PDA

View Full Version : Clinicians who are good with Kids?

lcw579
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:11 AM
I am helping our Pony Club (Radnor Hunt) find someone to come do a clinic for our kids this Spring - hopefully in April. Anyone have experience with people who are great with kids at different levels? People we should definitely stay away from? (I don't mean that in a bad way - just meaning that some people are better at engaging young riders than others)

To those of you in the area - if it all works out we are hoping to open up clinic spots on the second day for the general public.

gully's pilot
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:14 AM
Cathy Wieschhoff is fantastic--she does a lot with pony club, she has a young son, and she really relates well to children. My 11-year-old daughter adores her. Plus she's a wonderful teacher to all levels--will not intimidate the young ones, but will give the teens plenty to think about.

asterix
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:17 AM
my farrier, who runs a busy lesson/eventing barn (ok, his wife runs the barn, thank goodness or I would never see him!), has Buck Davidson in on a regular basis. He says the kids LOVE him.

tle
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:24 AM
I've also seen Cathy work with kids and she's good. Dorothy Crowell is another one I'd recommend from my experience.

eponacowgirl
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:42 AM
Kim Severson was out to work with our local pony club and they all had a wonderful time.

Tazzie
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:54 AM
I've seen Buck Davidson work with a large variety of age ranges, and he does a fabulous job. Makes those kids better riders and gives them a ton of confidence.

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:21 AM
What levels are you talking about? Costs?

Buck Davidson, Boyd Martin, Ryan Wood...all fairly local and are clinicians most kids get a real kick out of riding with.

Kim is great too. Sharon White I bet would be good. Sally Cousins is very good at teaching large groups...also more local.

I've seen Leslie Law teach kids well.

I've also heard great things about Becky Holder's clinics...no idea about teaching Kids.

Basically...there are a ton of good people out there to try...I'd personally jump at the chance to ride with Ian Stark...he's not taught in the area that I know of.

But a lot of it will be costs and availability...as in April, most of the above will be gearing up for Rolex and busy competing. And a lot is the kids...and how teachable they are.;)

You will have some kids not like some clinicians...you can never please everyone!

Jleegriffith
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:49 AM
I was going to say Sally and Boyd as they seem so positive and are quite funny which would make the kids feel at ease. That area is loaded with really good trainers so I would use the local talent.

piaffequeen
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:03 AM
Caroline Atherholt Dowd is AWESOME with kids-most of her students are kids and she is always. always POSITIVE! She has done clinics with pony club in the past.:)

Sudi's Girl
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:41 AM
I rode in a clinic with Jon Holling, and b/c of a timing issue, ended up riding with a bunch of fabulous kids (instead of weenie adults like me! hehe)... At any rate, he was engaging, encouraging and hilarious with all of them! Loads of fun. :)

lcw579
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep them coming. We are lucky to have local options but want to make sure we aren't overlooking someone great.

As for level - probably mostly D3s and then the Cs and up. At least that is who I think would sign up - kids that have already evented and want to improve their game, but you never know. So we would offer two sessions based on experience.

Forgot about Rolex - that was dumb - that could throw a spanner in the works...

Ltc4h
Nov. 30, 2009, 02:09 PM
For flat work;
Colleen Kelly will be here from Australia during that time.
I love Phebe Devoe and Dona Ruth, wonderfully encouraging with kids.

Highflyer
Nov. 30, 2009, 02:21 PM
Sally Cousins is great. If she can put up with me and Captain Apollo, she can deal with anything :D

caffeinated
Nov. 30, 2009, 02:26 PM
Boyd Martin was out at our farm over the weekend to work with the pony club kids and I hear everyone had a fine time :)

Ja Da Dee
Nov. 30, 2009, 03:25 PM
Becky Holder is a great choice, I believe she has done a ton of work in MN and Area IV with junior rider programs.

VAevent
Nov. 30, 2009, 05:00 PM
Melissa is a great teacher, with a lot of patience, has worked with Pony Club kids and is an ICP level 3 instructor.

You can reach her via Phyllis Dawson's barn in Purcellville, VA.

Bravestrom
Nov. 30, 2009, 05:36 PM
I would maybe check with your area association- they should probably be able to give you some names.

HurricaneHolly
Nov. 30, 2009, 06:44 PM
Ryan Wood-I can tell you that my daughter had an awesome lesson with him a year ago. She was almost 8 and had some bad habits. He worked with her and made her feel very confident. He even got on her pony and gave him a lesson/ attitude adjustment about water. The pony now goes through any water!! Ryan was very kind with her. I was jealous that I did not have a horse to ride- now that I do-I'm next for the lesson with Ryan!!

Duramax
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:18 PM
You are probably familiar with Cherie Gaebel since she is in your neck of the woods, our PC'ers in the Carolina region absolutely adore her! Another vote Dorothy Crowell, she came to our region several years ago and was well liked!

RunForIt
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:25 PM
I would say to get in touch with Ann Haller via www.ashlandfarm.com (http://www.ashlandfarm.com)

Ann is an incredible teacher for all ages, but is very, very attuned to helping youngsters become excellent eventers while they are learning the fine points of horsemanship. Ann is well known in Pony Club from one level to another and folks from across the country can give you details of her fine clinics. The recent winner of the Rocking Horse HT Training 3 Day Event, Kerry Tracey, often gives Ann the majority of the credit for her success with her riding and her horses. You can't go wrong with Ann Haller. :cool:

ClassAction
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:25 PM
Tom Davis from Flatlands. I ride with him and he is great with kids and adults of any ability.

AKB
Dec. 1, 2009, 11:50 PM
Paul Ebersole is great with kids.

Phaxxton
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:42 AM
Another vote for Buck Davidson or Kim Severson. They're both great clinicians and I think they'd be great with kids.

I'd also suggest Chris Hitchcock. He'd be wonderful with children and is a very good teacher.

Wee Dee Trrr
Dec. 2, 2009, 04:05 PM
I've been eventing since I was 10 years old (I am now 23) and the clinicians I've liked the most as a kid and teen were Jim Wofford, Ian Stark, Dorothy Crowell, Holly Hepp, and Jon Holling.

Now I have not had the fortune to ride with all the others suggested, but that is my personal list. There is really only one person I've ridden with that I would NOT recommend for children. If you'd like the name you can PM me. : ) Hope your kids have a great time!