PDA

View Full Version : super sensitive to a hard rub???

Dapple Dawn Farm
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:09 AM
Has anyone ever had a horse this sensitive? At my jumping lesson on Sat. we were doing grid work with a 2 ft. vertical at the end. My horse had a hard rub with his hind hoof on the fence and was 3 legged lame for the next few strides. I immediately got off and we checked him over, he definitely just hit it with his hoof (had the white paint mark to prove it) and then walked him out a bit. He was fine after a minute or so but what the heck, I've never had a horse so sensitive, anyone else... and what did you do about it if anything?

WorthTheWait95
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:15 AM
He just stung himself, it happens sometimes. He won't react that way to every rub most likely. Scary the first time you experience it but they're fine after a few seconds usually.

PNWjumper
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:06 AM
I agree with WortTheWait. Every now and again a horse will hit a pole "just right" to come off of it 3-legged lame. Nothing to worry about and certainly not an indication that the horse is particularly sensitive. He just stung himself much like when you stub your toe "just right." There may have only been a mark on the hoof, but he most likely whacked his coronet band as well (often the culprit of the "sting").

Small Change
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:27 PM
Think of it as being similar to hitting your (not so) funny bone - it doesn't take a very hard tap to make your whole lower arm numb, tingly and unhappy.

fascination
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:13 PM
Think of it as being similar to hitting your (not so) funny bone - it doesn't take a very hard tap to make your whole lower arm numb, tingly and unhappy.

That, or possibly more like stubbing your toe.

Dapple Dawn Farm
Dec. 1, 2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks for your supportive replies...after 30 years of riding hunters and never having a horse go three-legged after hitting a fence I was quite worried about him. He has no ill after affects so that must be what happened.

fordtraktor
Dec. 1, 2009, 08:55 AM
He could be sensitive, but that's OK! I had one like that when he was green. When he hit a jump he would stop dead and shake, certain he had broken all his legs. He is just a huge wimp and can't tolerate any kind of pain. He still can come hopping in from the field not using one leg, and be 100% sound an hour later after one bute.

This is not a bad thing if he is still game -- mine turned out to be the best jumper I ever had. He is very careful and never has a rail that is his fault. You have to be careful developing sensitive ones, though, as they can turn into stoppers if you get them to a few bad spots. This horse went up the levels much slower than I would have on other horses, because I was too worried that he'd lose confidence.

*Liz*
Dec. 1, 2009, 12:04 PM
I knew a horse who was just like this once. He was a young OTTB, green and just getting started over fences. I was watching him school one day when he hit a wooden picket/gate pretty hard. He landed cantering off 3 legged. The rider hopped off, we all checked him over, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. After a few minutes the rider hopped back on and resumed work - the horse was fine. He did this a few more times to my recollection before he learned that life was not ending when he got a hard rub. He was definitely very sensitive in all aspects of his life though.