PDA

View Full Version : Sending Horse to Trainer for 3mos, what to expect

QHquest
Dec. 1, 2009, 12:37 AM
Curious to see to hear others experiences, opinions, etc. are on what you would expect progress/training wise after a 3 month stay with a professional. Obviously I will be discussing this with the trainer herself when the time comes.

My 5yo gelding's background, some schooling shows, hilltopped with hounds, 1 completed BN HT with 4 days a week on riding average, but will have not been ridden in 7mos by the time he goes for training due to me being pregnant. However, he has been turned out 24/7 in field with hill. No baggage, just still green when jumping and needs gymnastics, trotted about half of stadium at last HT.

TIA

DiablosHalo
Dec. 1, 2009, 01:32 PM
I sent two to a trainer 90 days ago.

One 6yo that had been u/s on/off (due to my time restrictions- baby, etc) for a year. He basically hacked around farm and did a few 2'6' jumps here/there. Completed one elementary event. Not fit, etc. He is now winning BN, schooling/entered Novice and will do training in another 90 days. He is a solid Prelim prospect so had the ability to move right up- just needed regular work.

Second is a 3yo 17h gelding that had been walked/trotted around farm for 60 days. He is now doing training level dressage test and jumping small fences and gymnastics.

They are both for sale and they both came together quite nicely with just regular work. Amazing what they can do with a rider on them and not just stand around the field for a few years!

Good luck with your guy!

Timex
Dec. 2, 2009, 10:44 AM
alot of it will depend on the horse and the arrangement you have with the trainer. for example, i've had some horses that in 3 months have made remarkable gains, and others that are just so nervous and insecure, that just being able to trot around the property without having a heart attack at the end of 3 months is a minor miracle. lol

and what sort of arrangement will you have with the trainer? what is her program like? i know that I offer 'custom' training packages, and prefer having the owners involved as much as possible. which means that *I* don't necessarily ride the horse 6 days a week, if the owners are coming by to lunge or ride themselves. yes, i have had those horses that i do 6 days a week, with little involvement from the owners, but that's not my thing, i'd rather have the owners involved, since ultimately, they're the ones that will be riding the horse. so it depends on what you're paying for, really. hope that kind of made sense. ;)

purplnurpl
Dec. 2, 2009, 05:31 PM
alot of it will depend on the horse and the arrangement you have with the trainer. for example, i've had some horses that in 3 months have made remarkable gains, and others that are just so nervous and insecure, that just being able to trot around the property without having a heart attack at the end of 3 months is a minor miracle. lol

;)

ditto
ditto
and ditto

maturity is a huge factor.
I have had youngsters bump bump bump up the levels easy as pie.

and others who finally learn how to canter.

I rode one for a year before I even jumped him. (he was a little anxiety case though)

it also depends VERY MUCH on the age of the horse.

A 6 year old I would have no qualms pushing. The 4 and coming 5 year olds I ride a few times a week. Usually twice on the flat. We jump a little (max once a week) and hack A LOT.

QHquest
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the replies. My gelding starts training 1st of February, my baby is not due until end of March and even if she arrives early I won't be able to ride until he comes back at the end of April. My main goal is not to have to start back at square one since he has had so much time off. We made huge progress the last 6 weeks I rode him. His biggest issue is needing gymnastics, loses focus when distances are related, and then moving on to cantering whole courses. He has taken a long time to find his own balance. I am hoping regular riding will help him progress faster. Otherwise I can take this horse anywhere and do anything with him. He has a lovely temperment, which is why I am willing to invest $$$ into him.