PDA

View Full Version : Mud Management

AlexMakowski
Dec. 2, 2009, 12:11 PM
Hi All! We are continuing renovation on our property in Southern Chester County, PA. Near White Clay Creek State Park and Fair Hill. (Lots of Red Clay)

Anyway, we have been having an awful time with mud and drainage. Next week we are adding a catch basin to catch the water from the house as it flows down to the barn and pastures.

The big problem has been the gates. We are looking to at least make them semi dry. Any specific materials recommendations? We found great reclaimed road millings. Also, should we pull of the top layer of mud and mess and then lay down a footing?

Any recommendation are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

greysandbays
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:23 PM
If you've already got mud, then yes, you'll have to scrape it off and lay down whatever you're putting down. Otherwise, anything you add will just disappear into the mud (unless you are talking about adding vast -- and I mean truly vast -- quantities of road millings).

The best mud management is done when it's dry.

But I should talk... my fall "mud management" plan is "it'll freeze sooner or later"; my spring "mud management" plan is "it'll dry out sooner or later".

DairyQueen2049
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:28 PM
1. Remove slime layer of clay - put a 1% grade on this dryer layer to DRAIN the way YOU WANT it to drain. Your contractor should use a level to do this - NOT BY THE EYE BALL!!!!!
2. Geotech fabric - you want the one that LETS WATER THROUGH but DOES NOT let SILTS AND FINES (ie: clay particles) through
3. peastone, limestone, some firm later (we are talking more then 6" thick here) of NON ORGANICs that DRAIN Well. This layer is level over your graded 1% drain layer.

Fancy That
Dec. 2, 2009, 04:12 PM
If you are doing areas around gates you can scrape off the mud layer on top...put down old carpet (free) THEN add your rock.

That way the rock isn't sucked up by the clay/mud. Same concept as geo textile fabric or cow carpet....but cheaper :)

the_other_mother
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:29 PM
What DairyQueen said.....and stone dust.

AlexMakowski
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks Guys! We actually have some of the geofabric left over because we just did our ring! So I will make sure we scrape off the top layer, put that down, and add millings. We are getting 3 dumptruck loads this week . . . maybe more next week. The property is already significantly sloped with all the water draining back into the fields and barn areas unfortunately. Thanks again! Any more ideas keep them coming!

Meredith Clark
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:34 PM
I'm in the same area and have the same problems. My poor horses are standing in the rain because it's too muddy to bring their barn/run in shed in! :no:

I just started renting the property so thankfully no horses have been on it for years and the mud isn't bad yet.

I actually hired an excavator and I'm just going to pay him to do whatever he recommends! I did some research (here and other places) so I know if he's ripping me off (no, I don't need gold plated gutters!) but at the end of the day he knows this area and he knows dirt!

If you want his number he's great, totally fair in price and works his butt off.. PM me