PDA

View Full Version : Working Student Opportunities?

Diesel9902
Dec. 1, 2009, 12:41 PM
Hi, I am looking for recomendations or pointers on where to look for working student opportunities... Preferably H/J or Eventing, but dressage would be ok too. I do have my own horse so the option to bring him would be helpful, but not required. Something on the East coast would be better, but open to other options. as far as the stable I really dont care about a "big name" or w.e, just someone who is respectable and treats their employees well. ideas?

findeight
Dec. 1, 2009, 01:06 PM
Need to keep this general with no specifics or it might look like a position wanted ad and get yanked. And are you talking about a paid job as an employee or a true WS labor in exchange for saddle time and board (for you, not the horse)?

Best bet would be thru your own trainer as word of mouth is about the only way you can get either one of these positions. You might look at the COTH classifieds and Yard and Groom.

In general, the best chances for either job or WS position are if you are not currently in school, have a drivers license, can relocate, can travel with the barn, can get along with the rest of the staff on the road and at home and you need to have some savings to live on as even the paid entry level positions don't pay much.

Bringing a horse of your own is impractical and-if the trainer is a good one- you won't be able to put in enough hours to offset board, lesson and training costs and you sure won't make enough even if there is a small salary. Exception might be made for a horse capable of being used for lessons or leasing out so an income creating asset.

Bottom line, my own barn gets all kinds of letters and inquiries about entry level postions or working student slots and even has people just showing up or asking at the shows. Lots of competition for these positions. The more flexible you are, the more you can offer them and the less financially you expect out of it, the better chance you have.

Pony Soprano
Dec. 1, 2009, 04:03 PM
Check out yardandgroom.com They have many wonderful opportunities with top barns.

Not So Practical Horse(WO)man
Dec. 1, 2009, 07:41 PM
Tatra Farm in Clinton Corners, NY

I know they have a working student program. I dont know too much about about it but Pat is wonderful and an incredible teachers. I took a clinic with her once and see her around at horse shows...she's always willing to help out a lost person in the show ring or anyone in need really

toomanymares
Dec. 1, 2009, 09:42 PM
Sent you a pm.