PDA

View Full Version : spinoff: What do you wash your blankets with to get rid of horsey odors?

RegentLion
Dec. 1, 2009, 01:18 PM
My new horse came with a stable blanket that was REALLY clean and smelled DIVINE. At one point, it made my tack trunk smell so good that I was considering living in the trunk...:lol:

Even after a few weeks on the horse it STILL smells great. It even makes the other blankets in his layering smell good. Of course I had to know what kind of detergent the previous owenr used so I emailed her.

Turns out that they send their blankets out to be cleaned and so she has no idea. :( She lives in Wisconsin near Racine if anyone knows who cleans blankets in that area. I'm half tempted to find out WHERE they send their blankets.... this one was SO CLEAN and smells SO GOOD.

So... what do YOU use to get rid of the horsey/urine/yucky smells that seem to stick in blankets?

kookicat
Dec. 1, 2009, 01:31 PM
I think the most important thing is to get them really clean first. I lay mine out on the floor (over concrete) and use the pressure washer on them to get the insides clean, then flip them over and do the same on the outside. Then I leave them out in the sun to dry before putting them through a normal wash cycle or two, adding some fabric softener in the last wash. They usually come out smelling pretty good. :)

TrotTrotPumpkn
Dec. 1, 2009, 01:53 PM
I don't know. I wash(ed) mine as needed. However, in year 2 my waterproof sheet is no longer remotely waterproof. Not impressed.

FoxChaser
Dec. 1, 2009, 01:57 PM
We sometimes add the Febreeze wash additive to ours if they're especially stinky and it seems to work well. I've got a Thermatex cooler that had that awful strong dye smell even after I screwed up and let it mildew. I washed it in Tide Free and it still smells like dye. I think I'll try the Febreeze with the Tide next time!

mjrtango93
Dec. 1, 2009, 01:58 PM
Is it citrusy smelling? I always get compliments on how my clothes, saddle pads, horse blankets smell. I use normal Tide detergent, downey fabric softener, but then my secret ingredient.......a splash of Lemon Q! It is an industrial cleaner that is used on basically anything you want to clean. I wash everything I own in it and everything always smells fabulous. Even barn clothes that get re-worn!

RegentLion
Dec. 2, 2009, 07:21 AM
Is it citrusy smelling? I always get compliments on how my clothes, saddle pads, horse blankets smell. I use normal Tide detergent, downey fabric softener, but then my secret ingredient.......a splash of Lemon Q! It is an industrial cleaner that is used on basically anything you want to clean. I wash everything I own in it and everything always smells fabulous. Even barn clothes that get re-worn!

No definitely not citrusy! More like the "fresh linen" scent you can get in different detergents.

Nevertheless, I like your idea about the cleaner! I may give it a try.

jn4jenny
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:26 AM
No definitely not citrusy! More like the "fresh linen" scent you can get in different detergents.

Nevertheless, I like your idea about the cleaner! I may give it a try.

Rambo Wash kind of smells like that. Try sniffing it in the store.

It could also be some kind of essential oil, like tea tree oil.

KG1
Dec. 2, 2009, 01:45 PM
Baking soda and Tide...add a cup of baking soda when you put the detergent in. Works wonders!

hoser1
Dec. 2, 2009, 02:17 PM
Oxy Clean! You can get tubs of it at Costco. Put it in with regular detergent and really works to get the lingering odor out.

trubandloki
Dec. 2, 2009, 02:25 PM
I use Petastic.

They have a Horse Laundry Detergent (http://petastic.com/pages/equestrian.html).
I have never purchased the horse version though. I had a sample of the Pet Laundry Detergent (http://petastic.com/pages/laundry.html) and it works great at getting rid of that horse smell.

LLDM
Dec. 2, 2009, 02:27 PM
I use an older commercial Maytag front-load machine, so I can only use a minimal amount of soap. I use a heaping tablespoon of Orvus Paste and 1/4 cup of Oxiclean. They don't come out smelling great, but do don't come out smelling like anything at all. Which is exactly what I want!

SCFarm

talloaks
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:57 PM
You can add plain white vinegar to your wash and the odor should disappear.

tucktaway
Dec. 2, 2009, 06:08 PM
I second Talloaks!
Just today I washed a really (sweaty smelling) t/o sheet with Tide free and added some white vinegar in the bleach dispenser. Gave it a double rinse and dried it outside..no more smell!!

Laurierace
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:16 PM
Don't tell anyone but Odo-Ban is my secret weapon. I use it for everything from laundry to spraying it on pee spots. Its dirt cheap too believe it or not. Must be good stuff because I sold a used blanket to a COTHer who sent me a message asking how I got the blanket to smell so good!

Mali
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:39 PM
Don't tell anyone but Odo-Ban is my secret weapon. I use it for everything from laundry to spraying it on pee spots. Its dirt cheap too believe it or not. Must be good stuff because I sold a used blanket to a COTHer who sent me a message asking how I got the blanket to smell so good!

LOL - I bless you every day that I use this stuff. In fact, just threw some in the wash with some musty dog towels. Home Depot loves you too (since I send everybody there to buy it).

LLDM
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:43 PM
Hummm, and just where in Home Depot does one find this mysterious "odo-ban"? And what IS it exactly? Inquiring minds and all. Not that there's anything stinky at my farm. Noooo. :eek::lol::uhoh:

SCFarm

PS - It doesn't happen to remove skunk does it?

starkissed
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure what she used. I know that laundry smell is divine, but I only use unscented on myself due to sensitive skin, so I have gotten used to 'neutral' scent!

But the important thing with blankets is to wash them with a NON petroleum based detergent. And most all detergents are petroleum based (tide etc.) You need to use one of those Eco-friendly detergents. This will keep them waterproof. The petroleum kills the waterproofing quality. That's why they make "rambo wash" not entirely a scam!

I'd be careful using a lot of good smelling stuff on my horse and fabric softener. I just don't use that on myself personally and I wouldnt want to irritate my horses skin.
As far as washing my own blankets- well, let's say they don't smell like flowers! I put them on the lawn in the summer, get out the hose and scrub brush and go in by hand! They don't come out great, but I figure they will just roll again! Mostly I just try and scrub the inside to get the grime/grease off, I dont worry too much about the outside.

Mali
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:09 AM
Hummm, and just where in Home Depot does one find this mysterious "odo-ban"? And what IS it exactly? Inquiring minds and all. Not that there's anything stinky at my farm. Noooo. :eek::lol::uhoh:

SCFarm

PS - It doesn't happen to remove skunk does it?

In the cleaning supplies section. Gallon jugs. It has a light eucalyptus scent, which is much more appealing than the flowery febreezes. I don't think it's labeled for actual use on humans/animals, but it sure does the trick on everything else!

Laurierace
Dec. 4, 2009, 07:44 AM
I buy it for $9 bucks and change per gallon with a bonus spray bottle at Sam's club but have also seen it occasionally at grocery stores and target/walmart. Just don't tell them we are using it for horsey stuff or they will quadruple the price like everything else for horses.

AnotherRound
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:39 AM
I keep thinking "Soylent Green". No, that's not it. Its...its...SIMPLE green!! I put it in all my colored wash - boy does it get things clean, I mean squeaky clean, I didn't know my things were so dingy, gets rid of colored clothes and dinge, AND it smells great - its what to wash your barn clothes, clothes greasy from working on the car, real bad clothes, and I think it would be great on horse blankets. I hope someone tries it and reports back how they like it for a horse blanket, its GREAT stuff in the laundry, I swear to Dog!!

I've used the Odo ban from Home depot, and the Simple Green is better! Especially for laundry - I also get it at Home depot - 9.00 per gallon.

AnotherRound
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:41 AM
OH! Also! Simple Green is like really 'natural' and non hurting of humans and horses - people say you could drink it, I don't know if that's true, but its not a bad chemical thing, that's fer sher.