View Full Version : HEADS UP December Hunter Classic/Morven Park Canceled

Nov. 30, 2009, 01:32 PM
Just spoke to Gary Baker and he said there weren't enough entries and he was canceling the show.

Nov. 30, 2009, 02:07 PM
I noticed that the VHSA wasn't rating that show anymore....wonder what the story is with that.....

Nov. 30, 2009, 02:39 PM
It is the same weekend as the VHSA Convention and Awards Ceremony. Do you think that was a conflict for a lot of trainers?

Nov. 30, 2009, 02:49 PM
oooo^ I didn't think about that. good idea. but haven't the events run concurrently in the past?

Nov. 30, 2009, 03:04 PM
so now i hear it maybe on. i would call and double check if you where going. Im not, taking Dec off from showing !!! I so excited and so are the clients.

Nov. 30, 2009, 04:45 PM
Va2Ga, Can you let me know if you hear anything definitive? This is annoying to say the least. Is it on or is it off-my head is spinning :-)

Nov. 30, 2009, 08:07 PM
Anyone have an update? We have quite a few going and haven't heard a word from Gary about it being canceled.

Nov. 30, 2009, 08:27 PM
The show is cancelled due to lack of entries.

Nov. 30, 2009, 11:24 PM
I was going but hadn't gotten my USEF card til today so I didn't fax in my entries. OH WELL> Looks like the economy is just tanking the shows.
Was going to take one to this show on thurs and then 3 to a "B" show on Sat.....budget.
Heard Fla is even worse than last yr and they were down 60% last year.
NOthing like a good solid recession. I wish they would quit telling us it's over.

Dec. 1, 2009, 10:56 AM
BB, I don't think it's fair to say that the economy is tanking shows. There are lots of reasons people don't go to shows, or don't go to a particular show. When I showed just a few weeks ago down in Raleigh, we had 17 or 18 younger A/Os--that's one of the largest fields of AO's I've ridden in. And, it was like that at many of the shows I did this past year.

I was one of the ones intending to show at Morven, but I can also imagine a lot of reasons why people would choose to opt out of it. All of those reasons are why I skipped it last year and was going back this year grudgingly. For example, it only has one ring that tends to stay very cold due to its position so historically someone gets stuck showing after 8pm at night in 15 degree weather and for whatever reason it's always THE COLDEST WEEK OF THE YEAR TO THAT POINT...so many people are in outdoor stalls in 19 degree weather and say "hey, this isn't a lot of fun, maybe I won't put this on the calendar for next year" or they wait to post enter to see what the weather is going to be like for the week. I like to go to it because it's convenient and I enjoy supporting independent shows, but it's definitely a labor of love or mark of insanity to show in the freezing cold at a facility that has very few options to escape the cold during a week that never have unseasonably warm weather. As sure as it will rain at Upperville, it will be freezing at Morven--it's more reliable than the Farmer's Almanac.

Dec. 1, 2009, 11:41 AM
I never saw a prize list for this show this year, so that's why I scratched it off my calander. I never get WGB managed show prize list to begin with for whatever reason. I usually end up picking them up at my normal haunts in Middleburg, but none were there this year.

Dec. 1, 2009, 01:22 PM
Do you think it will be back on if people send their entries in? So many people post-enter this show for weather related reasons.
With a high of 52 I think lots of people would have planned to enter this week or at the show this weekend.
Last year we only had 4 in the AOs but man, did we have a lot of fun! That was the first go in the handy for us and we had a lot of laughs.