PDA

View Full Version : Today is the day-**sad**

pinkdiamondracing
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:25 AM
Today is the day we have to put down my wonderful eventing project I had given to my dad to train in hopes of him being a top level eventer for us.
I was given this horse by his owners after they decided they no longer wanted him to race, and were concerned that he would end up in bad hands. Not an easy decision for them as they paid $ 1 million for him only two short years before as a two year old in training.
He has been battling EPM and had been through a treatment of Navigator, managed to duck the colitis side effect of the drug, had started to pick up weight, and seemed to be doing fairly well. Until the other day. Mom said he started to have some foot issues, and they treated him very agressively to prevent laminitis, but it's no use, there is no hope, and I will NOT put him through the pain of some of the laminitis treatments I have witnessed through working at a large equne clinic here in Kentucky, to me it's better to let him go.

We have radiographed hm, and he has rotated in both fronts.

The decision is made, and he will be crossing the Rainbow Bridge today.
Please jingle for his safe crossing . My heart is breaking, I had such high hopes for him, and I so wanted him to have another career.
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Godspeed Grand Survival, you will always be in my heart.

AEM74
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:33 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss but you're doing a noble and brave thing for this guy by choosing to end his suffering. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers today.

frugalannie
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:42 AM
So very sorry to see this. Pink Diamond, how lucky he was for you to care so much about him. Condolences to all who knew him.

Godspeed, Grand Survival.

Saskatoonian
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:47 AM
so sorry for all of you.

vineyridge
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:58 AM
Condolences to all of you. This is so sad, but so right. Bless you for doing the best for him when it is so hard.

hamsterpoop
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:58 AM
The worst, my sympathies.

CookiePony
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:03 AM
I'm so sorry. Hugs to all of you.

LLDM
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:06 AM
It's so heartbreaking. Especially when they are so young. I wish we could fix them. I wish I could tell why doing the right thing is so damn hard. Hugs.

SCFarm

kookicat
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:18 AM
I'm so sorry. {{hugs}}

scubed
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:28 AM
So sorry. He was lucky to have you on his side and still making the right choice. Godspeed Grand Survival

Bogie
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:33 AM
Lots of hugs. What a hard decision to have to make.

Catalina
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:33 AM
:( You are doing the right thing by him, as hard as it might be.

monstrpony
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:44 AM
So very sorry. Your are doing the right, hard thing.

tuppysmom
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:17 AM
Lots of long faces around here today.

Brandy76
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:29 AM
My deepest sympathies. How very brave you are. Hugs to you.

You are being so kind to this horse.

DLee
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:46 AM
Oh, I had no idea. :( So very sorry PDR and tuppysmom. That is so hard.

Zu Zu
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:50 AM
So sorry ~ thoughts and prayers for all who loved Grand Survival. RIP Big Horse.

3horsemom
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:56 AM
i am so sorry. loving them enough to let them go is the right thing but never without heartbreak. you and yours will be in my prayers.

OverandOnward
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:04 AM
Sending both tears and cheers ... god bless you for putting the horse first. You are saving his life, saving him from the nightmare of such a condition.

VicariousRider
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:22 AM
A vet I once worked for consoled me by reminding me that for horses there are many worse things than death, especially because they don't have the ability to know if tomorrow will be a better day.

You have done so much for this horse already and given him love than many OTTB's never know. I have been in a similar situation and I have no regrets. My thoughts are with you today.

Altitude Rider
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:33 AM
You are doing the right thing, so sorry for your pain of making that decision.

I truly understand, I just went through this in August with my boy...you can search and read my thread about Ready, it might make you feel a little better knowing you aren't the only one that's had to do this.

Big hugs and be prepared, the pain in your heart will be huge and overwhelming at times.

KNOW that you did the right thing for the brave animal.

Carolyn

avezan
Dec. 2, 2009, 01:09 PM
So sorry. I lost a horse to EPM earlier this year. Such an awful disease. He was lucky to have you caring for him.

TBCollector
Dec. 2, 2009, 02:58 PM
God, it's so hard...bless you for taking on the pain he won't have to feel now.

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:04 PM
My deepest sympathies. I have no other words of comfort to add, only time will help to ease your pain.

deltawave
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:06 PM
I'm so sorry. You did your very, very best for him, which is a very, very good deed. :sadsmile:

Lori B
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:06 PM
Hugs for you and your boy. He is lucky to have someone who is brave enough to spare him what sounds like a difficult and unlikely to succeed cycle of treatment.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:07 PM
You are doing the right thing by him....doesn't make it easy.

Most of us have been there....and all will be there some day if you keep horses in your life. *Hugs*...for him and you.

Auburn
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:20 PM
Sending (((hugs))) and prayers for you and your family in Idaho. To lose one so young is so very hard, but you made the best decision for him.

Sudi's Girl
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:24 PM
So very sorry to hear this! (((hugs))) My condolences - How very sad! :(

Gunnar
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:50 PM
:sadsmile:Godspeed to your boy! Hugs to all involved. My heart breaks with your decision but it is the best one! :sadsmile:

cottagefarm
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:58 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.
it's a very hard decision to make :cry:

FlightCheck
Dec. 2, 2009, 04:57 PM
bless you for saving him the first time, and sending him on now.

pinkdiamondracing
Dec. 2, 2009, 05:08 PM
Thank you all.
Gus is not the first OTTB to come into our lives, and he will not be the last-- we as a family prefer them as our mounts of choice, for when they learn to relax and trust, a better horse you will not find.
I have one at home here I have had for 19 years, I bought him as a race horse, raced him myself, and retired him and made him into a riding horse. He will never leave me.
I know that there will be others.
This it be right, for this will make space in our hearts and barns for another OTTB in need of a home and career.

jenm
Dec. 2, 2009, 05:14 PM
:( I'm so sorry you had to send Gus across the Rainbow Bridge, but it seems you are doing what is best for him.

Sending you many, many {{Hugs}} during this difficult time.

My condolences to you and everyone who loved him.

Godspeed Gus...

eventgroupie2
Dec. 2, 2009, 05:56 PM
Hugs rom VA.

SuperSTB
Dec. 2, 2009, 06:00 PM
Hugs coming from Cali...

ss3777
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:41 PM
hugs from NY

RunForIt
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:11 PM
we're taking taking those huge deep breaths with you as you send this good boy on...peace to all of you good animals.

ShayDarra
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:21 PM
Hugs from Texas from one who has been there. Tears are running now as I know how hard and necessary the decision is. He can run and play with my brave Zephyr when he crosses the bridge. My heart goes out to you.

SD

texang73
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:51 PM
So very sorry for your loss. Though good for you for doing what is best for the horse.

fooler
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:16 AM
Hugs from South Carolina - doing the right thing is not always easy. Bless you.