PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else getting postcards from USEF?

Comfortably Numb
Nov. 30, 2009, 04:17 PM
I keep getting postcards from USEF asking me to call them with my biographical information. Has anyone else gotten them? I see it as a waste of my membership money for them to print a directory.

cgray0983
Nov. 30, 2009, 04:24 PM
I got one too.

Perhaps for an online directory as well/instead?

Lucassb
Nov. 30, 2009, 04:29 PM
My *guess* is that the directory is produced by a third party company... who will then offer the directories for sale. That's how it works in other industries (like the "Who's Who in Industry X".) The solicitation is part of the cost of producing the book, and the revenues are split between the organization furnishing the membership list and the company producing the book itself.

Just a guess on my part - I suppose you could call and inquire.

hoofhearted
Nov. 30, 2009, 04:29 PM
I got one too. I just threw it out, but I agree, not a good use of my membership dues.

OAK
Nov. 30, 2009, 04:45 PM
I've gotten two and they went right into my round (trash) file. They want you to then BUY the directory for lots of money! With members names and addreses.I guess maybe someone might want. NOT ME !!

sarcam02
Nov. 30, 2009, 04:59 PM
I thought it was for renewals so i called to follow up. It was apparent to me that the person answering the phone was not affilated with the USEF. I was curious and I asked her what USEF stood for and she had no clue but continued to fish for my information.

I hung up and tossed the card out and forgot about it til now.

dotneko
Nov. 30, 2009, 05:05 PM
I called and they spit back info that the USEF
already had - name, address, phone, email, horses
names. Then they asked if I would support the USEF
by purchasing the book, for two installments of 49.95
each. I said there is no way I would pay to have my
information published. David has a lot of nerve putting
his signature on the card with it saying URGENT in big
letters. I am beyond annoyed with the USEF.

Dot

MHM
Nov. 30, 2009, 05:39 PM
I got one too. I just threw it out, but I agree, not a good use of my membership dues.

Ditto.

Not to mention that they could save trees and postage by sending an email instead of a postcard.

cgray0983
Nov. 30, 2009, 05:50 PM
The USPC did this as well this year...

MHM
Nov. 30, 2009, 06:21 PM
The USPC did this as well this year...

Yes! I keep getting information requests from them, too. Hello, I haven't been a member of Pony Club for....

Well, let's just say quite a long time and leave it at that. :lol:

lauriep
Nov. 30, 2009, 06:33 PM
My *guess* is that the directory is produced by a third party company... who will then offer the directories for sale. That's how it works in other industries (like the "Who's Who in Industry X".) The solicitation is part of the cost of producing the book, and the revenues are split between the organization furnishing the membership list and the company producing the book itself.

You are correct. Junior got one and called today. After he gave all of his info, they asked how to charge his credit card. I got on the phone then, and they gave the spiel that they have been doing this for USEF for awhile (never heard of this sort of directory), blah, blah, it costs $49.95 X 2 payments. NOT INTERESTED! Especially when I heard that USEF got 1/2 the money...

Darden
Nov. 30, 2009, 06:35 PM
I threw the card out and think that this was a waste of time and money by the USEF. Not good.

Mara
Nov. 30, 2009, 06:37 PM
What amounts to a phone book for $99.90?????? Good grief.

AndNirina
Nov. 30, 2009, 06:41 PM
Llikewise, I got one and threw it out.

MHM
Nov. 30, 2009, 06:50 PM
What amounts to a phone book for $99.90?????? Good grief.

Exactly.

I did see one of these USEF directories several years ago. In additon to the member's name and address, it also listed the names and descriptions of their horses, IIRC.

So I guess if you wanted to really tailor your marketing campaign, you could use it to send a letter to somebody with a horse. Dear Ms. XYZ, Don't you think your bay TB mare LTD deserves our super special vitamin cookies at her advanced age of 15?

Oy. :rolleyes:

Doubleeez
Nov. 30, 2009, 07:06 PM
I have received two cards and both went into the "round file". This is a pure waste of my membership money and I am annoyed that it is being used for a purpose like this. This is supposed to be a membership organization but I was not asked (as a member) my opinion of going ahead with this directory. Total waste of time and money. And what is worse is that the directory will be sold to
whomever wants to buy it, thus giving my name and address to all types of solicitors who will load my mailbox with more junk mail that I now receive. Shame on you Mr. O'Connor for going along with this.

OAK
Nov. 30, 2009, 07:15 PM
This is NOT the first time they have done this. It happened maybe about 5 years ago. Wait until you start getting the phone calls asking about the directory from these same people. Thanks for the "Do Not Call" system and caller ID !!

Nylar
Nov. 30, 2009, 07:38 PM
Oh, and they will call.

My college used what appears to be the same company to do a directory last year. I got a ton of those stupid postcards, and then they moved on to calling almost daily until I was actually home and could tell them I was very much not interested in anything they were selling.

Rockfish
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:01 PM
ugh my high school did this a few years back....trying to sell a $70 book of people I didn't care about then and certainly don't care about now.

Lucassb
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:34 PM
If it is any consolation at all ... I doubt that the USEF spent a penny on the solicitations themselves.

Usually the deal is the organization shares their membership list, and the company then uses it to contact potential buyers. Any profit after the expenses to print the directory are then shared between the organization and the company doing the printing.

Vandy
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:38 PM
Interesting...I just got a second one in the mail today, and was wondering what was up. Are they only sending them to Pro members or Ammies too?

MistyPony
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:46 PM
Ammies too. I got one and tossed it.

Invite
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:49 PM
I got postcard #3 today. Stop sending them...NOW!!!!

jumper27
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:53 PM
I got one too and called, unfortunately. I gave my info and then was pestered for about 10 minutes. I said I wasn't going to give my credit card and the person I was talking to asked for my checking account and routing number!! First of all, it is an outrageous price for a directory. Second, I was annoyed that the postcard gives the impression that they just want to update info when that obviously is not the purpose. For those that did not call, you are smart!!

Equibrit
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:54 PM
I think we have a reasonable expectation of privacy when giving our personal details to USEF.

Comfortably Numb
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:34 PM
If it is any consolation at all ... I doubt that the USEF spent a penny on the solicitations themselves.

Usually the deal is the organization shares their membership list, and the company then uses it to contact potential buyers. Any profit after the expenses to print the directory are then shared between the organization and the company doing the printing.

If so, SHAME ON USEF for selling us all out. You would think they would want to keep the member list exclusive so they can wring every cent from us, not pimp us out to every cause celebre that comes around the corner.

chunky munky
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:46 PM
It is a total sell your info to others. Usef and ushja sells all our info to many interested parties. Wake up and smell the coffee.

copper1
Dec. 1, 2009, 06:27 AM
I don't know, I like the directory. It has been very helpful to me in looking up emails, addresses, and phone numbers of horse people I need to contact.

Cookiewoo
Dec. 1, 2009, 07:52 AM
I've been lured into buying two of these "directories". The last one took forever to publish and in the meantime they had my credit card info and $$$. No more, thank you. Mine went into the round file as well. The latest one I have is listed as a 2006 edition, and is the third one published according to the title page.

slp
Dec. 1, 2009, 09:29 AM
I called and they spit back info that the USEF
already had - name, address, phone, email, horses
names. Then they asked if I would support the USEF
by purchasing the book, for two installments of 49.95
each. I said there is no way I would pay to have my
information published. David has a lot of nerve putting
his signature on the card with it saying URGENT in big
letters. I am beyond annoyed with the USEF.

Dot

All of my kids high schools have done this as well, and I just throw away the cards. They already have the information they need, they just want to sell you the book (available in regular cover or embossed leather for an extra charge!), or if you don't want the book you can get it all on CD, blah blah blah. :lol:

Go Fish
Dec. 1, 2009, 12:55 PM
I don't think anyone should be surprised by this...sounds like typical operating procedure by the USEF (AHSA) to me. :mad:

findeight
Dec. 1, 2009, 01:19 PM

No need, Lucassb, that is exactly what it is. Like a high school yearbook except you don't know anybody in it..and that information then becomes available to "select advertisers".

Throw it out like I have been doing for about 10 years now-comes about every 3 years.

USEF and USHJA have all of the information I care to disclose with my membership. IIRC, you have to pay extra to include much info on a business and/or farm.

Oh, and if you have a kid in organized sports like gymnsatics, figure skating or in dance? guess what? You get these too...and pay and see your kid in a one inch square on page 146 in a glossy publication dominated by full page pics and bios paid for by doting parents touting them as the next Olympic champions or Ballroom greats.

No thanks.

War Admiral
Dec. 1, 2009, 01:24 PM

Hey listen, postcards are a lot better than the fifteen (LITERALLY 15 - I counted, one day, b/c the reps had used up all the space on my answering machine! :eek:) phone calls we all used to get the last time they did this. Not to mention half a hundred spam e-mails every day. More than anything this was what made me drop my USEF membership.

I'm gonna have to rejoin for next year, but thanks for the friendly reminder of how much "fun" it is. :no:

Hunter_Rider
Dec. 14, 2009, 10:59 PM
The company that is doing this is Harris Communications. based out of White Plains, NY, their telemarketing division is located in Norfolk, VA. The reason why I know this is because 20 years ago I worked for the company as a computer programmer. They are a publishing company that specialized back in the late 80's in College and High School alumni directories. Since then they have branched out and are doing other associations as well. I must say, I stayed with them for 5 years, but most of the information they gathered was incorrect if people did not update their biographical information. I would say on average over 1/2 of the directory would be incorrect or have OLD information. NOT worth the money. I myself threw out the postcard.

M. O'Connor
Dec. 15, 2009, 08:21 AM
I would guess that these sorts of directories are pretty obsolete nowadays. For about ten minutes, back in the mid-70's, they might have been handy to have around or be listed in. Now, if you want to get in touch with someone, you search Facebook, Google them, or do lookups on Whitepages.com.

I certainly won't provide my information to them (which they, in turn, sell to marketers). And I find it a little alarming that they also include juniors in their listings.

It's one example of an area that USEF could stand to clean up operational waste in. I'm sure there are others.

nuts4cowboybutts
Dec. 15, 2009, 09:51 AM
Most of you have disregarded the cards and have found this to be an expensive arrangement to get an "address book."

It seems to me those that do fall for this will be getting a very incomplete book since most people are not sending in their information. Two hefty payments later and the people who buy the book get only the information only of those other folks who also spent the money. It sounds like it is an "ego book."

MHM
Dec. 15, 2009, 11:17 AM
I threw out each postcard. Now they've started sending me emails. :rolleyes:

Giddy-up
Dec. 15, 2009, 11:49 AM
I threw out each postcard. Now they've started sending me emails. :rolleyes:

Yup. The emails started last week. I think they might have called my home, but I didn't call the number back.

*jumper*
Dec. 15, 2009, 04:09 PM
Got two and an email and finally called. Complete waste of time...some guy basically repeated all my information to me and then made multiple attempts to sell me a book. Nooo thanks...but wait, how about a cd of all member listings for $24? Really??

MHM
Dec. 17, 2009, 03:35 PM
Yesterday I got both a postcard AND an email. Both of them said Final Notice.

One can only hope!

suniday
Dec. 18, 2009, 07:36 AM
I got a "FINAL NOTICE" postcard in the mail the other day. I'm hoping they really will stop coming....

farmgirl88
Dec. 18, 2009, 07:41 AM
its for their directory and their directory book.

Jumping_the_moon
Dec. 18, 2009, 07:58 AM
I got a "FINAL NOTICE" postcard in the mail the other day. I'm hoping they really will stop coming....

I got that too. Quite irritating.

MHM
Dec. 30, 2009, 12:28 PM
Ugh.

I just got ANOTHER email that said Final Notice. That's what the last one said! Has the meaning of the word "final" changed?

Or to quote The Princess Bride:

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Jaegermonster
Dec. 30, 2009, 12:31 PM
I've gotten several cards and emails about it and they all have gone in the trash.
If this company has the membership list then that's all they need. And I really don't appreciate USEF allowing our member info to be used in this manner either..

Giddy-up
Dec. 30, 2009, 12:46 PM
I got like my 3rd FINAL notice email. This was after all the previous email & postcards.

I really hope this is FINAL. :rolleyes:

RAM
Dec. 30, 2009, 04:17 PM
I just got a "Last Chance" postcard. Hope this is the end.

MyGiantPony
Dec. 30, 2009, 04:24 PM
Ugh.

I just got ANOTHER email that said Final Notice. That's what the last one said! Has the meaning of the word "final" changed?

Or to quote The Princess Bride:

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

OT, but I have to admit to a little bit of a girl crush on anyone who can quote the Princess Bride at opportune moments. :lol:

MHM
Dec. 30, 2009, 05:18 PM
Um, thanks. I guess.

Really, that whole movie is so quotable, if you just walk around spouting the dialogue, you're likely to stumble across opportune moments on a pretty regular basis. :lol:

mroades
Dec. 30, 2009, 07:02 PM
wonder how much of my 110 bucks is going to all the FINAL notices...deleted my FINAL FINAL notice today...uggh

Giddy-up
Dec. 31, 2009, 09:25 AM
I just got a "Last Chance" postcard. Hope this is the end.

oh crap...I still have to get those then. So much for FINAL. :lol:

suniday
Dec. 31, 2009, 09:40 AM
Yep - the word "final" has lost it's meaning... Let's see if "last chance" still actually means that! Anyone want to place bets?

Skip's Rider
Dec. 31, 2009, 11:19 PM
Yes, I was threatened with the final notice too and said, "Thank goodness!!!" What a waste of resources.

Giddy-up
Jan. 4, 2010, 09:48 AM
I got my "last chance" postcard over the weekend. Perhaps they thought I missed my final last chance email?

camohn
Jan. 4, 2010, 10:11 AM
Ditto.

Not to mention that they could save trees and postage by sending an email instead of a postcard.

I got both email and card. You could check the USEF info online so I did that. FWIW half the info they had was wrong (horses names mis spelled, wrong DOB etc) so I did correct it. If it's going to be printed it may as well be right!! I would not spend the bucks to buy the book though.