PDA

View Full Version : Just a couple of quick questions.....

hallauer5
Dec. 1, 2009, 03:38 AM
OK, so here is the long and short of it all....well, kinda. I used to event regularly for as long as I can remember, I took a break to start a family. Now I am trying very hard to get back into the swing of things. I bought a TB mare this past December. She has done very well and I am very happy at her progress and potential. I have found a trainer that is willing to help us get competition ready for the spring. I really like to take lessons, plus do some clinics also. One small problem, I don't have a truck and trailer yet. So have to do the best with what knowledge I retained as a youth, I know things have changed....a lot. My questions are,
1.) What is the first thing I need to know about today's events? I know there have been many changes since 99!!:lol:
2.) This mare is weak on her left side, what are some exercises I can be doing with her to help build that side up? (We have been working on circles, spiraling in and out of the circle and lots of bending,flexing and counter flexing)
3.) OK, she has started to pull really hard after jumps, so I thought I would try a running martingale, then we had brakes galore, which is great but these were type of transitions if I barely touch the reins it is an immediate halt. We have only tried it once, so should I give it more time to see if we can find some happy medium, or should I try something else?? I hate to change bits for breaks, because she really does well in the french link. Just looking for some ides!!Anything else you think I need to know, that I have not asked please let em know. Thank you all who read and post!! It will help a lot!!

JumpingBug
Dec. 1, 2009, 04:24 AM
1.) What is the first thing I need to know about today's events? I know there have been many changes since 99!!

certainly not all the new things or rules so join USEA and get rule book to be sure but here are a very FEW that pop to my head..
**) NO more penalty zones before or after jumps :-)
**) Arm Bands for HT not sure if we used them back then.
**) You can not longer run like a bat out of hell as many did in the lower levels. These days you can get speed faults and a DR
**) whips in dressage HT unless it is a championship
**) New bits have been added to legal dressage
**) Amateur divisions
**) half chaps full grain are now allowed
**)

2.) This mare is weak on her left side, what are some exercises I can be doing with her to help build that side up? (We have been working on circles, spiraling in and out of the circle and lots of bending,flexing and counter flexing)

HAS the mare seen a vet or chiro yet.. Sometimes if it is not lack of good training technique, bad saddle fit, unbalanced rider it can be bad teeth, soundness issues, strength issue. But unless a horse has been racing or kept out in a field most are somewhat balanced. You do not mention if it is all three gaits as some will be weak with SAY the left hind stepping to the right rein but fine in the canter as the right hind supports the left lead..

"3.) OK, she has started to pull really hard after jumps, so I thought I would try a running martingale, then we had brakes galore, which is great but these were type of transitions if I barely touch the reins it is an immediate halt. "

What does your instructor think? Could she be rooting or pulling out of pain from being as you stated weak on left side? Does she get strong jumping from both leads? A certain type of jumps? At a certain height? Sorry but you do not really give enough info in 2 and 3 to give you a good answer?

pday09
Dec. 1, 2009, 09:43 AM
Oh, and if you fall off XC now its an automatic E... but lets hope that won't be happening!!! :)

hallauer5
Dec. 1, 2009, 11:51 AM
OK, so as for #2. I she has regular vet care, due to the fact that when I bought her she was a broodmare with a bad abscess and a nasty case of the scratches, and yes that is the same side she is weak on.When I bought her she was a 17.2 fugly mare, we had a lot of negative comments on ever being able to event such a awkward looking mare but she had 5 months off before I brought her into training, not only to heal the abscess but to get her healthy. I took her to her first combined test and the remarks were very kind, and the judge commented after the dressage that she thought she was a Hanoverian not a TB, that she has a lot of optional she just needs to go into consistent work. First combined test and she got 4th out of 6, so I was pleased She is a bit of a sissy(Big redheaded TB mare) but sound. I have yet to have a chiro come out, but have been looking around for the right one for us. I know she probably needs an adjustment. yes, mostly it is the canter that gives us our biggest problem, we have a very hard time getting the lead, and then holding it for very long. We have been doing quite a bit of walk trot and circles. The show was all walk trot, USDF intro B, and everything was walk trot, I find that if I add the canter it really blows her mind, and I want to take it slow with her, so I just have been doing quite a bit of walk trot work.

As for #3 It not only happens when we are jumping but also in the flat and on hacks, I thought it was her way of stretching through her top line but soon realized that was not the case. She has a tendency to do it when I want to take a stronger contact with her mouth. No I am not a puller or mouth snatcher, quite the opposite, my trainer has told me that I really need to work on developing a stronger contact. I see it in all my photo's too, long long reins, I really want to develop her moving into my hand and not away from it, like she does now. I guess these are things I should ask my trainer, but I was also looking for anyone that might have had the same problem.

Hey pday!! thanks! I hope I will not be hitting the ground much this year,LOL!! But thanks for the heads up! I really appreciate both of your input! I am going to post some before and afters real quick of the mare.

OK, so as for #2. I she has regular vet care, due to the fact that when I bought her she was a broodmare with a bad abscess and a nasty case of the scratches, and yes that is the same side she is weak on.When I bought her she was a 17.2 fugly mare, we had a lot of negative comments on ever being able to event such a awkward looking mare but she had 5 months off before I brought her into training, not only to heal the abscess but to get her healthy. I took her to her first combined test and the remarks were very kind, and the judge commented after the dressage that she thought she was a Hanoverian not a TB, that she has a lot of optional she just needs to go into consistent work. First combined test and she got 4th out of 6, so I was pleased She is a bit of a sissy(Big redheaded TB mare) but sound. I have yet to have a chiro come out, but have been looking around for the right one for us. I know she probably needs an adjustment. yes, mostly it is the canter that gives us our biggest problem, we have a very hard time getting the lead, and then holding it for very long. We have been doing quite a bit of walk trot and circles. The show was all walk trot, USDF intro B, and everything was walk trot, I find that if I add the canter it really blows her mind, and I want to take it slow with her, so I just have been doing quite a bit of walk trot work.

As for #3 It not only happens when we are jumping but also in the flat and on hacks, I thought it was her way of stretching through her top line but soon realized that was not the case. She has a tendency to do it when I want to take a stronger contact with her mouth. No I am not a puller or mouth snatcher, quite the opposite, my trainer has told me that I really need to work on developing a stronger contact. I see it in all my photo's too, long long reins, I really want to develop her moving into my hand and not away from it, like she does now. I guess these are things I should ask my trainer, but I was also looking for anyone that might have had the same problem.

Hey pday!! thanks! I hope I will not be hitting the ground much this year,LOL!! But thanks for the heads up! I really appreciate both of your input

Hey pday!! thanks! I hope I will not be hitting the ground much this year,LOL!! But thanks for the heads up! I really appreciate both of your input

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb61/hallauer5/?action=view&current=102_3312.jpg
http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb61/hallauer5/?action=view&current=102_3331.jpg
http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb61/hallauer5/?action=view&current=Aly20.jpg
http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb61/hallauer5/?action=view&current=Aly24.jpg
http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb61/hallauer5/?action=view&current=Aly19.jpg
http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb61/hallauer5/?action=view&current=Aly27.jpg