PDA

View Full Version : Selling and Commission Questions

Foxhall
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:18 AM
I am thinking of sending my horse down to FL this winter with a trainer to be sold (better market etc...)

If he didn't sell over the winter, he would come back with me this spring to my barn.

What do most trainers charge for a commission type deal? What happens if he doesn't sell over the winter and I take him back to my barn? Do I still have to pay some sort of commission?
Is it normal to have to pay them a training fee on top of normal board as well as a commission?

Thanks in advance.

LKF
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:40 AM
10% commission is a common fee. I've sometimes requested 15%, but that is when I take videos, haul the horse to x-c courses, hard copy marketing, etc. The client can just sit and wait for me to hand them a check. I do all the foot work.

Smufy3DE
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:43 AM
10% is common. I charge that to talk with clients, ride, take pictures videos, posting on websites, flyers at shows, but does not include any board and training/lessons. I know most trainers either have you pay board/training and then take 10% or take 30% after the horse is sold if you didn't pay board/training.

Dec. 2, 2009, 11:54 AM
I charge 10% and that includes advertising, videos, setting up appointments, attending the appointments, all discussion w/customers, etc etc. I do not do the riding but would charge per ride most likely.

findeight
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:59 AM
10-15% of the final sales price is pretty standard but GET A WRITTEN AGREEMENT before you ship.

And, yeah, you have to pay board and training when you send one out for several months that does not sell. Nobody can afford to take them on spec anymore...maybe for one show or event or a couple of weeks, not for a lengthy period of time. It also takes alot of negotiating room out of the price when the trainer needs to get expenses back.

Get a contract signed and a rate sheet listing EVERYTHING you will be billed for.

IronwoodFarm
Dec. 2, 2009, 01:24 PM
I agree completely with FindEight but will add that everything is negotiable. Trainers make all kinds of deals and nothing is really standard. That's why it is so important to have whatever you negotiate in writing.

I have no idea how many $$$ you are asking for your horse, but I would look at the cost of sending the horse to be sold versus keeping it home and selling yourself. I've had really good luck selling horses over the winter in Virginia. Obviously it all depends on the sale horse, the effort to keep the horse in some kind of work and your own ability to deal with selling horses.

TXnGA
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:47 PM
make sure you get it all in writing and signed by all parties involved.

we sent a horse to be sold by an UL rider and the agreement was to pay training and board and 10% commission. well horse didn't sell, UL wanted us to keep the horse for them to ride and have as an olympic hopeful mount. um, no, wasn't what we wanted.5 months went by and horse came back to us with a fractured face and hole in suspensory and cuts and scars on the hind legs. the UL wanted us to pay him more $$ since the horse didn't sell and we said H*LL NO because the horse's vet fees alone to get the horse properly looked at and cared for cost a small fortune.

not saying this will happen to your horse, but have it all in writing. :yes:

yellowbritches
Dec. 2, 2009, 07:21 PM
We charge a monthly rate (which is less than our full training and board) plus either 15 or 20% (I can't remember). We do EVERYTHING. The horse is basically in full training while it is with us, and we do all the advertising and marketing, presenting it to buyers, arranging pre-purchases, etc, etc, etc. The owners pretty much just cash the check at the end.

HOWEVER, do talk to the trainer and be VERY clear about your plan and be very clear what the deal will be at the end of the time frame if the horse doesn't sell. We've had a couple of dirty deals where we've taken a horse on consignment (usually a pretty green or naughty horse), gotten it going well, have had the owners yank our chain when offers have been made causing us to lose sales, then have them "decide" that they rather keep the horse. Basically, they ended up getting several months of full board and training for a much reduced rate and we've lost a consignment. That SUCKS. Be sure you and the trainer are on the same page about what happens at the end of the winter and the horse hasn't sold. Also make sure you are both on the same page about extraordinary expenses (ex: we advertise the horse in as many places as we can, but if the owner wants a dsplay ad in COTH, we're going to have them pay. Also have them cover entry fees, etc).

Good luck!