PDA

View Full Version : Dually 3500 Truck tire recommendations

Cielo Azure
Dec. 1, 2009, 09:50 PM
Well...my truck tires are starting to wear and one blew a side wall this week-end while parked (all were replaced at 20K due to side wall defects). Prying out the spare and changing it was a chore, I can tell you! But it confirmed what I already know. It it time.

Hearing lots of horror stories about Chinese tires, off brands, etc this year and having had two tires go from sidewall defects and signs of the others going before the warrenty replaced them all got me thinking. I need GOOD tires.

Anyone have any recommendations for tires for a GMC 2006 3500 dually truck? I do a fair bit of towing and the truck does get used for farm, bringing in supplies (lots of grain). So, does anyone know of any great deals out there for new tires of high quality?

Any know of makes/models NOT to buy?

Movin Artfully
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:47 AM
Not sure about GMC. We use Pro-Comp tires on our Dodge Ram 3500.

We were given the recommendation by a huge ranch in Montana where they haul trailer loads of 3-4 horses on hills/rocks to actively cowboy up to about 55 mph and hwy up to 80. A lot of hauling in ice/snow.

We only haul on really rough rocky surfaces about 1 month of the year...and have snow from 4-6 months. We probably trailer haul about 14,000 miles per year.

We travel pretty heavy. 9-10,000 miles is with a LQ/4 horse fully loaded and the other miles are logged with 8 horses in a steel stock trailer.

We average about 1 trailer tire blow out a year over the last several years in the LQ trailer. This is with trailer being fully serviced/checked annually. I'm not sure why we don't have these tires on the trailer?

No truck blowouts to date with the Pro Comp Tires. Knock on wood. All trucks/trailers are maintained on a strict schedule by professionals/on time. My husband would know more. PM me if interested in specific model. I'm not sure which we use.

spotnnotfarm
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:42 AM
My husband is the manager at Butler Tire in Austell Ga. Give him a call about the tires. We have an F-350 so he can tell you what we have and what is best for you. Tell him his wife sent you:) 770-941-7422

monalisa
Dec. 4, 2009, 10:08 AM
I just put a set of Goodyear Tires on my 2006 Dually - got them at Sam's Club - shopped around a bit, got a good price on a tire that was comparable to what I had on the truck.

Tom King
Dec. 4, 2009, 04:15 PM
I wish I knew what to tell you. I'm about to need 6 tires too. I have a set of made for Sears by Michelin XCX/APT on my truck that have a few over 96,000 miles on them. They are not too loud but have good grip in 4x. I was going to buy another set but they are no longer listed on their website so I'm afraid they may no longer be available. I've never had tires wear anything like that long on a 4-wheeler truck.

I didn't set out to get the Sears tires to start with, but was off somewhere with the flat trailer and had two blowouts on the trailer. They were all I could get close to where I was. I just decided to take the OEMs off the truck that had 54,000 on them and put them on the trailer and put a set on the truck for ever how long they lasted. I would buy another set if I could get them.

Grataan
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:51 PM
I have had good luck with the Toyo M55s. They make a highway version and an off road/mud & snow/farmer version. I have the latter-this is my second set. I still have to chain up occasionally but such is life in snow country.

I have them on my vet truck and on my personal truck. I'm always out driving in mud/poo/fields after some damn cow or another in the vet truck and I do lots of farm chores in my personal truck. Vet truck is a 3500 HD single RW, personal truck is a 3500 DRW.