PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an old win photo...Help?

kari
Dec. 1, 2009, 10:25 AM
I realize this may be an odd question, but my friend's dear TB passed earlier this year, and I was wondering if there was any way that I could find/buy a race win photo of him for her this year for the holidays. The last race I can find that he ran in was at Suffolk Downs in 1993, and before that he ran at Rockingham and the Meadowlands. He raced for 5 years and came off the track sound, and had a very successful jumping career later on. If anyone could help or offer advise, it would be great. She's a great friend and this was her "once in a lifetime" horse.

mht
Dec. 1, 2009, 11:00 AM
What was his registered name?

LegalEagle
Dec. 1, 2009, 01:35 PM
You'll need to get his PP which you can get from a few places for a small fee...I use Equineline. You will need his registered name for this. Then you can find out the track, date, and # of the race he won. Then you will have to find out who the track photographer is at his "winning" tracks and contact them with the previously mentioned information.

I was able to get my horse's win photos from 1999 and 2000, so hopefully you will luck out!

Barnfairy
Dec. 1, 2009, 05:30 PM
In order for this to even be a possibility you'll need to know whether or not the horse had any wins (or very very close seconds) and where.

Plug in the horse's jockey club name in the new search feature on the equibase (http://www.equibase.com/) home page and you can find out for free.

If he has some wins, the next step is to get the date and number of the race, which you also might be able to get on that equibase search -- free charts come up for races from 1991 - present. If the horse finished second, the charts which come up from the early 90's may or may not tell you how far off he finished from the winner. If he was second by a nose/head/neck, he might be visible in the finish photo (particularly if he was on the inside -- if he was on the rail, maybe not so much.)

Chip Bott is the current photographer at Suffolk Downs. I'm not sure the extent of his archives, but Chip is a really nice guy and I'm sure he'd love to sell you some pictures if he can! You can reach him by calling Suffolk Downs [ (617) 567-3900 ] and asking to be put in touch with the track photographer.

Good luck! That's a great gift idea and very thoughtful of you.

Im Natives Last
Dec. 1, 2009, 06:46 PM
I just got a win photo of my mare from Fingerlakes in 1996, so it could happen! Good luck!

kari
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:10 AM
MHT- The horses registered name is Thequestionremains.
Legal Eagle, what's a PP? Sorry...I have no idea what that means.
I pulled his results on Equibase, he is a 1987 Chestnut bred in Kentucky by Mrs. JG Jones, Sr. According to Equibase he won 5 races, but from the info that I have here in front of me, I can't determine which races those were....and where they were. If anyone can figure out which races he actually won, that would at least give me a place to start! Thanks again for all your help!

furlong47
Dec. 2, 2009, 12:57 PM
This is the most recent win:

Suffolk Downs 1/06/92 Race 5

Then:

Rockingham 6/15/91 Race 2
Rockingham 2/13/91 Race 10

That's as far back as the charts go.

Possibly:

Rockingham 6/03/90 Race 10

as this was the last maiden race he was in; however, I can't access that chart to see if it was in fact a win.

Rockingham is a harness track now and no longer has Thoroughbred racing, so I'm not sure if they would have photos from that far back... the Suffolk race might be your best bet.

LegalEagle
Dec. 2, 2009, 12:58 PM
PP is short for Past Performances (I think). Anyway, it is a list of all the races the horse was in and tells you all kinds of information about them.

Well I looked up the wins for you:

Date: 1/6/92 Race #5 at Suffolk Downs

6/15/91 Race #2 at Rockingham Park

2/13/91 Race #10 at Rockingham Park

11/26/90 Race #10 at Rockingham Park

6/3/90 Race #10 at Rockingham Park

Hope this helps!!

kari
Dec. 2, 2009, 02:21 PM
YOU GUYS ROCK!
Thanks so much for all your help! Off to call Suffolk!
Many many many thanks!

Barnfairy
Dec. 2, 2009, 02:54 PM
I am PM'ing you some longshot information regarding Rockingham's track photographer from the early 90's.

missamandarose
Dec. 3, 2009, 11:35 AM
So happy this was posted!! Thanks guys!

In October my husband and I officially bought the OTTB I've been leasing since March. I knew he had a handful of wins, but didnt know how to find out the whens and wheres.

Now that I have the dates, locations and race numbers, do I just call the track and ask to speak with the track photographer?

Barnfairy
Dec. 3, 2009, 12:50 PM
So happy this was posted!! Thanks guys!

In October my husband and I officially bought the OTTB I've been leasing since March. I knew he had a handful of wins, but didnt know how to find out the whens and wheres.

Now that I have the dates, locations and race numbers, do I just call the track and ask to speak with the track photographer?Yup, just call the main number and ask to be connected with the track photographer. (Worth noting that some photographers are better at getting back to you than others...Chip Bott of Suffolk Downs has always been fantastic about calling me back and sending out the pictures right away, but I guess some folks' experiences from other tracks have not been as good.)

Congrats on the purchase of your horse, and enjoy! :)

missamandarose
Dec. 3, 2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks BarnFairy. He's a very, very special boy, and my husband and I both love him. A lot. ;)

He won two at the Fair Grounds and one at Philadelphia Park... know anything about the photogs there?

lily04
Dec. 3, 2009, 05:53 PM
Equi-photo at Phil. Park 215-639-9000 ext 3263

missamandarose
Dec. 4, 2009, 10:01 AM
oh thank you thank you thank you!!