PDA

View Full Version : Art Self Portrait (May Be Purchasing A Daughter Of His)

StilettosAndBoots
Nov. 30, 2009, 06:41 PM
Like the title says, I'm looking into purchasing a daughter of his. However, I can't find any info on him and I don't feel like pulling a sire report from AQHA ( haven't renewed my membership yet this year. Oops ;) ) She is Appendix, 16.1 and 3 years old. She is very well broke, but still needs some training. Is very sound and very healthy. And the price I will pay for her is unheard of. But given the economy, I guess it should be expected. Anyway, can anyone out there please give me info and hopefully some pics of Art Self Portrait.
THANK YOU!

ERollison
Nov. 30, 2009, 06:51 PM
Contact Taylor Hanes (HanesPerformancehorses.com) he used to own Stretch. I have worked with several Stretch babies, they are all sweet and nice movers. Taylor can tell you more. He is also on Facebook all the time. Hope this helps.

czgm7r
Nov. 30, 2009, 06:53 PM
Try 'Arts Self portrait stallion' google search. That Arts with an s. http://quailvalleyfarmsqh.com/sires.htm

Parrotnutz
Nov. 30, 2009, 07:06 PM
Like the title says, I'm looking into purchasing a daughter of his. However, I can't find any info on him and I don't feel like pulling a sire report from AQHA ( haven't renewed my membership yet this year. Oops ;) ) She is Appendix, 16.1 and 3 years old. She is very well broke, but still needs some training. Is very sound and very healthy. And the price I will pay for her is unheard of. But given the economy, I guess it should be expected. Anyway, can anyone out there please give me info and hopefully some pics of Art Self Portrait.
THANK YOU!

If you need the filly looked up PM me her name and I will look her up for you.
Not sure why the filly is a fantastic price? Usually QH people price them for their market and if she is not for the AQHA that might be reflected in her price. Glad to chat with you about it as all I have ever owned are appendix QH's
Love them!

FEIPony
Nov. 30, 2009, 07:20 PM
Just curious as to what you would be usuing her for - to show the AQHA circuit or the hunter circuit?

The whole Art line are really well tempered horses which for me is a huge plus (although there are always exceptions.) A fun fact is that the Art lines usually have really big ears (i.e. look at Indian Artifacts). Arts Self Portrait is a really well known hunter under saddle horse, he is also really big so I would expect this girl to grow some more. I don't know if this would be a problem for you if you were looking to start something over fences right away. I would be really leary of the unheard of price. Although the market is down, QH people really don't play by the same rules when pricing their horses. I would pull a good vet check on her to rule out any joint issues. If she does turn out to be fully vet checked fine, then I say go for it. If something should ever happen to her, she will have good bloodlines to market her as a broodmare for the QH market.

Really good advice to send an email to Taylor Hanes. I would be interested to know why he sold ASP in the first place (just a note Taylor Hanes sort of has a reputation for owning big HUS stallions who end up getting hurt. But this shouldn't reflect in the mare you are looking for since I don't think any of these injuries are genetic)
I hope everything works out!

Parrotnutz
Nov. 30, 2009, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE=FEIPony;4529694]Just curious as to what you would be usuing her for - to show the AQHA circuit or the hunter circuit?

The whole Art line are really well tempered horses which for me is a huge plus (although there are always exceptions.) A fun fact is that the Art lines usually have really big ears (i.e. look at Indian Artifacts). Arts Self Portrait is a really well known hunter under saddle horse, he is also really big so I would expect this girl to grow some more. I don't know if this would be a problem for you if you were looking to start something over fences right away. I would be really leary of the unheard of price. Although the market is down, QH people really don't play by the same rules when pricing their horses. I would pull a good vet check on her to rule out any joint issues. If she does turn out to be fully vet checked fine, then I say go for it. If something should ever happen to her, she will have good bloodlines to market her as a broodmare for the QH market.[QUOTE]

So True....I have never gotten an appendix horse for an unbelieveable price and I like to buy them as 3 yr olds.....
No presently looking OP so u r safe if you want me to look her up for you:D
As the above states....QH people will pay 60K for an Undersaddle horse that has been successful so gotta check out a bargain bigtime, please.
I only show USEF so I look for the ones with a really big step

Plumcreek
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:43 PM
Taylor stood ASP at a farm down the road from me, here in Colorado a few years ago. I liked his balanced conformation and he seemed to have a great temperment - good swirl. Taylor bought him cheap as an injured yearling and I can say that the fact that this horse showed sound US with that scarred front leg is amazing. Found the video; he did show at the height of the peanut roller era so you cannot really see his movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZNFQYg2X18

Taylor stood him for free that first year to well bred mares as a way to promote an unknown stallion, so I would not be concerned with the low price of that filly, her owner may not have paid a stud fee, and there are a lot of those free breeding ones out there. I personally would buy a filly by him, if I liked her.

They do not get hurt on his watch - he buys the ones hurt or NQR some way as colts because they are low priced, then he seems to reserect them as show horses or studs, gets a stud record established for them and sells them. Seems to be his business niche.

ERollison
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:44 PM
I gave Taylor the link to this thread, maybe he will get in touch.

StilettosAndBoots
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:55 PM
Well, she is being sold because they have no more money to invest in her. It's sad, because she can move. When I put the deposit down on her tomorrow, I'll send you all the You tube link of her being ridden. I'd love to have some feedback. I know the line pretty well, and I actually fell in love with anything out of Artful Move primarily through Indian Artifact lines. And I wouldn't mind breeding her to Skys Blue Boy or Luke At Me when that time comes. But I come from the world of saddleseat, and reining, and cutting. SOOOO weird. But all I do is study bloodlines and ride. And work, too. Bah. Anyway, I'm only paying $800.00 for her. She's already been x-rayed, checked by 2 vets (1 was mine and the other was hers) and the only thing she needs is a coggins. She's been started slow, but she walks, trots, lopes, is nice and collected. They trail ride her occasionally and she's never bucked or reared or bolted etc. (so they say). She's been started over jumps. She's everything I'm looking for.However, I would definately love anyone's opinion of her when I post the link because the deal isn't final until I go to pick her up. And I want to show HUS, but I really want to use her to jump. I'm new to the sport, but I have been jumping for years. I've just primarily been riding saddlebreds and I'm ready for a new challenge.

StilettosAndBoots
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:57 PM
No wonder I couldn't find anything. I was tryping in Art Self Portrait. On that note, I'm leaving the office for the night.

LSM1212
Dec. 1, 2009, 12:22 PM
Well, I have an Artful Move baby and I love him to pieces. Great mind. He was doing the AQHA circuit but that's not my interest. I do Hunters and Eventing w/ him. :)

Can't wait to see pics and video!

Movin Artfully
Dec. 1, 2009, 02:10 PM
LOVE his movement and the movement of the relatively few babies I've seen. If you don't buy her...send her info to me! :D

FEIPony
Dec. 1, 2009, 06:34 PM
plumcreek - sorry I wasn't aware that Taylor bought the horse already injured, I just know that almost all of his studs have had injuries.

Back to this mare. I think she sounds really nice and congrats on fidning a wonderful horse. My only concern is that if you plan to show her AQHA HUS she won't be tall enough. Now I know that 16.1 for a 3 year old is tall in most breeds, but AQHA she would be considered short. an HUS horse is more16.3 and up for AQHA. I know that it should be based on movement but QH goes more on "pretty and what's in" (that's just my opinion). I've seen numerous people who have 16 hand horses that move really really well, but they don't eve nget looked at due to the size in the HUS ring.

For jumping I think she will be a knockout. I am looking forward to seeing her video. She sound superb and for 800 bucks you've found yourself quite the catch! I hope you have a lot of fun with her and much success!

Parrotnutz
Dec. 2, 2009, 01:18 PM
So??? Did you buy her??? We are all waiting :)

horselovinfool
Dec. 3, 2009, 12:18 PM
I saw that ad too, what is the deal on her, did you get her?

StilettosAndBoots
Dec. 3, 2009, 04:13 PM
No, I'm not. I found something else with a little more training. She hasn't been ridden since this summer and the PM I received from Parrot helped me realize how much work she may need. But then again, for $750.00, it;s a good deal. But I could spend more on something that would need less time with my trainer. And every time I watch her video, I see more of a pleasure prospect even though she moves out quickly. I think it;s her conformation. But to make a long story short, I'm going to look at a couple of saddlebreds (My Niche). There's a really nice looking colt out of Its Hammer Time here in KC that they have for sale for $1500 obo. He;s been for sale for a while. Helooks like he would make an excellent jumper. He's built for it. Plus, he's super necky, so I'd love to see him turned out as a western horse. IDK .. I'm going to go check him out and see if he'd be worth it.