PDA

View Full Version : Conformation critique for over fences

JumpQH
Dec. 1, 2009, 12:43 PM
This is a 6 year old AQHA gelding, 100% halter bred. He's not very wide (takes a quarter bars Western saddle just fine) and is on the fine-boned side. His hooves aren't real large, especially for his size (15.1 hands). I was curious what your opinions were as a low level over-fences horse in regards to soundness, mainly. I would just do around 2'6" stuff at the highest, just for fun, maybe some local shows.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=51vugcc.2ssi5jgg&x=0&h=1&y=-nbq5dm&localeid=en_US

findeight
Dec. 1, 2009, 12:53 PM
I get a blank page on the link-just the Kodak header. Nothing that says view to click on.

PNWjumper
Dec. 1, 2009, 02:27 PM
me too.

3 is the limit
Dec. 1, 2009, 02:37 PM
Got a blank page too.

Without seeing the horse, I don't know if this applies, but I'll share anyway. :lol:

I am guessing since he is a "halter bred" QH, he is built reasonably downhill and has a very strong, muscular hind end. This is leads me to believe he'll land heavily on his front end.

You mentioned he is fine boned and his feet aren't too big. Jumping will obiviously put a lot of stress on them.

Also, for whatever reason, my Impressive QH would jump every jump (and I'm even talking ground polls) hard and pull his knees to his eyes.

You could probably get away with 2' all day long, but you may cut his jumping career short if you push him a lot at 2'6".

Again, this is just from the halter QH I know.

JumpQH
Dec. 1, 2009, 02:41 PM
Hmmm.....it was working earlier, now it's not!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=51vugcc.2ssi5jgg&x=0&h=1&y=-nbq5dm&localeid=en_US

Try this one.

My boy IS Impressive bred!

JumpQH
Dec. 1, 2009, 05:27 PM
Is the new link not working? Someone let me know! Please!!!

klmck63
Dec. 1, 2009, 05:37 PM
It's working, I'm just not any good, really at conformation critiques!

She's a cutie, though. And her hooves don't look as tiny as I was expecting. :)

JumpQH
Dec. 1, 2009, 05:45 PM
It's working, I'm just not any good, really at conformation critiques!

She's a cutie, though. And her hooves don't look as tiny as I was expecting. :)

Thank you! I'm glad I finally got a working link! He's a real sweetie, too. Very people oriented. About the hooves, see? Now you know why I wanted to get outside opinions!

SOTB
Dec. 1, 2009, 05:54 PM
He doesn't look too down hill and not too bulky. But, he does look over at the knee on the right front.

shawneeAcres
Dec. 1, 2009, 06:46 PM
I cannot get the link to work, but will say this. I ride and show horses of several breeds, QH's, TB's, app's, WB's etc. The average halter bred QH is not built for jumping. Now SOME do not inherit the traits that the halter QH is bred for but many do. The two biggest problems are that most QH's bred for halter are STRAIGHT in the leg joints. Usually accompanied with very short pasterns. This is a recipe for unsoundness when jobs that require a lot of concussion, like jumping are done with these horses. The other issue is if the horse is low in front and hip high. This creates problems with adjusting the stride and often causes a rather short stride. Those would be the two things to look for primarily. Additionally, most halter bred QH's are TERRIBLE movers. As in they can barely trot and when they do they look like eggbeaters. Now I LOVE a good QH, but not the halter bred ones! Of course, it goes without saying if it is an Impressive bred QH to make sure it does not have HYPP.

JumpQH
Dec. 1, 2009, 07:42 PM
shawnee - I sent you a PM.

Also, on the HYPP - he's been tested twice - N/N both times!

Ozone
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:25 AM
He doesn't look too down hill and not too bulky. But, he does look over at the knee on the right front.

Yeah I agree.

He is cute, I don't like his jowl/neck... scrawy for his body.

alteringwego
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:38 AM
very QH type. Probably fine for the local levels and maybe some small jumping but with his build he's not very well suited for much. IMHO

findeight
Dec. 2, 2009, 12:51 PM
You know, he is cute but I would not jump him much.

He is just not built for it. Specifically, he is kind of goose rumped-good for a slide stop or stopping a steer. You want one with the build to gallop smoothly around the course, that is the same build that makes a nice jump.

His build and the photos say he is going to be considered a short and choppy mover as a Hunter, he will have to add down the lines and he is not going to be able to snap the knees and round over the fence with a strong push from his back end-back end is built for another job, tucking under, not opening up to power off the ground. Going to be hard on his hocks.

This one is well suited for what he does now, you might look into Trail or Western Riding if you want to do something else with him. He is a show horse and nice quality, use him where he is best suited.

joiedevie99
Dec. 2, 2009, 01:09 PM
He looks cute- not too heavy, and his feet aren't as small as I was expecting. I don't see any reason why he can't start jumping. Start very small- 18" cross rails and see what his technique is like. If he jumps hard, knees to eye balls, or lands with a thud- I'd stop. If he happily lopes over without any real jump- your fine. Honestly, 2'6" may be too much for him, but I bet he could jump maybe 10 2' fences 2-3x per month, and do the occasional 2' course at a show just fine.

Just use common sense- jump only in good footing, and jump sparingly (a few fences a ride, as few days per month as you need to).

shawneeAcres
Dec. 2, 2009, 01:13 PM
After seeing the photos I emailed this back to the OP, just wanted to let others see my "critique"

AS I suspected, this horse is not built for jumping, or for much of a job in general. He is very straight thru all his pasterns and has an extremely straight hind leg. His hind end is "out behind him" that is his loin is very long to a short but steep croup making it difficult for a horse like this to step underneath himself with a long stride. His shoulder is also very straight. His rear is also quite "high" higher than withers, and that coupled with his hind end conformation will make it difficult to collect him. You can see in the photos of him moving that he doesn't reach under with hind hind leg very much, particularly at the trot. Of course, I'd rather see a video of him moving that a still shot. On the plus side his legs and joints look nice and clean and his hoof angle blends with the pastern angle. PersonallY I wouldn't want to jump a horse with this conformation a lot. I suspect he may not use his front end well over a jump with his shoulder angle, but sometimes horses overcome their conformation flaws and do much better than one would suspect! Just my opinion!

FYI I feel he might do fine as a western plasure horse, hutner under saddle horse or low level dressage horse, but he will likely be quite on the forehand and not be able to do much more than training level. I did tell the OP that if I saw a video that might change SOME of the things above in terms of movement, but his straight angle make him quite prediposed to joint issues, ringbone and arthritis, which the concussion of jumping will only amplify.