PDA

View Full Version : May be moving to North Carolina....

PNWjumper
Nov. 30, 2009, 07:31 PM
...and I need help figuring out where!

I'm interviewing for a job within my company that might move us from the PNW to the North Carolina area....though I'm sure I'd have flexibility to live anywhere in the general vicinity (NC, SC, KY, etc.).

I started looking up farms for sale online, but quickly realized that I have absolutely no idea where to look!

I show on the h/j circuit primarily in the jumpers and would like to be within a reasonable distance from A/AA horseshows. Please note that my version of a "reasonable" distance may differ from many considering the fact that I drive out each day to shows that are 50+ miles and a ferry boat ride from where I live for the 6 days of each show (making it a 2+ hour commute each way). So I suppose I consider "reasonable" to mean within a couple of hours. Obviously I mentioned KY, so moving within a short drive of Lexington would be fabulous, but somehow I think that might be a little pricey? How about in the state of NC?

Any tips of areas to look? Areas to avoid? Pricey areas are okay, but we're certainly not unlimited in funds and plan to stay a pretty way from the million dollar mark. :yes:

So mainly I'm looking for "farm-y" areas with access to decent vets, horseshows, etc.

Help!

shawneeAcres
Nov. 30, 2009, 07:37 PM
I live in eastern NC, Raleigh is about an hour away, GReensboro about two hours, S. pines also two hours. Plenty of shows in this area from pretty competitive local circuits, "C" shows (NCHJA rated) and "A" and "AA" shows year round. Plenty of good vets and we have the vet school at NCSU in Raleigh. ALthough Raleigh can get pricey (as can S. Pines!) Just a bit east, like I am and very "farmland" and laid back, better prices etc but still 4 lane access to almost anywhere. I like it down here. There are not as many good trainers in this area, but again just an hour or two and you have a choice of some pretty good ones, although not really "big name" H/J trainers (more big name event trainers in S.Pines)

lesson junkie
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:48 PM
PNW-I live in the Tryon area-it's Horse Central in N.C. We have a big public access trail system, fox hunting, shows all year, trainers on every corner(good ones!), good vet care (including a large animal surgery) and a great, friendly horsey community. Land is more pricy than it used to be, but there are deals to be had.

The weather is excellent. It does get hot in the summer, but we're close enough to the mountains that the mornings stay pleasant enough to get riding done., and the evenings always cool off.

All that said, I've never been anywhere more beautiful for horses than Lexington. I don't know what the equestrian community is like there, but just to ride around and gawk at the farms will take your breath away.

alteringwego
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:49 PM
2nd Tryon!

khp vol
Dec. 1, 2009, 09:30 AM
I moved from CA to Lexington 5 years ago and haven't regretted a second of it. Property values are relatively high in Fayette County(Lex.) but drop off quite a bit in neighboing counties.

KHP has A/AA h/j shows quite often in the summer (about half the summer schedule), and, with the new indoor arena and adjacent indoor barns opening, there will be a couple of h/j shows this winter.

If you're wondering about prices, the farm next to mine, with 20 or so acres and a custom-built log home, is for sale and listed at $650k.

theinstigator
Dec. 1, 2009, 10:24 AM
...and I need help figuring out where!

I'm interviewing for a job within my company that might move us from the PNW to the North Carolina area....though I'm sure I'd have flexibility to live anywhere in the general vicinity (NC, SC, KY, etc.).

I started looking up farms for sale online, but quickly realized that I have absolutely no idea where to look!

I show on the h/j circuit primarily in the jumpers and would like to be within a reasonable distance from A/AA horseshows. Please note that my version of a "reasonable" distance may differ from many considering the fact that I drive out each day to shows that are 50+ miles and a ferry boat ride from where I live for the 6 days of each show (making it a 2+ hour commute each way). So I suppose I consider "reasonable" to mean within a couple of hours. Obviously I mentioned KY, so moving within a short drive of Lexington would be fabulous, but somehow I think that might be a little pricey? How about in the state of NC?

Any tips of areas to look? Areas to avoid? Pricey areas are okay, but we're certainly not unlimited in funds and plan to stay a pretty way from the million dollar mark. :yes:

So mainly I'm looking for "farm-y" areas with access to decent vets, horseshows, etc.

Help!Oh reeeeeeeeeally? This is an interesting development that made me smile!!! :D

We have family stationed at Ft. Bragg (Fayetteville)....and family in Charlottesville, VA, so we would definitely come visit if you do end up moving!

I know nothing about the horsey stuff in the area, so I can offer no help.....only excitement over the fact that you might be on this coast! Although, one of the girls I used to teach in Spokane moved to SC a few years back and may have some input/advice....she shows jumpers...I'll shoot her an email.

magnolia73
Dec. 1, 2009, 10:34 AM
It's a great region- Tryon, Southern Pines, Camden, Aiken. You can't go wrong in those areas- just pick what you like in terms of geography. My choice would be Tryon, though I'd get my farm in someplace nearby like Gowensville or Landrum SC.I'd not turn down the chance at a farm in any of those though. Also, in Tryon they are building a new equestrian center- so you might get even more shows in your back yard!

Charlotte can be difficult- its an odd riding scene- I think a lot of the critcal mass gets floated out to Camden, Tryon and Southern Pines and leaves Charlotte a little wanting at times. It is fine for more local type shows though. I just remember growing up in Cleveland and having so many good trainers and barns... and then Charlotte- there's just not a lot to chose from.

Summit Springs Farm
Dec. 1, 2009, 10:35 AM
Yea! PNWJumper! Come to Alpharetta,GA Its awesome for well everything, there are some beautiful farms for sale around here right nowtoo.
We have Wills Park 5 miles from us, holds local and A rated shows and for jumpers they also have city League, if you are familar with City League. (Its a jumper league with mega $$$$ in prize money)
GA International Horse Park in Conyers, where the 96 Oylimpic were held, now holds A;AA and local.
Chateau Elan has A, AA,Local, then there's Brownland had A,AA 2 hour drive, Tyron, 2 hour drive, Akien is a couple of hours I thik, haven't been there yet.
Then FL Ocala 6 hours, Jacksonville 6 hours
Ms Gulf Coast
PM if you'd like

MacNairs Country Acres
Dec. 1, 2009, 10:45 AM
PNWjumper,

I would heartily recommend the Raleigh area as great place to re-locate, and MacNair's Country Acres as a barn to consider. I am the Director of Country Acres, the hunter/jumper boarding/training/showing barn at MacNair's. We are just south of Raleigh. The Hunt Center, six miles from us, has many shows, including four "A" and four "AA" hunter/jumper shows. The North Carolina State Vet School, which provides superior care for horses, is also about six miles away. I would be happy to email you information about myself, our program and our facility. Our website is currently being re-designed but you can get an idea of what our farm looks like by going to our photo site: macnairscountryacres.shutterfly.com

If I can answer any questions for you or schedule a tour, please feel free to get in touch with me.
Thom Pollard
thom.pollard@macnairscountryacres.com

PNWjumper
Dec. 1, 2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the responses so far guys! And theinstigator, you'd BETTER come visit me if we move out there! I miss you! :D

It's funny as I look up farms and properties....I feel like I've been lied to my entire life. Up here anything 3 acres or bigger is considered a "farm." I'm looking at properties in NC, SC, and KY and laughing because THEY'RE ACTUAL FARMS! You can't find anything sitting on non-wooded 20+ acres for less than a million (and often MUCH higher) anywhere within a reasonable distance from Seattle. I just had no idea....

Thanks for the rec, Thom. I keep my horses at my house and have my own program for them, which I will continue when we move. I will be looking for a good dressage trainer (I have a fabulous one up here and she's the only person I take regular lessons from), and then aim to continue my regular clinics with Greg Best....which is bound to be easier on the east coast than up in my little corner up here. :) And my main criteria for "local" horseshows (meaning A/AA shows within easy driving distance) is that there's decent money in the AO Jumpers.

I was pretty ambivalent about the job opportunity until I started looking at farms in the areas recommended here. Now I WANT the job so I can move to "real" horse country :lol:

Sunny's Mom
Dec. 1, 2009, 11:59 AM
I second Raleigh as being a really nice place! My family has some lake property at Bugg's Lake over the border in Virginia - and we visit a couple of times per year. The ONLY bummer about NC is the ... SPIDERS omg. We went for a hayride last fall at one of my husband's uncles farm and there were HUGE RED SPIDERS hanging out in the trees. I was terrified as we drove underneath them!

fordtraktor
Dec. 1, 2009, 02:25 PM
Is Virginia considered in the general vicinity? There are so many wonderful A shows in Virginia, plus a strong local circuit with excellent jumper divisions (hard to find!). The Charlottesville area is perfect to me -- easy driving to so many great A shows, esp. the VA Horse Center, my favorite place to show. Though not cheap by midwest standards, farms are VERY affordable when compared to PNW.

bkkone
Dec. 1, 2009, 02:42 PM
I hear you on the PNW prices. I'm from Virginia and have lived in NC. If you can make the same money there you will be so much better off. I live near Vancouver, BC and looked at a 'farm' the other night..3 acres and a horrible fixer upper rancher with falling down fencing. All for the small sum of 1.3 million!! I'm dying to move back to either NC or VA. I really like Landrum or Tryon. My mom is in Raleigh and loves it. I think you would love the access to the show scene there.

shoponee70
Dec. 1, 2009, 03:44 PM
another vote for the tryon area .
I live just outside it in SC for the lower taxes but im still close enough to make any of the shows a quick commute.

Try looking in Landrum, Gowansville, campobello, inman for( spartanburg and greenville counties) sc and you can also try Polk County, ( mill spring, pea ridge green creek) and rutherford county (both north carolina) If you're going to need use of a major airport I suggest Rutherfordton co. or Spartanburg Co, both are about an hourish from Charlotte International.

Plus its near the farm house tack shop!! =)
if you do a visit, drop in there, they are really great about helping you figure out who to contact for real estate agents, and local information for land and boarding opportunities

PNWjumper
Dec. 1, 2009, 10:15 PM
Ah yes, now that someone has mentioned it.....I do need to be relatively close to a major airport of some sort or another. So maybe within an hour or so? I don't think much about things like that in relation to the East Coast because everything is so much closer than on the West Coast anyway.

Is it bad that the only thing I care about moving close to is the horse stuff when the whole reason I might be moving is the job? :D

RumoursFollow
Dec. 1, 2009, 11:35 PM
Oh.. the Carolinas are my home.. :sadsmile: :sadsmile:

I kept horses in the Tryon area for years (in Landrum, SC, right at the base of the mountains :) ) and I met some of my best and most treasured friends there. Its a horse community of people who do things for each other in an old fashioned kind of way. I miss it terribly, even though my life in the midwest is super. :sadsmile:

I know that theres a ton of awesomeness in the Raleigh/Durham area, as well. But oh how I long for Tryon sometimes!

As for driving, we showed mostly 2 or so hours away at most when I was there.. and there were lots of them that were "in the backyard" (A shows, local, whatever)

City League International was started by a trainer (and maybe some helpers) in the Tryon area and I think its not necessarily the biggest thing yet, it seems to be growing, and since you do the bigger jumper stuff, I figured it might be worth a mention because I hear the prize money is good. :)

Here's a link- http://www.cityleagueinternational.com/

RumoursFollow
Dec. 1, 2009, 11:40 PM
Greenville/Spartanburg has their own airport (aptly named Greenville/Spartanburg International Airport) its small and I wouldnt take the word International too literally, but most of the flights there are connected in some way shape or form to Charlotte, Atlanta, or (oddly perhaps) Detroit.

Fairview Horse Center
Dec. 1, 2009, 11:53 PM
My family has some lake property at Bugg's Lake over the border in Virginia

I spent every weekend April - October for much of my childhood & teen age years camping there near the dam. I really miss those trips.

magnolia73
Dec. 2, 2009, 07:21 AM
If you lived in Landrum, you could be at Charlotte Douglas Intl Airport in under an hour and a half. You can fly direct most anywhere in the US and they have a few direct Intl (London etc). It's an easy drive on an interstate. And you could shop at the Farm House every day. And be in Asheville for a nice dinner in a half hour.

FWIW, Landrum is an adorable town.

I want to move there. It's probably obvious.

tidy rabbit
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:48 AM
I would go to NC before KY. The winters are much milder (excluding those horrible ice storms they get every year) and it's not that long of a haul to KHP or Conyers or the Virginia horse center from NC. My SIL and her family live in Greensboro. There are a lot of farms around there and it seems like a nice place to live.

Would be fun to have you on this side of the country! :)

NCtoCO
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:48 AM
Another vote for Raleigh!

I have lived in Raleigh for the majority of my life. It's the standard by which I measure every other place, and it's the place that I always want to return to when I happen to move away for a job. I doubt I'll ever be lured away again because I always end up coming back anyway.

We are within a few hours of lots of good horse shows, locally at the Hunt Horse Complex, and in Southern Pines, the Virginia Horse Center in Lexington, and Aiken (among others).

We have an easily accessible major airport, good tack shops, vets (including the NCSU vet school as mentioned above), farriers, and weather. The cost of living is reasonable.

The only drawback to this region I can find is fire ants. I'm allergic to them and terrified of their rapidly growing population. Summers can be pretty hot and humid as well, but having the mountains and the beach within a few hours makes that a moot point for me.

Good luck with your decision!

mvp
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:59 AM
Good for you!

But:

1) What will become of your CoTH name? Kinda false advertising if you keep it, but kinda false advertising if you create a new identity>

2) When I moved from the Sticks of NY to a health horse-country part of CT, I had an enlightening convo with a CoTHer who had a clue to how things work in well-organized horse country.

Among other things, she pointed out that there was a drawback to being a good, independent ammie in a "union" town. It becomes tough to get help from trainers precisely because they are caught up in running their own, large businesses with plenty of paying and needy clients. If client pickin's are slimmer and barns less monopolistic where you are, then it's easier to find someone who will come teach you at home, or who will happily accommodate a busy haul-in client.

I just mention this because it was not something I had expected. She said a couple of her "good ammie" friends who had bought property with the expectation of getting "catch help" with trainers as needed had a hard time.

Midge
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:35 AM
Among other things, she pointed out that there was a drawback to being a good, independent ammie in a "union" town. It becomes tough to get help from trainers precisely because they are caught up in running their own, large businesses with plenty of paying and needy clients. If client pickin's are slimmer and barns less monopolistic where you are, then it's easier to find someone who will come teach you at home, or who will happily accommodate a busy haul-in client..

I haven't found this to be the case in Southern Pines. I have either ridden with or had my horses ridden by six different trainers and I feel I could call any of them again.

PNWjumper, Southern Pines is the bomb. A small town with terrific restaurants and great horse people of all disciplines. The Walthour Moss Foundation is over 3000 acres of trail riding. Moore County Hounds hunts that land so there are fun jumps, too. The Raleigh/Durham airport is a bit over an hour and Charlotte's airport less than two.

Blacktree
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:24 PM
Sorry, but you're not allowed to leave - you haven't been able to come ride with me yet! :winkgrin:

If you end up in northern KY, let me know - I lived that way for a long time. My vote would be to try NC or SC though...

It's funny as I look up farms and properties....I feel like I've been lied to my entire life. Up here anything 3 acres or bigger is considered a "farm." I'm looking at properties in NC, SC, and KY and laughing because THEY'RE ACTUAL FARMS! You can't find anything sitting on non-wooded 20+ acres for less than a million (and often MUCH higher) anywhere within a reasonable distance from Seattle. I just had no idea....

Tell me about it! I think that would be the only thing that would get me to move away from up here, the idea of having tons of acreage sounds sooooo wonderful... After all the work we've put into building our place here now though, I don't think I'll ever get my hubby to leave-

tidy rabbit
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:40 PM
Yes the dollar goes A LOT FURTHER when you get away from the high dollar areas.

I'm on 18 acres 2 barns and a house for what I would have paid in RENT for a 1 bed / 1 bath condo in the bay area. Ridic. And it's prime horse country. Green grass nearly all year, usable acreage, 2 ponds and more horses than people in my neighborhood.

PNWjumper
Dec. 2, 2009, 04:33 PM
Good for you!

But:

1) What will become of your CoTH name? Kinda false advertising if you keep it, but kinda false advertising if you create a new identity>

2) When I moved from the Sticks of NY to a health horse-country part of CT, I had an enlightening convo with a CoTHer who had a clue to how things work in well-organized horse country.

Among other things, she pointed out that there was a drawback to being a good, independent ammie in a "union" town. It becomes tough to get help from trainers precisely because they are caught up in running their own, large businesses with plenty of paying and needy clients. If client pickin's are slimmer and barns less monopolistic where you are, then it's easier to find someone who will come teach you at home, or who will happily accommodate a busy haul-in client.

I just mention this because it was not something I had expected. She said a couple of her "good ammie" friends who had bought property with the expectation of getting "catch help" with trainers as needed had a hard time.

Ha ha....thanks mvp! For you see my biggest hesitation in moving is absolutely what I'll do about my COTH name! :lol: I agree....can't really keep it, but don't want to change it....ack!

Excellent point about the trainers. I'm not overly concerned mainly because I try to do most of my training with Greg Best on whatever schedule I can put together with him, and I'm hoping that it will get easier to do that from an NC base rather than Seattle. But I will HUGELY miss the close friendships I have with a large number of the local BN trainers up here. I couldn't have shown the way I did without the help and support of 5 or 6 different trainers who helped me out of friendship when I couldn't afford to ride with someone "for real." And losing those connections has definitely been a big factor in my ever changing desire to move. In addition, I bring up my own babies (and/or problem-horse-rejects) and sell them. That gets exponentially harder without having the background I have with the trainers up here. I have to prove myself all over again.

I keep telling my husband that I enjoy being a big(ish) fish (or at least a known one!) in a little pond. It's awfully hard to make the decision to move to a place where I will undoubtedly be a very little fish in a very big pond. :)

On the flip side....I could actually own more than 5 acres AND have a house that was halfway decent. That's a big motivator right there!

PNWjumper
Dec. 2, 2009, 04:35 PM
Would be fun to have you on this side of the country! :)

Yesss....now my plan is coming together. It will be much easier to steal....er......VISIT your horses from the east coast :winkgrin:

scrbear11
Dec. 2, 2009, 05:31 PM
I train in Wilmington, NC. Right on the coast. It's a college town, beautiful downtown- not much of a horsey area. It's 2 hours to Raleigh, 3 hours to Greensboro. I love where we live though.

I moved down here from Charlottesville, VA. That is horse country... I have a feeling when my husband gets out of the military we will end up back there.

spmoonie
Dec. 2, 2009, 07:55 PM
Yea! PNWJumper! Come to Alpharetta,GA Its awesome for well everything, there are some beautiful farms for sale around here right nowtoo.
We have Wills Park 5 miles from us, holds local and A rated shows and for jumpers they also have city League, if you are familar with City League. (Its a jumper league with mega $$$$ in prize money)
GA International Horse Park in Conyers, where the 96 Oylimpic were held, now holds A;AA and local.
Chateau Elan has A, AA,Local, then there's Brownland had A,AA 2 hour drive, Tyron, 2 hour drive, Akien is a couple of hours I thik, haven't been there yet.
Then FL Ocala 6 hours, Jacksonville 6 hours
Ms Gulf Coast
PM if you'd like

Alpharetta is horse lover paradise! GOOD farms on every corner, vet/farriers galore, and you will never be more than 2 miles from a tack shop. :winkgrin: In fact, I think it would be safe to say that 60%+ of the horse farms in GA are located in or within 20 minutes of Alpharetta. Basically all of the nicest show facilities in the South East are no more than 3 hours drive any direction. AND Alpharetta is overall a really nice town to live in.

3Dogs
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:50 PM
ahhh, NC. :) :) :yes::yes:

look in Vass - sounds remote but I have a little farm that is next door to SP, is a five minute ride to the foundation - the GOOD part of the foundation :D- and so many riding opportunities in the SP area, so much to do, such a great little town - and Vass is so affordable!!!!

still have a place in Chapel Hill too - also a great area, as is Raleigh. Can't go wrong in this area of NC - SP 50 minutes away..........:yes:

PNWjumper
Dec. 4, 2009, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the recommendations, guys! It's been really helpful in narrowing down a handful of areas to look in.

So again, THANKS! :)

DMK
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:18 AM
PNW, c'mon over and change your name to "NolongerPNWbutstilljumper"! Then Midge and I will happily educate you about all the crazy horse people (the good kind) and all the Krazee horse people (you know the breed ;) ). Preferably we can do it over alcohol. :D

PNWjumper
Dec. 4, 2009, 11:11 AM
PNW, c'mon over and change your name to "NolongerPNWbutstilljumper"! Then Midge and I will happily educate you about all the crazy horse people (the good kind) and all the Krazee horse people (you know the breed ;) ). Preferably we can do it over alcohol. :D

I'll totally take you up on that if I end up making the move. Everything is better over alcohol! :D

timmryan
Dec. 4, 2009, 08:01 PM
The Sandhills area which is Southern Pines, Pinehurst, Vass, etc, is well situated and within a 1-2 hour drive of the Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro areas. The Sandhills area has a lot of well known trainers/riders in the hunter jumper world both locally and nationally. Also, as someone said earlier, there are many disciplines that thrive in the area including combined driving, dressage and eventing.

The real estate market as far as horse farms is pretty good with a decent amount currently for sale, some very high end but some others not too bad. If you Google horse farms for sale in Southern Pines you will find a good amount of results. Hope it helps.