PDA

View Full Version : Desperately Need Ideas!!!

Kiwayu
Dec. 2, 2009, 07:53 AM
Ok, we all know the problems I've had with Kiwi...

A lot of my issues stem from Kiwi being a HORRIBLE drinker, such as, he hasn't taken a sip of water from his bucket in about 3 weeks. He's always been like this. The BO and I always joke around that I could go away for 1-2 weeks and leave him with a 5 gallon bucket of water and he'd have plenty left over.

I DESPERATELY need ideas to get this guy to drink!!!!! Especially since this morning I've noticed his mature looking VERY dry. :uhoh: He doesn't touch his salt, mineral, or hymalian block (he has all three). I can't even put salt in his feed or he won't touch it. He hates Koolaide in his water, and not very fond of molasses in his water. I'm seriously about to start syringing salt into his mouth 1-2x a day, but need more ideas.

He's been living on senior and hay cubes for the past 2 weeks since he's been sick, but won't eat them if they have extra water in them. He just HATES water! Lately, I can tell he's getting sick of eating his hay cubes because he's not finishing them. :mad:

Anyway, can you guys please list any ideas you have???? Thanks!

ThoroughbredFancy
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:01 AM
A friend of mine has a mare who's not a big drinker but she does like her Himalayan salt rock and that encourages her a little.

She has syringed electrolytes (either the paste form or just mix the powered form with water) and syringe it into her mouth.

One time she purchased some mixture, it looked like she was putting grain/sweet feed into her water, that was to encourage horses to drink. It seemed to work well but I cannot remember what it was.

Also, have you tried different temperatures of water? Cold, cool, warm etc?

cloudyandcallie
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:15 AM
What does he like to eat?
Wet whatever it is.

You can do apple juice and water it down, anything he likes.

I've a friend who bought the big container of black strap molasses distributed by Seminole Feeds, and she pours a layer to cover the bottom of a bucket, then she fills bucket with water and her mare drinks it all.

I'm a fan of "grain tea" which is the handful of grain dissolved in a 2 gallon bucket, and fed, bucket after bucket to get gallons into a horse.

My WB drinks Coke, beer, orange juice, Metamucil, grain tea, bananas and just about anything, so he's easy to tempt when the weather requires more water. He does not like salt of any kind, so I buy summergames from smartpak and he excludes it from the small amt of grain he gets. So I soak his Equalizer and pour it on the summergames, or pour a Coke over it.

Oh and if it is cold up there, heat some water. If you barn doesn't have hot water, JeffersLivestock sells a good coiled heater for about $30 that heats water fast.

Juice whatever Kiwayu likes to eat. Add water, and keep it up till he stays hydrated. His treats maybe, a special treat, a special fruit, carrot juice, apple juice, whatever.

Zu Zu
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:44 AM
I pour Behr Rabbit sp.? molasses from the baking section of the grocery store --- GET MILD- on my ponies' & horses" salt bricks when the weaher turns cool and throughout the winter . They think it is Cracker Jacks lick it and then drink their usual amount of water. Just an idea you may want to try - has always worked for me & mine. Also Gatorade is well liked by some horses - to keep them drinking and hydrated.

alteringwego
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:48 AM
I use Equitea or graintea which is where you put 1-2 cups of pelleted grain in a bucket of water. Molasses makes it sweet and they'll drink it right up. My bad drinkers get a bucket every night.

1Walks1Trots
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:49 AM
It's a good idea to try warmed water. Another thing you can try is adding some apple cider vinegar. Sounds gross to me, but it's worked for some. Also, try putting peppermints in the water, they sink and let out a gross sugary mess that horses love.

sdlbredfan
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:07 AM
When was the last time you got him a brand new bucket, or cleaned the one now in there? If the bucket now in place is fairly new, please recap for us what the cleaning routine is on it? He might have a memory of a past problem with the bucket, which is why I suggested a new bucket.

Has his mouth been checked for open sores? I agree that warm water is a good idea. Will he eat a soupy mash of any kind?

I hope your Vet has been contacted again, critter may need IV fluids. One thing to be very careful of, if the horse is already dehydrated, do not give electrolytes, that will make things worse. Have you tried making a huge batch of peppermint tea, to see if he'd drink that? If that turns out to be a flavor he likes, may have to serve water with tea for awhile?

mickeydoodle
Dec. 2, 2009, 12:39 PM
warm water (as mentioned above) can help entice a horse to drink

or a soupy bran mash?

deltawave
Dec. 2, 2009, 12:49 PM
If you're going to syringe anything into him, let it be WATER. Shoving salt in a bad drinker just gives you a dehydrated bad drinker.

Maybe his teeth hurt when he drinks cold water? Mine do.

Rodeio
Dec. 2, 2009, 12:59 PM
I would try warming the water. There is a horse at the barn I lesson at that has lemon essential oil added to his water otherwise he will not drink.

Gloria
Dec. 2, 2009, 01:05 PM
You said he didn't care for molass in the water. I'm kind of surprised... Did you put enough of the molass in? I know my horses will turn their noses up if there isn't enough molass in the water. I always have to dump a ton of molass in... and then they suck it all up.

Donkey
Dec. 2, 2009, 01:20 PM
Molasses based salt like is like crack for my horse. I don't let her have free access to it - I let her spend 15-20 minutes with ti every day or two as a treat.

Zu Zu's idea is a good one too.

Good luck!

Hampton Bay
Dec. 2, 2009, 02:47 PM
My mare LOVES rice bran that is liquid with water. It's not quite a soup, but I put maybe 5 cups into a gallon or so of water, and she will drink that. It's a lot of calories, but it sure gets water into her if I need her to drink.

Everyone here likes water out of the one old water tank with the fish and algae in it. They won't drink out of a clean water tank anymore unless I add the algae water to it. Go figure. So if he drinks water in the pasture, try mixing half a bucket of that water into some fresh water in his stall.

buck22
Dec. 2, 2009, 02:56 PM
HorseQuenchers is the name of the product someone referred too, it works like magic... I moved my horses to a barn once and the water was really funky smelling and they stopped drinking, I gave them a couple of buckets with HQ and they got used to the water fast.

My older gelding went through a period of a sensitive tooth (it finally actually fell out) where he refused ice cold water, but loved warm water.

If it were my horse, like mentioned, I'd find anything that horse did like to eat and make a 'tea' from that for them to drink.... water is so critical and dry manure is sooooo scary.

Uckele makes some sugar-free flavoring syrups I keep on hand for making teas in the winter, they have peppermint and molasses.

Also, if it were my horse, I'd probably consider the possibility of ulcers too and probably buy a tube or two of gastroguard just to see.

can you wet the horse's hay just to get some more water into him?

Also a friend had a horse that despised the smell of plastic and refused to drink from most water tubs/buckets.

buck22
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:02 PM
hey, just another thought... for a short period of time I kept my Morgan at a facility that had mandatory stalling. My morgan refused to pee in his stall, so he soon decided to stop drinking in his stall too. It was hard to keep track of as they had automatic waterers, but when I did install a bucket his was nearly always untouched (while my aged gelding would drink his down and make lakes in his stall).

Does your horse pee in his stall? if not, is peeing one of the first things he does when he leaves it?

If he doesn't pee in his stall then he may purposely not be drinking.

dab
Dec. 2, 2009, 05:45 PM
I've had luck with adding gingerale to water --

kookicat
Dec. 2, 2009, 05:59 PM
Try adding a couple of whole apples to his bucket. They should float, and he'll slurp water as he's trying to get them out. You could try other fruit/veg too- I'm just not sure what else will float! ;)

Can you move his bucket around the stall too? Asp refuses to drink if I put hers in a corner, so I try to keep it on the long wall.

Is it a dark bucket? Try a light one so he's not sticking his head into a great dark hole. Maybe try a more shallow bucket too, for the same reasons.

TKR
Dec. 2, 2009, 06:18 PM
I sure hope one of the ideas works. It could be the material the bucket is made of - try several buckets of different types -- metal, rubber, plastic, whatever you can think of and see if he has an aversion to the material of one or likes one.
Good luck!
PennyG

mkevent
Dec. 2, 2009, 06:26 PM
I'm wondering about the IV fluids, too. What does your vet think?

Fharoah
Dec. 2, 2009, 06:53 PM
How does your water taste? You could try the purest tasteing bottled water you can find. Can you feed him wet peet pulp that adds some moisture, warm water, carrot juice, seven up, hope you find something that helps! My horse is on stall rest right now and he tends not to drink enough.

Zu Zu
Dec. 2, 2009, 06:58 PM
Another idea - ~ if he likes peppermints put peppermints in the water ~ sometimes at shows the water tastes different and some people put peppermints in the water buckets to keep horses drinking.

Kiwayu
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:13 PM
When was the last time you got him a brand new bucket, or cleaned the one now in there? If the bucket now in place is fairly new, please recap for us what the cleaning routine is on it? He might have a memory of a past problem with the bucket, which is why I suggested a new bucket.

Has his mouth been checked for open sores? I agree that warm water is a good idea. Will he eat a soupy mash of any kind?

I hope your Vet has been contacted again, critter may need IV fluids. One thing to be very careful of, if the horse is already dehydrated, do not give electrolytes, that will make things worse. Have you tried making a huge batch of peppermint tea, to see if he'd drink that? If that turns out to be a flavor he likes, may have to serve water with tea for awhile?

His water bucket and grain bucket get scrubbed every single day. They both look like brand new despite being 9 years old. Also, every month or so I bleach them. Can you tell I'm a paranoid neat freak??? I also bleach my stall walls 1-2x a year, but I won't go into that...

Kiwayu
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:16 PM
hey, just another thought... for a short period of time I kept my Morgan at a facility that had mandatory stalling. My morgan refused to pee in his stall, so he soon decided to stop drinking in his stall too. It was hard to keep track of as they had automatic waterers, but when I did install a bucket his was nearly always untouched (while my aged gelding would drink his down and make lakes in his stall).

Does your horse pee in his stall? if not, is peeing one of the first things he does when he leaves it?

If he doesn't pee in his stall then he may purposely not be drinking.

He only pees in his stall, but his stall is also attached to his paddock. He has 24/7 turnout and can go in/out anytime he wants.

Kiwayu
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:19 PM
He'll only drink warm water, but lately, doesn't even want that! I'm going to try the peppermints, the soda, and maybe even some apples in the water.

What he REALLY likes....WATERMELON! But I can't find that this time of year. :(

SkipChange
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:36 PM
I second the apples in the water. Sliced or whole and let them bob for the apples. Worked great to get my hard drinker to drink at trailer pit stops for ~10hr trailer rides. In the summer we used ice or popsicles (all of ours LOVE popsicles/frozen gatorade), but that doesn't sound like a good option at the moment.

I had a pony that was a terrible drinker in her stall. For some reason she hated to drink out of 5 gallon buckets. Anything smaller than a giant water trough freaked her out. She was neglected/abused before I got her so I'm not sure she had ever SEEN a 5 gallon bucket before I got her. She drank like a pro out of a big water trough, might be worth a try.

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:47 PM
I don't have any bad drinkers, but I must tell you this one. I have two buckets in each stall, and an automatic waterer in the pasture.

I had put out a plastic wading pool for the stray dog, and for whatever reason, all three horses loved to drink out of that. They would drink from that before drinking from either the buckets in their stalls or the waterer. Maybe it was because it was more like a pond? Not really sure.

FindersKeepers
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:50 PM
What about picking up a bunch of watermelon jolly ranchers then? Not the real deal, but might flavor the water enough to get him to drink.

buck22
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:08 PM
His water bucket and grain bucket get scrubbed every single day. They both look like brand new despite being 9 years old. Also, every month or so I bleach them.
hmm? might be something about the bleaching? I'd try some new buckets and let them get average dirty - aka no cleaning agents for cleaning, just a scrub...

Laurierace
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:13 PM
hmm? might be something about the bleaching? I'd try some new buckets and let them get average dirty - aka no cleaning agents for cleaning, just a scrub...

That was my thought as well. It could easily be the bleach he is reacting too, that smell is pretty strong and I am sure they can smell it long after the smell is gone for us.

Zu Zu
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:31 PM
Any pharmacy can mix up some watermelon flavored drops for you - they flavor cat medicine with tuna flavored drops ~ just ask.

scpezold
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:03 PM
Beet pulp. I put the BP in a bucket and fill with the hottest water from the tap. I let the water flow until it totally covers the BP. It takes only a couple of minutes and all the hot water absorbs (never understood why some ppl feel the need to soak BP for several hours). If it is to hot to serve immediately run some cold water over it. This is the single best thing I have found to get water in them. If I am feeling really generous I will boil the water and add alot of peppermints to it. Let it cool a bit and then add to BP. You could also add pedialyt or gatorade to this as well. You could also skip the BP and just add warm water to his feed.
If it is super cold and I know they will drink less I will mix the already absorbed BP and feed together and then add even more warm water.
Good Luck. How stressful this must be for you :no:

ksojerio
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:13 PM
He'll only drink warm water, but lately, doesn't even want that! I'm going to try the peppermints, the soda, and maybe even some apples in the water.

Go to a local pharmacy and ask them if they can sell you watermelon flavoring. My pharm has a big sign on the wall that says they can flavor your meds, and watermelon is one of the flavorings. Also, there used to be a company called Watkins that sold all kinds of oils, essences and flavorings. Don't know if they are still in business.

Calena
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:27 PM
Grass averages ~70% water. Does he have access to any grass? I've found warming helps and I scrub my mare's bucket with baking soda. It works like a cleanser and they love the aftertaste it leaves.

My fussy drinker won't touch her water if I put anything in there. She doesn't trust change.

LOVE*MY*NAGS
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:37 PM
I would buy him a couple new buckets ~ out of different kinds of materials. One of my horses refuses to drink out of certain buckets ~ the other horses don't mind at all. They must have a certain smell or taste he doesn't like. You also might want to try putting the buckets in a different spot in his pasture or stall. Hey, you never know. I would also not bleach his buckets or put any other chemical in them. He might not like the smells.
Also, water down all his grain/feed.

Donkey
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:55 PM
If the buckets are that old I'd try new ones on the off chance that the plastic taste is leaching into the water (I've had plastics cups I've thrown away because of that). You could always taste the water in his buckets in the morning to see for yourself ;) I'd also stay away from any chemicals when cleaning.

There are some neat ideas in this thread. I may have to try out the Gatorade or apple juice popsicles....

Kiwayu
Dec. 3, 2009, 05:19 AM
I second the apples in the water. Sliced or whole and let them bob for the apples. Worked great to get my hard drinker to drink at trailer pit stops for ~10hr trailer rides. In the summer we used ice or popsicles (all of ours LOVE popsicles/frozen gatorade), but that doesn't sound like a good option at the moment.

I had a pony that was a terrible drinker in her stall. For some reason she hated to drink out of 5 gallon buckets. Anything smaller than a giant water trough freaked her out. She was neglected/abused before I got her so I'm not sure she had ever SEEN a 5 gallon bucket before I got her. She drank like a pro out of a big water trough, might be worth a try.

I tried it...I have a big muck bucket outside in the paddock and a HEATED 5 gallon bucket in his stall. He can go in/out whenever, so he gets to choose.

I've seriously tried many different things.

Kiwayu
Dec. 3, 2009, 05:24 AM

I've done this since I bought him 9 years ago. It's never bothered him before. I do have 1 new heated bucket that I have never used. I'll throw that up today.

Do I need to go to a compounding pharmacy for the watermelon flavoring??? All the pharmacies around here are CVS, Walgreens, etc. Basically pick up your meds and go type places.

What about Wedgewood Pharmacy? You think they'd ship me just flavoring? I'm desperate...

LOVE*MY*NAGS
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:00 AM
I know you stated your horse likes warm water ~ try just regular (new) buckets of water ~ unheated.
Be sure your tubs/buckets are not giving him a mild shock (it happens WAY more than you think and it may be very mild but enough to scare him) from the electric heater in the tub.

cloudyandcallie
Dec. 3, 2009, 08:28 AM

It's not watermelon season even in GA, but aren't there watermelon flavored jellos or things like that? Let me check the stores down here.

Plan on buying some seeds (well you can use the seeds from your "bought" melon) and planting for spring. And figuring out how to freeze or dry melons for winter.

MistyBlue
Dec. 3, 2009, 08:36 AM
Arizona teas...those tall cans of flavored teas and fruit drinks you can find in almost any convenience store or grocery store makes a watermelon fruit drink. My husband drinks it, and it does have a pretty strong watermelon taste. They come in tall colorful cans and are 99 cents.
Around here I can get them in CVS and Walgreens in the refridgerator cases where they sell individual drinks. Maybe check there too?

kookicat
Dec. 3, 2009, 08:44 AM
What about frozen water melon? My local supermarkets sell bags of it to make smoothies with.

mkevent
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:30 AM
What does the barns water taste like? Maybe it has a strong taste that he doesn't care for. Could you try a gallon of distilled water or spring water and see if that makes a difference?

I've been at barns where the water tastes nasty. We have a water softener here and the barn uses the same water as our house. I wouldn't drink our water if we didn't have a water softener.

GPD123
Dec. 3, 2009, 05:51 PM
LOVE horsequenchers- my non-drinker chugs the bucket to lick the stuff off the bottom-
definately worth the money, and saves the colic

Kiwayu
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:34 PM
Any pharmacy can mix up some watermelon flavored drops for you - they flavor cat medicine with tuna flavored drops ~ just ask.

I emailed Wedgewood Pharmacy and they will not sell me flavoring. :(

He's what they wrote:
"Thank you for your inquiry. We do not sell flavorings. You may want to check a flavor supplier for you request online.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact Customer Care at 1-800-331-8272. We want to make every effort to assist and make it as easy as possible to do business with Wedgewood Pharmacy.

Thank you."

What the heck is a flavor supplier? CVS looked at me like I had 5 heads when I asked.

Kiwayu
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:35 PM
Arizona teas...those tall cans of flavored teas and fruit drinks you can find in almost any convenience store or grocery store makes a watermelon fruit drink. My husband drinks it, and it does have a pretty strong watermelon taste. They come in tall colorful cans and are 99 cents.
Around here I can get them in CVS and Walgreens in the refridgerator cases where they sell individual drinks. Maybe check there too?

Wow. Never thought of that...I'll be running to the store tonight. ;)

Zu Zu
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:21 PM

I emailed Wedgewood Pharmacy and they will not sell me flavoring. :(

He's what they wrote:
"Thank you for your inquiry. We do not sell flavorings. You may want to check a flavor supplier for you request online.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact Customer Care at 1-800-331-8272. We want to make every effort to assist and make it as easy as possible to do business with Wedgewood Pharmacy.

Thank you."

What the heck is a flavor supplier? CVS looked at me like I had 5 heads when I asked.
Sorry you were unable to get some watermelon flavoring - I was sent to a pharmacy by my cat vet to get tuna flavored meds - special mixture with that flavor. Actually I was given a choice of several flavors- like chicken and I chose tuna for this particular cat. I was lead to believe that anyone could access this flavoring mixtures. Again ~ I am sorry and hope the Arizona tea that was suggested by Misty Blue will work out for you and Kiwi. Most of all wishing you and Kiwi GOOD LUCK !

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:34 PM
Google "watermelon flavoring". You will get a bunch of hits, plenty of places to buy it.

For example:

http://confectionery-house.amazonwebstore.com/LorAnn-Watermelon-Flavor/M/B0008D6VRK.htm

Kiwayu
Dec. 4, 2009, 07:23 AM
Google "watermelon flavoring". You will get a bunch of hits, plenty of places to buy it.

For example:

http://confectionery-house.amazonwebstore.com/LorAnn-Watermelon-Flavor/M/B0008D6VRK.htm

I just ordered the apple and watermelon flavor. :)

cloudyandcallie
Dec. 4, 2009, 07:49 AM
Oh good. Now all of us, I will today, should go to the grocery store(s) and find watermelon flavoring to send to you.

I'd also put it on his watered down cubes and hay and give him all the watermelon flavoring Kiwayu will eat or drink!

BTW, perhaps that Wedgewood pharm would send you something that is watermelon flavored? Any over the counter benign-to-Kiwayu something flavored with watermelon flavoring? Always some way to get around rules and regs.

And since watermelon is so full of sugar, perhaps adding some sugar to Kiwayu's water will make him drink?

ManyDogs
Dec. 4, 2009, 08:02 AM
When we lived in Alaska I would add molasses to warm water so my two wouldn't eat snow.
All four of the ones I have now are good drinkers, but if they get beet pulp I really soak it and that helps. I also would add beet pulp to water, similar to what others have said, and make a soup.
My Perch X loves Diet Coke.
I tried beer with everyone and it was a no go. I was kind of surprised.
My CB/TB likes to splash around in the water tub to get that good earthy taste, I guess.

Zu Zu
Dec. 4, 2009, 08:44 AM
Good news ~ glad you found some watermelon flavoring ~ Jingles for this to work !

blue&blond
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:24 AM
Here's hoping the flavoring will do the trick!

I've been thinking a lot about your post since you originally posted. You got a lot of good suggestions here but I have to tell you about my weird experience.

My horses are kept in outside corrals over the night and they open to turnout for the day time. I moved horses around, kept water buckets where they originally were.

I keep my buckets very clean, dumped and rinsed every day and sometimes twice a day. BUT my mare (who has since passed on) would NOT drink out of her new corral's bucket.

I fought this for days. She would drink out of anyone else's bucket when turned out.

Finally, I switched buckets around and that did the trick. For some weird reason she just didn't like the one that was in her corral. I was a different color then she was use to. If I remember correctly hers was blue and she didn't like the green one. The kicker? As soon as I moved the green one to another corral, she'd drink out of it when she could.

Who knows what was going on in her head. I was just so relieved that by giving her a different bucket she was drinking overnight again and then forgot about it until now.

My point is, try a different bucket like someone else here suggested.

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 4, 2009, 12:08 PM
They also make watermelon flavor jello mix. I'll tell you, my horses love jello mix, and the added bonus is their hooves and coats are looking great. I sprinkle about 1/8 cup on each of their grain rations. Might want to run to the grocery store and pick up some of that while waiting for your flavoring drops to come in?

cloudyandcallie
Dec. 4, 2009, 02:42 PM
I think I mentioned jello watermelon flavor a while back but...............
ok there are walgreen's in NYC.
in my walgreen's there is a slightly less than 1/2 bottle of watermelon "flavoring."

So I asked to buy it. Cannot buy it as it's "not for resale." So I offer $50 for a bottle of sterile water, with the bottle of watermelon flavoring thrown in. No can do. Walgreen's rules (where are they published?:confused:) are that the flavoring must be put in prescription drugs only.

Ok, I can handle that, so I say OK if my vet calls in a prescription for Bute or Isoxsuprine or SMZs (all which I have) then can my vet also say to put that bottle, that brown bottle in the head pharmacist's hand, in with my prescription? NO.

The "flavoring" is very concentrated and only requires a few drops. Plus they would have to order my Bute or whatever, since they don't have it in stock.

Darn it, well ***** it, this is the same walgreen's that fills all that **** drug doctor's script for oxycotin, and DEA hasn't shut him down, and I cannot get a bottle of nonprescription watermelon flavoring?

OK so I was not coherent enough to ask to read the label on the bottle to call the supplier, will do so tomorrow, altho I want to grab the bottle and throw $50 on the counter and leave.:lol:

So Kiwayu, tell your vet to go to Walgreen's (or send a vet tech) and get you a bottle of watermelon flavoring. Otherwise, I'll call Cloudy's vet and see if he can get one.

Catch 22 anyone?

Zu Zu
Dec. 18, 2009, 05:49 PM
Bumping this thread up ~ how is Kiwi doing ? I hope back to normal for the holidays?

Kiwayu
Dec. 18, 2009, 08:05 PM
Kiwi's been doing great-doesn't drink any water, but otherwise acting wonderfully!!! :D KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!!!

The flavorings arrived and did NOT work. I tasted it myself to get an idea what it tastes like. It reminds me of an apple and watermelon jolly rancher.

So, what has been working...Every morning and night I take HOT water out of the hot water heater (about 3 gallons) and add 1/2 pound of senior, molasses and some apple sauce. He drinks the WHOLE THING!!!! God only knows what his insulin levels are now, but it's got to be better than an impaction colic. ;)

I've been doing this for about a week 2x a day and his poop actually looks normal now. :) :) :) I refuse to feed Kiwi until all the water is gone. Many times he walks away from it looking for something else, but he gets nothing until he drinks. His normal water bucket never gets touched, so I just fill it 1/2 way and dump it every other day or so. So, here's to hoping the horse can live on only 5-6 gallons of water a day with no impactions....

Anyone have any luck with Tractgard??? Supposedly it pulls water into the GI tract, but I'm kinda suspicious.

Zu Zu
Dec. 18, 2009, 08:25 PM
GREAT !! Thanks for updating - he is one lucky boy that you figured out a way around the not drinking . "Jingles" to Kiwi & Kristen ~ Happy Holidays ! ~ you both deserve some peace on earth !

eventgroupie2
Dec. 18, 2009, 09:52 PM
We have one of our OTTB's on TractGuard - have had him on it since he was diagnosed with a sensitive stomach years ago. He does well on it, and it is supposed to make them drink more, but it seems to us that he just drinks normal amounts for a horse his size. Maybe he wouldn't without it?

cloudyandcallie
Dec. 19, 2009, 08:09 AM
Will Kiwayu eat chia seeds?
Someone on coth said last year that her vet recommended chia seeds to get water into the gut and help prevent colic.

Check with your vet first, of course, before giving him anything.

You can get great chia seeds from "getchia" on ebay or go to their website at getchia.com. Vegan and clean. And they have lots and lots of omega 3 in them, so I started giving them to my horse just for the omega3. (And no, he's not growing little ch-ch-chia plants for Christmas.)

If your vet thinks it would be OK, try a handful of chia seeds once or 2x a day. I read up on them and found that the Indians used to use them.

MistyBlue
Dec. 19, 2009, 08:33 AM
Kiwayu...yes many horses can do fine on 5 gallons of water per day. It's probably not optimal, but shouldn't be damaging. Some equine hydration reports state that 5 gallons is normal for amount to be drunk per day if the horse isn't in heavy work or otherwise needing extra water.
I'm happiest with horses drinking 10 gallons per day...not overly worried if they're drinking 5-9 gallons per day as long as there's a reason for them to reduce consumption. (snow on the ground that they've been licking all day or soaked feed, etc)
On average my guys drink 7-9 gallons...usually a tad more in hot summer weather.
Another trick I've tried for getting them to drink more is that I salt their hay. I've never seen salting grain work very well because they tend to eat that fast and then take one extra drink. But if I fill a spray bottle full of hot water and quite a bit of salt, shake it to dissolve all the salt and then fluff up their hay and spray it with salt water then they tend to drink more and more often. The salt sticks to the hay and it takes them a lot longer to eat hay so they're getting more mouthfuls of salty food to make them thirsty. Maybe that might help?
Although that much sugar in his wet treats isn't the best, I agree that it's better than a compaction. I went through the same with my gelding Moo a couple years ago. Very dehydrated and got RDC from that, and couldn't have stem hay or grain so 6 meals per day of soaked cubes and molasses coated dengi soaked soft were what he was having. Got a lot of water into him, but also quite a bit of extra sugar. (his water buckets were either apple juice and water or molasses and water) He got through it just fine, it was far better to have extra sugar in the diet than worry about impaction or RDC eating a hole in his colon. :eek: