PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Doing In My Swamp!?

JSwan
Dec. 1, 2009, 08:32 PM
Have any of y'all heard of Swamp School?

For folks that have their horse farms in low lying areas, this free e-book may be useful to you.

http://swampschool.org/blog/white-papers/plant-guide/

The site itself may be useful if you're planning your horse farm, or trying to educate yourself. You might find that your fencing could be laid out a little differently (to protect water or keep horses out of muck), or that certain plants growing in your pastures indicate that your soil is too acidic.

Also free are soil guides, and wetland mitigation planning tools. Any of this information can be used by a layperson to enhance their horse farm and the environment.

Enjoy.

MistyBlue
Dec. 1, 2009, 08:56 PM
Good link JSwan...always a good idea to have as much info on hand as pssible when it comes to keeping turnouts dry and dealing with wetlands. Or even just dealing with rainy seasons and ways to keep yoour turnouts useful instead of mud pits.

FWIW...my construction friends like to say, "All swayle the queen!" when I start mentioning needing new and more drainage, LOL! Apparently I'm the queen of swayles, dry wells, run offs, french drains, etc. :rolleyes:
However, I do have dry mud-free year round turnouts despite being in low land surrounded by little ledge cliffs *and* with 2 road drains that drain directly into my grass paddock! :yes:

bird4416
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:38 AM
I am constantly amazed at how many folks build there barns in the low spot of their property, and then wonder why they have so much mud. Seems they forget that water runs downhill.

Daydream Believer
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:25 AM
Our farm is reclaimed swamp land...done a century or two ago I'm sure...nothing we did. It does drain well though and is slightly rolling land...quite remarkable for this area. Maybe it was an island?

I'll check out the link though and thanks.

JSwan
Dec. 2, 2009, 01:06 PM
I am constantly amazed at how many folks build there barns in the low spot of their property, and then wonder why they have so much mud.

Yes, a lady down the road did that. She really wanted to see the barn from her kitchen window. She could not be reasoned with.

Her barn is in a low area and her run in shed in a high area. Barn is a quagmire most of the year and her run in shed became a giant parachute the first time the wind kicked up. Tore it apart.

An expensive lesson.

When a person is looking at land to buy, or placement of structures, it can be hard to tell if the sites are good. Wetlands aren't always wet - they may not be obvious.

The types of plants and trees growing are your indicators - if you read the land correctly you may save yourself a big headache.

You can also use planting of native wetland species in a constructed wetland (like if you have an outdoor wash rack that drains and leaves a mucky spot).

Buttressing of tree trunks also indicates an area that floods or is very very wet.