PDA

View Full Version : Summer Bird to be transferred from Tim Ice to Tim Ritchey

Glimmerglass
Nov. 30, 2009, 03:40 PM
It might be a overlap of articles, but one suggested a solid 4-yr old campaign after evaluation was still in the works. That had been the plan before the injury in Japan, but is it still feasible?

This article - and not to downplay the injury - makes it seem far from career ending: "Summer Bird out of Japan Cup Dirt ...." (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/news/article.cgi?id=17059)

According to the Japan Racing Association, Summer Bird came out of his Sunday exercise with a metacarpus fracture in his right foreleg.

Subsequent reports specify that the colt was diagnosed with a bone chip in his right front fetlock. Plans call for Summer Bird to ship to Kentucky, where further decisions regarding his course of treatment and future racing career will be made.

KentuckyTBs
Nov. 30, 2009, 05:55 PM
Hmmm maybe, just maybe he'll end up at the farm I work at for rehab! ;-) One can only hope! I love getting to meet the big wigs!

texang73
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:56 PM
Bummer he's out of the Japan Cup Dirt, that would've been neat to see how it went, but glad to hear that his injury is not life-threatening.

Glimmerglass
Dec. 1, 2009, 12:12 AM
A bit more from this evening's Daily Racing Form (11/30/09) (http://drf.com/news/article/109266.html) - excerpt

Summer Bird, who was injured following a workout Sunday at Hanshin Racecourse near Osaka, was first believed to have sustained a small bone chip in his right front ankle. But Jayaraman said that the Japanese veterinarian who X-rayed the horse did not speak English and the true diagnosis was lost in translation. It was when the X-rays were reviewed by Jayaraman, who is a cardiologist, and Tim Ice, who trains Summer Bird, that the fracture was confirmed.

"It's almost like someone made a little scratch on the glass when you look on the X-ray," said Jayaraman.

He said the fracture is located in the lower portion of the cannon bone. X-rays have been sent to a Colorado veterinarian that Jayaraman has used with success in the past. Jayaraman thought a screw may need to be placed in the fracture line to enhance the healing process, and he felt the surgery could be done in either Los Angeles or Colorado. However, he added that such decisions are to be made when Summer Bird gets back to North America.

Jayaraman said Summer Bird is comfortable, and he is hopeful he will return to the races in 2010.

FatDinah
Dec. 1, 2009, 08:39 AM
That's handy for a trainer - when the horse's owner can interpret X-rays.

I dunno, it's at least 60-40 he'll go to stud.

Glimmerglass
Dec. 6, 2009, 12:14 AM
An update

DRF Dec 5, 2009 "Summer Bird appears fine" (http://drf.com/news/article/109376.html)

Summer Bird, the nation's leading 3-year-old in 2009, underwent successful surgery to mend a nondisplaced fracture of the cannon bone of his right foreleg on Friday and could return to trainer Tim Ice's winter base in Arkansas as soon as the middle of this week.

The surgery, to install a stabilizing screw, was conducted in a backstretch hospital at Hollywood Park. Summer Bird will remain in California for a few days while his condition is assessed, and could be flown to Oaklawn Park on Wednesday if he has recovered sufficiently, Ice said.

"The surgery went excellent," Ice said on Friday. "We have a good prognosis. We'll look at him Tuesday. If he looks good Tuesday night, he'll fly out on Wednesday morning."

Ice said that Summer Bird is expected to return to training by the spring.

Ice envisions having Summer Bird ready for a return to racing by the summertime, possibly for the Saratoga meeting.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 14, 2010, 01:28 PM
Further positive updates from the DRF Jan 14 2010 (http://drf.com/news/article/110078.html) - he's now at Oaklawn for the winter:

"As long as everything goes right and there are no setbacks, we'll start him training March 1," Ice said. "I don't think the time off is going to be a huge issue, because he ran all summer and fall."

"As far as a campaign this year, we're looking to go to Belmont this summer, so when he's ready, we'll start looking for a race," Ice said. "The main thing is not pushing him.

"I think the best is ahead of him as long as everything goes right once we get back. I really thought last year, before the injury, he'd improve as a 4-year-old. He'll be stronger. He was growing as we were racing him last year, and I thought that his 4-year-old season would be a very good season for him."

Ice said the ultimate goal for Summer Bird is a return trip to the Breeders' Cup Classic, which this year will be at Churchill Downs. The success that the horse had at Belmont and Saratoga last season makes handicap races in New York his probable route to get there, Ice said.

"I'm very happy with how the surgery went," Ice said.

Summer Bird is now walking the shed row. Earlier this month, his half-brother Indy Squall arrived at Ice's barn. Bred and owned by the Jayaramans, the 3-year-old is by the A.P. Indy stud Jump Start.

"He'll make his debut here at Oaklawn," Ice said. "He should be ready by March."

Laurierace
Jan. 14, 2010, 04:39 PM
They are going to start his training in March and run him in March, that is an impressive training feat. Or a bad editor.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 14, 2010, 05:16 PM
They are going to start his training in March and run him in March, that is an impressive training feat. Or a bad editor.

:D

Perhaps he's just like an iron, "just plug it in, add water and you'll be good to go"

FatDinah
Jan. 14, 2010, 05:30 PM
That piqued my interest so I did some research on Hong Kong Squall, dam of Summer Bird and Indy Squall. She sounds like quite the producer.

They keep 19 broodmares in Florida and Kentucky, including Hong Kong Squall, dam of Summer Bird. She has produced five winners from five starters, and has an unraced (as of Oct. 15) 2-year-old named Indy Squall, by Jump Start, a yearling colt by Johar, a weanling Friends Lake filly, and is back in foal to Birdstone ...

Interesting, her own racing career was ended by a bone chip.

tbracer65
Jan. 14, 2010, 06:02 PM

From the way I read it, they are talking about his half brother, Indy Squall's DEBUT in March. Summer Bird already had a debut (FIRST time out) -- it was March 1, 2009 at Oaklawn also.

Another tidbit of info....speaking of half-brothers -- Summer Birds 1 yr. older (2005) brother by Proudest Romeo (Summer of Summers) is still running & owned by who else?...Michael Gill (trainer Adamo)... entered for Saturday at Philadelphia Park....

Barnfairy
Jan. 14, 2010, 08:53 PM
From the way I read it, they are talking about his half brother, Indy Squall's DEBUT in March. Summer Bird already had a debut (FIRST time out) -- it was March 1, 2009 at Oaklawn also.
That's how I read it too.

The emphasis that *someone* (ahem...not naming any names) added later is grossly misleading.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 9, 2010, 10:18 AM
Wow - I know it happens and is part of the business but your man Tim Ice gets screwed here ....

DRF 2-8-10 "Summer Bird being moved to new barn" (http://drf.com/news/article/110667.html)

Trainer Tim Ice has been informed that he is being relieved of his duties as the trainer of champion Summer Bird as well as 24 other horses owned by K.K. and Vilasini Jayaraman. Ice, who is based at Oaklawn, said the loss of the horses will reduce his stable from 31 head to six.

"It puts me almost out of business," Ice said.

K.K. Jayaraman said Tuesday morning he will be moving the horses, but a final decision on a new trainer has not yet been made.

"I haven't decided anything yet," he said.

Blinkers On
Feb. 9, 2010, 10:32 AM
OUCH. Hopefully for Ice, his bit of success will bring in a horse or several. That bites.

DickHertz
Feb. 9, 2010, 11:02 AM
"Blame the Trainer" - it's so easy for owner's to do this.

Rubyfree
Feb. 9, 2010, 11:54 AM
Ooooh, that burns. I'm really interested to hear the reasons behind the move.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 9, 2010, 12:46 PM
Eclipse Award winner Summer Bird goes to trainer Tim Ritchey (of Afleet Alex fame) also there at Oaklawn (http://www.drf.com/news/article/110667.html):

Summer Bird was in the process of being moved to Ritchey's barn at 10:45 a.m. Central on Tuesday.

"Im looking forward to training him," said Ritchey. "Obviously, he s a very, very good racehorse, and hopefully, I can do as good a job as Tim Ice did. I m thankful to Dr. J for the opportunity."

"I'm parting as friends with Tim," said K.K. Jayaraman.

Ice said he believes a slow start to the meet, where he is 2 for 15, and a colt suffering a condylar fracture during a morning workout Sunday at Oaklawn led to the Jayaraman's decision. K.K. Jayaraman said he feels there has been a breakdown in communication between he and Ice. Jayaraman, who has trained in the past himself, has had a number of trainers through the years.

Barnfairy
Feb. 9, 2010, 04:25 PM
"I'm parting as friends with Tim," said K.K. Jayaraman.Some friend.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 9, 2010, 08:27 PM
Just how often does the owner drop trainers? Per the Herald-Leader (http://www.kentucky.com/232/story/1131425.html):

The Jayaramans have a reputation for changing trainers. By his own count, K.K. Jayaraman says he's had "82 different public trainers and seven private trainers," including himself.

Not much to add there other then Ritchey may as well skip buying business cards proclaiming he's the trainer of Summer Bird.

Drvmb1ggl3
Feb. 10, 2010, 10:32 AM
One the Jayaraman's horses was injured (condylar fracture) working at Oaklawn on Sunday morning. Ice didn't bother to tell them until sometime Monday.
Maybe it's not a simple case of "Ice=good, Jayaraman=asshole".

DickHertz
Feb. 10, 2010, 12:11 PM
I don't think anyone called the owner an asshole, I think people were merely pointing out that he's had more trainers than "Edddie" from Frasier.

Acertainsmile
Feb. 10, 2010, 12:30 PM
With those kinds of owners, you know when your hired your going to get fired... just a matter of time.

Barnfairy
Feb. 10, 2010, 03:24 PM
One the Jayaraman's horses was injured (condylar fracture) working at Oaklawn on Sunday morning. Ice didn't bother to tell them until sometime Monday.
Maybe it's not a simple case of "Ice=good, Jayaraman=asshole".I don't think anyone was implying that, but no, you're right of course.

There exists the possibility that they are both a-holes.

Or perhaps Ice didn't want to tell him because he thought he'd be fired.

Curious: how did you come to know that another Jayaraman horse suffered a condylar fracture which was diagnosed on Sunday, but not disclosed until Monday? In the DRF article, I read the part where there was a condylar fracture, and that there was a break down in communication, but I did not pick up from the story that Ice was delinquent.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 10, 2010, 03:34 PM
Curious: how did you come to know that another Jayaraman horse suffered a condylar fracture which was diagnosed on Sunday, but not disclosed until Monday?

Barnfairy I too saw that news cited here:Times Union Feb 9, 2010 (http://blog.timesunion.com/horseracing/tim-ice-summer-birds-trainer-gets-fired/3985/)

Ice said Jayaraman told him the reason for his dismissal was miscommunication between trainer and owner. Ice said he had an unraced 3-year-old — who he declined to name — come back from a workout on Sunday with a condylar fracture.

Jayaraman said the horse’s name is Heavenly Truth and he is in Ocala, Fla. awaiting surgery on Wednesday.

“He’s lame right now,” Jayaraman said. “I didn’t find out until Monday morning, nobody told me anything about it. They are like our babies. It was the final straw but, there a few other things going on.”

Not sure if he's the type of owner who wants a call anytime of day and for any reason with his horses - or else.

That said I'd assume Tim after being part of "team Jayaraman" for a year should've known the level of appropriate urgency expected with getting that kind of news to the owner.

Barnfairy
Feb. 10, 2010, 04:15 PM
They are like our babies. They are babies.

That's not a dig at Jayaraman, I know what he meant by that and think his concern is admirable.

His statement just struck a chord, that's all.

WinterTriangle
Feb. 14, 2010, 02:53 AM
Just how often does the owner drop trainers? Per the Herald-Leader (http://www.kentucky.com/232/story/1131425.html):

Not much to add there other then Ritchey may as well skip buying business cards proclaiming he's the trainer of Summer Bird.

:lol:

In the article where he got "fired" Ice mentioned he was looking for new clients. I'm sure he'll do just fine.

Linny
Feb. 14, 2010, 04:37 PM
There is a rumor that MaryLou Whitney might give Ice some horses. He made friends during the campaign last year with SB, so he may be able to get some decent clients.

I read that Dr J was upset that he wasn't notified about his horse getting hurt until Monday but there is no mention of when ICE was aware that the fracture had occured. Horses work and pull up and cool out on small fractures. They race on them. I don't know the exact situation but is is possible that the fracture wasn't found 'til the following day.