PDA

View Full Version : The one-sided horse

ellem
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:35 PM
The one-sided horse

Aerial
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:58 PM
Keep doing what you're doing...developing the muscles on the weak side. Just go back to the basics on that side and teach him, from the walk up, how to bend and move off your leg and collect. Start slow and work up as he gets stronger.

Serah
Nov. 30, 2009, 01:58 PM
Your horse just needs to be taught the other side. He was probably schooled one direction more than the other. Horses do not have a Corpus Callosum, which in very basic terms means that they have to be taught everything on both sides... they do not learn to move off your right leg and automatically know to move off the same pressure from your left leg.

That being said, horses can also be "handed" just like people, so he may always be softer or stronger on one side, but it would most likely benefit this horse greatly to be a little further educated on the one side.

alteringwego
Nov. 30, 2009, 02:09 PM
Good advice from above. You may want to check the the feet also. I've seen in many that they are one sided because of discrepancies in one foot from the other.

rwh
Nov. 30, 2009, 05:03 PM
I rode one like this last week. The trainer I was with gave me two suggestions both of which were great for getting my mare more responsive/supple in her bad direction.

1) Start to cut the corners way early (30+ feet from the end of the long side) and once you're well off the rail leg yield over all the way into the corner. (we did this at the trot)

2) Start at the trot and ask for the walk before you get to the corner. Then, thinking about bend, impulsion etc., use your inside leg to push the horse into the corner and then outside aids to square the turn a bit before going back to the trot.

Hope that makes sense.

Best of luck!

Summit Springs Farm
Nov. 30, 2009, 05:11 PM
Try from the ground first. Take the reins and kindly pull his head toward your strurrip, then ask him to move his hind end over by pressing your finger on his side where you would use your leg in you were mounted.
Once he gets the idea, ask again, get a response, praise!!, do again, make sure he is crossing over his inside hind foot/leg over his other outside foot/leg.

Then try at the walk mounted, then trot, after a few days you will be amazed!:)

rockfordbuckeye
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:11 PM
Er...horses definitely have a corpus callosum and it definitely functions. I think this myth has to go the same way that the "babies can't feel pain" myth went...