that need them is just as bad.
Oh yeah, the obligatory natural horsemanship comment. Sometimes natural and horsemanship don't go together.

I hope none of the adopters are breeders !!!

Las Olas
Dec. 12, 2009, 07:10 PM
Here's my girl
http://www.pedigreequery.com/mandalika

She is now home and is an absolute sweetheart. I feel very lucky. I also feel lucky that after getting her checked yesterday she is NOT in foal, phew.
Attached a couple pics of Lika before she came home. Can't wait until she's all fat and shiny :yes:

Congrats on getting her. Bred by the Aga Khan and half to MANNDAR (loved that horse). Nice mare, such a shame.

Here's a copy of the last catalog page, if you're interested.

http://obssales.com/augcatalog/2006/524.PDF

Bonus that she is a sweetheart. Most of the one's I've been around with Sea Bird close up could reach a whole new level of nastiness.

LauraKY
Dec. 12, 2009, 07:38 PM
Whew. Those rules are exactly why there are so many horses out there languishing in rescues. Let's see, dressage or centered riding only (why?), holistic (why?) grass paddock (what if horse is IR, not to mention most top dressage homes will have individual turnout and very limited grass, especially in Florida). The list just completely floors me! And of course, it has to be a forever home. Such a crying shame. We retrain OTTBs. Some are used for pleasure, some competition, some lessons. Some are leased out. Most are eventually sold (to as good a home as we can find). Some of them, horrors, actually like to JUMP. Go figure. Guess we're not "qualified" to adopt from this "rescue". Sorry for the rant.

foxhavenfarm
Dec. 18, 2009, 09:01 AM
Just as an aside, the adoption requirements were basically waived for these horses. We ended up taking two coming two year old fillies and all that they required was vet and farrier phone number and pictures of your farm.