PDA

View Full Version : Suspicious Ride at Penn National 11/24/09

DickHertz
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:20 PM
Does anyone here watch replays? If so, check out race 4 from 11/24/09 at Penn National. "Moving Violation" was in front by many and William P. Otero sat on the horse like a statue only to get passed in the final yards by another horse. I don't think there's any way Otero's mount loses if he's driving him through at least the last eighth of a mile. This is worth watching for those of you who have replay availability. I'm not suggesting race fixing here, but if Otero fell asleep at the wheel he should apologize to everyone associated with the race either as a horseman or as a betting patron.

mht
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:33 PM
Just watched the replay. Was he hanging his head in shame as he got bested at the wire?:uhoh:

DickHertz
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:07 PM
Just watched the replay. Was he hanging his head in shame as he got bested at the wire?:uhoh:

Exactly my thoughts...what I'm perplexed about is that everyone with 2 IQ points who follows Penn national knows that you never wrap up on a horse in the stretch if Taylor Hole is within 10 lengths of you...yet Otero looked back several times and there was Hole on the favorite making up ground with each stride. Again, don't think there's any funny business going on here, but Otero deserves days for that debacle.

Prado Power
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:10 PM
Definitely got caught napping on the lead.

Everyone knocks jockeys for whipping and driving to the finish when they are in front by open lengths and seem to have the race in hand. That race shows you why they feel they need to.

lily04
Dec. 1, 2009, 04:27 AM
The stewards are aware of the situation.

Jessi P
Dec. 1, 2009, 06:58 AM
TD Houghton did the same thing here at MNR the other night. With HIS past you have to wonder if it's race fixing. He has ridden a filly of mine 3 or 4 times, we tell him every time to SIT til the 3/8 pole - every time he guns her to the lead down the backside. I don't want him to ride her again.

DickHertz
Dec. 1, 2009, 07:58 AM
The stewards are aware of the situation.

Of course, which is why there will be no suspension. It's Penn National...Oscar Flores ended the career of Joe Farley a couple of months ago by cutting off his horse worse than Theriot did against Rene Douglas. The penalty? 7 Days. I believe at least 2 horses were euthanized as a result of the incident as well.

If you want to see that complete ridiing indescretion, do a search for a horse named Langlady.

equit8
Dec. 1, 2009, 10:38 AM
How is Joe Farley doing? My wishes for a speedy recovery.

DickHertz
Dec. 1, 2009, 10:51 AM
How is Joe Farley doing? My wishes for a speedy recovery.

He is not crippled, just very banged up internally. He's young also which means he's still growing and probably won't be able to get back to 116-119. His prognosis is good from what I've been told.

lily04
Dec. 8, 2009, 01:56 PM
Moving Violation- 9th race tonight at Penn. Maybe Kendrick will ride him all the way to the wire.

DickHertz
Dec. 9, 2009, 11:55 AM
Won easily. Surprised he wasn't 1/5. Kendrick is now riding all of Hendriks horses at Penn (no surprise there).

lily04
Jan. 7, 2010, 08:56 PM
. Again, don't think there's any funny business going on here, but Otero deserves days for that debacle.
Otero is serving 30 day suspension and a fine. He deserved days but this is a pretty stiff penalty.

DickHertz
Jan. 7, 2010, 09:28 PM
Otero is serving 30 day suspension and a fine. He deserved days but this is a pretty stiff penalty.

I'm sure the people who wagered over $100,000 on that particular race would likely disagree with you - especially the one's who had Otero's horse.