PDA

View Full Version : Finally a way to do XC without ever falling off!

frugalannie
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:36 AM
Need a little cheer up this morning? Here's a way to do XC without ever falling off. Video quality not great, but can be seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmkxnpkPjWE&feature=player_embedded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmkxnpkPjWE&feature=player_embedded)

Now I know what to do with old tires! I'm not sure it'll bump dog agillity off of Animal Planet, but you never know.

By the way, your factlet of the day: Chimpanzees can't interpret pointed hands/ fingers. Dogs can, and this is proof that horses can, too. Just in case you need something to chat about at your next cocktail party.;)

analise
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:41 AM
I love that the horses are doing that all without halter/lead. And they seem to actually be enjoying it.

I mentioned to a friend last night, "they even have the horse run through a tunnel!" and she was like, "omg forserious?". We were trying to imagine how they trained the horse to do that. I mean, jumping isn't that difficult, people free jump horses all the time, but some of those other obstacles are really impressive when you think that the horse has to like doing it or it just wouldn't cooperate.

Eventer55
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:42 AM
OMG thanks for that!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

imapepper
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks for posting. I sent my mom the link. She does dog agility :lol: I think she will get a big kick out of that.

Hilary
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:01 AM
Obviously you have never seen me ride a bicycle!! Far more chance of falling off when I'm fully responsible for the stability.

But cool video.

asterix
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:28 AM
Actually, if you look at this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h7CAEB3Grw&NR=1
you can see how they train the tunnel.

Plus there is a ridiculously adorable pony in that one :D

Timex
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:32 AM
that was great!

and yes, horses definitely understand the finger pointing! my 5 yr old son does the Pee Wee division of our gymkana, which means he's off the lead, but he still has an adult in the ring with him. when doing the pole bending, all i have to do is point away from me or towards me, and the mare he rides weaves in and out, depending on where i'm pointing. my son is usually too busy waving at our friends to steer. lol

foxhavenfarm
Dec. 2, 2009, 01:58 PM
What's funny is at the end of the video when the trainer is pointing to one obstacle and the horse decides to do a whole series of obstacles by himself...:lol:

JER
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:26 PM
That was great. Who knew Finns were such fun?

I do that kind of loose jumping with all my horses. I'm on foot, running. The bike looks easier. My horses love to play in the ring like that. We even do it in a group.

I've done the tunnel/bridge stuff mounted (I've gone to those clinics). Most horses can deal with it fairly easily.

pharmgirl
Dec. 2, 2009, 05:25 PM
OMG, horse agility! Very cool!!

Yes, asterix, that pony is very adorable!

eventingismylife
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:51 PM
That was great, I loved the tunnel!

sisu27
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:17 AM
That was great. Who knew Finns were such fun?

I did! Forget about the stereotype of the dour, sour Finn....we do know how to have fun....we just don't let everyone "in" ;)

Great videos!

LuckyStar
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:35 AM
Wow this was pretty impressive! Would love to train daughter's pony in this way!

Mtn trails
Dec. 3, 2009, 03:40 PM
Take That Pat Parelli!! Think you're so cool, you ain't got nothin' on these guys! :D

Thanks for posting this, it's a hoot

INoMrEd
Dec. 3, 2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks for posting that!

LLDM
Dec. 3, 2009, 06:01 PM
Ah HA! That's what I've been doing wrong all this time! I could have saved a fortune on tack. Way, way too cool. Thanks FA!

SCFarm

Duramax
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:08 PM
When the horse went up the ramp/bridge/ramp it looked like he was searching for a trail of treats, lol! :lol:

mjrtango93
Dec. 3, 2009, 11:27 PM
The horses all seem to be having a good time too. They toss their heads and buck, just looks like the enjoy it! I was a little nervous with that one horse running right behind that guy with his ears pinned though!